UV paint on decoys ?

Velocette

I did all mine last time I cleaned them,bought mine from eBay, very reasonable, I cant say one way or the other if it worked but its worth a try, all the 'experts' say they do see UV , even if it only brings in a few extra its worth it, it certainly has not put them off. :good::good:

Edited by lakeside1000

I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted with UV paint:

post-74369-0-27755600-1441141369_thumb.jpg

post-74369-0-23815700-1441141375_thumb.jpg

I can't tell you if it makes a difference to how many birds are attracted to the decoys, but running with the theory that higher UV reflectivity makes things more visible to pigeons, here's an interesting comparison between the standard markings on flocked shells and how it looks with one neck patch painted.

Please can you take one of a pigeon under uv at some point for comparison. Edited by BrowningB525

I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

• 3 years later...
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 22:26, Jim Neal said:

I've got 34kg of dog food sat on top of my pigeon freezer at the moment (chest freezer) so when I get that shifted off I'll grab one for a comparison if you like. I'd take a guess that its white bits would be a little more visible under UV than a standard shell, but probably nowhere near as pronounced as the artificially painted one!

How's it going with the dog food? I'd be interested to see a real pigeon under UV light, if it glows then there is a good case for UV paint.

On 31/08/2015 at 08:30, Velocette said:

I just fancy touching up the white neck paint on a few decoys and wonder if its worthwhile adding a dab of UV reflective paint because some folk say that pigeons "see" UV . Any suggestions where to source some please ?

No such thing as special "UV paint" or "UV reflecting paint". Any bright white paint will reflect UV and yes I do think it's worth doing.

hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, there is a posting on here on the same subject, re painting decoys, and the color of paint with those trial pots, i wrote them down,    home base  Dulux night jewel grey/ maraschino mocha 2 matt /  and a pot of white. 

But the pigeons are not that fussy, grey primer and a bottle of tippex for the neck bars, couldn't be much easier!

20180526_074214.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I was interested enough to invest £0.79 on a UV torch from Hong Kong (which must have been delivered by Camel train.) I took a couple of photos using a frozen pigeon and a couple of my decoys.

It was interesting to see that the Pigeon's wing bars looked a denser white than the "undercoat white" on the touched up decoy above and that the Flock decoy below was pretty dull, although It wasn't necessarily in the hot spot. The printer paper and white plastic battery terminal covers looked bright.

I'll take more photos when I get half a dozen or so fresh pigeons, I'll make sure that the neck patches are on view (I couldn't on the frozen bird)

Capturexx.JPG.fb99abbd33a3b06131c25f31f33152ed.JPG

On 11/02/2019 at 09:20, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Very smart job tightchoke......👍20180526_074214.jpg

8 minutes ago, martinj said:

Capturexx.JPG.fb99abbd33a3b06131c25f31f33152ed.JPG

Food for thought.. Ive always topped up the white bits on my deeks, it certainly can't hurt. Its cheap and only takes minutes to do so why not?

In the interest of further enlightenment I have taken photos of pigeons and decoys under UV light as the only light source, and we can compare them to Jim's photo with UV paint.

The photos are self explanatory:

1. my decoys with touched up white bits, using household white undercoat - Dulux or similar.

2. The real deal pigeons

3. Jim's photo with UV paint (of unknown brand)

The photos could be better but It seems clear to me that the touched up decoys are a reasonable match with the real birds and that the UV paint that Jim used looks unnatural. This is good because undercoat is inexpensive, it's readily available and you might even have a tin in your shed.

Capturecdc.JPG

Capturezz.JPG

Capture123.JPG

Edited by martinj