Sloe on here today

malkiserow

NO

Ha! :oops:

It's a very interesting post(s), but I can't help thinking that you are missing a trick. I have a sneaky suspicion that the colour of the gin isn't that important - after all the flesh of a sloe is pale green, so really a taste test is the way to go, preferably daily and in the morning to get it out of the way. May I suggest having different samples; frozen, unfrozen, pricked, unpricked and by way of a control, neat gin. Best to reapeat the test at lunch time too as taste buds may work differently in the morning.

It could be quite taxing so have the evening off and have a quite tot or two to relax.

Good luck.

This thread is very good. I had to chuckle....

I've actually been seduced a bit by damsons since last years poor sloe crop.

Benefits of damsons:

You pick less

You ***** less

You drink sooner

Well - basically - Damson gin `apparently' is ready after 3 months - sloe gin takes a good 6-9 months to obtain optimum drinkability. I've found some wild Damsons near my house and after 2 weeks soaking in gin (and some in vodka) the drink is already a lovely ruby red and tasting very nice. Should easily be ready by Xmas.

I will pick some sloes - we seem to have loads this year. I tend to wait until they are nice and soft so probably pick them early November. I won't be freezing them! They can soak a while and be ready for Xmas 2016.

Due to last years poor sloe crop I only have 1 litre made up so I've had to buy some - Tesco have Greenhalls Sloe Gin on clearance for £9 a bottle!

Happy boozing everyone.

• 2 weeks later...