Building a new duck pond

Hi all,

After about two years of procrastination, I have finally got a fence up and cleared the area where I am going to get a pond dug out.

The man with the digger has been to see the area and thinks that getting it to hold water will be fairly straightforward - a burn runs beneath the trees down the side of the area - it will be diverted. I wonder if any of you have any thoughts on the pond's construction, in terms of shape, depth and the number of islands I should include? I'm thinking two.

There is a splash about two fields away that fills up in the winter. It draws in a good number of teal and some mallard but I would like something more permanent that I can feed year round and hopefully draw in more birds. Do you think there's any chance that geese will come in too?

Many thanks for your insight.

post-75614-0-44126800-1441105244_thumb.jpg

We dug one that was about 2 meters deep in one corner then all sides were shallow for quite a few meters to waters edge. We had one island that Ducks nested on once the cover started growing on it. So as long as you've got plenty of shallows for feeding you should be fine. Another thing we put in was a shallow run across to the Island so we could wade across if needed if and unwanted trees etc needed taking off. Is there any big water bodies/coast/rivers near by?

Looks a decent sized area for a pond (guessing 30mx 60-80m?) but once u start digging and the spoil gathers u won't have a massive ammount of room for doing anything too fancy with the shape, a funny + shaped island will give the most shelter from any wind/weather.

But islands dinae really give nesting ducks that much protection, foxes have been filmed swimming 00's of m out to islands to steal eggs.

As said above plenty of nice shallow bays for feeding. Think pond design stuff on BASC and GWCT sites

Wot direction des the hedge behind it run? Would imagine that will be ur natural postion for butts but will depend how the relates to the SW wind. If thats the plan try to clear any trees to give u a nice clear skyline for spotting the sillouttes against the sky

By rights offically' if u start diverting burns etc ur meant to get red tape involved so just watch wot ur doing or pipe a feed in so doesne loo to obvious

Thanks all for the advice. I'm hoping it will be fine to run the edge of the pond in line with the fence - not with an entirely regular shore line but as you say Scotslad, it isn't big enough to start making little sheltered bays or anything like that. I'm going to try and maximise the water area - is grass space important or would birds be happy to graze the grass beyond the fence?

There's a sort of natural raised rocky area so I'll probably keep that as an island and then build another in a cross shape.

I plan to position butts at the bottom of the hedge as birds should come in towards the hedge, in accordance with the wind, so shooting in the direction of the fence over the pond.

And yes, Henry, about 700 metres from a decent little river. There's a lot of ponds within a kilometre and a few larger lochs nearby too. So I'm hoping it works out well.

Increasingly I'm thinking it's a bit of a lottery when building flighting ponds. Who knows if the ducks will or won't take to it but fingers cross it will provide a bit of sport!

Are u taking the spoil/soil off site? If not u will be surprised how much area that can take up and the deeper u go the more spoil u have to move. May depend on ur sub soil wot depth u can go to, quite often in this area sub soil is fairly impermabale to water so makes a good base but if u go below it might not be so good. Will depend wot r sitting on, ur driver will know

Most of the new ponds i've seen dug the 1 fault they almost all have, is digger driver putting soil heap to close to pond then u end up with a cracking nice shallow pond but very steep banks right on the waters edge (have had to adapt ours for that reason). Most digger drivers will do it as saves time/money moving the soil less

I was hoping to dig another pond this year (but put off till next year now) but not planning on making it more than 3-4ft at deepest and mainly 6"-18" over most of it, won't be as large as ur's thou.

The only other thing i'd say is put a sluice in it so u can alter the water depth or drain it to unsilt it etc. I just knock 3 posts in either side to create 2 90 degree timber retaining walls and place boards on over the hole and any leaks between the gaps slide a bit of plastic down the face, ruff and ready but cheap and works for me.

In this area i'd be amazed if a pond like that did not attract duck, dumfrisshire's moving with them, might be slow the first year but if it kept fed should do well.

Ps I not a big beiliver in islands (but others will) even just leave the rocky bit and leave a couple of 1m wide strips coming off it at various angles? Or even shallower bars just under water level so vegetation can grow and shelter the duck from winds will also add more territories for when the duck start breeding, better if ducks can get away from the drakes for a bit

I desilted a pond a few year ago and never thouht about leaving a few strips like that till the end, left a couple and just gives that added bit of shelter

Cheers Scotslad. You certainly know your stuff. I'm seeing the driver tomorrow, so I'll map out a plan tonight and he'll hopefully get digging next week. I'm just going to take the spoil away from the pond into the field.

I'll post some pictures when it's done. You're right about Dumfriesshire and ducks - it's amazing how many you can get coming in on a tiny body of water. It makes up for the lack of pigeon shooting we have anyway.

Cheers Scotslad. You certainly know your stuff. I'm seeing the driver tomorrow, so I'll map out a plan tonight and he'll hopefully get digging next week. I'm just going to take the spoil away from the pond into the field.

I'll post some pictures when it's done. You're right about Dumfriesshire and ducks - it's amazing how many you can get coming in on a tiny body of water. It makes up for the lack of pigeon shooting we have anyway.

So its not just over here near stranraer, we struggle with pigeon to, the ones you see get one shot and them they are not to be seen for ages. Hope everything works out well with your pond, so were are you based.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just thought I'd send some pictures to show you how it turned out. Digging started last Monday and the final tweaking concluded yesterday. I'm pretty happy with it. It will take a bit of time for the spoil to bed down and the reeds to start growing again.

I've started feeding it already. I probably won't shoot it at all this season. Perhaps once late on in the season if there's a big number coming in.

Any thoughts on how long it takes for ducks to find a new pond?

Patrick

post-75614-0-49533100-1446646323_thumb.jpeg

post-75614-0-74333800-1446646330_thumb.jpeg

post-75614-0-43066800-1446646443_thumb.jpeg

Edited by DumfriesshireDucks

Fingers crossed. You always hear stories of people building ponds that ducks just don't take to but I doubt that will happen as we are about half a kilometre from a river and my splash a few fields over draws in loads of ducks. Every other pond in the area always draws them in, in good numbers too.

It's shelves pretty gently away from the banks and the islands. It's probably 1.5ft at its deepest point but the margins are about 2 to 8 inches.

If it is not too late dig another hole between the stream and the pond. Divert the flowing water into this hole which will act as a silt trap for the small particles of earth held in solution in the flowing water. The particles will drop to the bottom of the static water.

It will always be easier to clean out this small area of water/silt than to clean out the main pond.

The pond looks great by the way.

Edited by JDog

Fingers crossed. You always hear stories of people building ponds that ducks just don't take to but I doubt that will happen as we are about half a kilometre from a river and my splash a few fields over draws in loads of ducks. Every other pond in the area always draws them in, in good numbers too.

It's shelves pretty gently away from the banks and the islands. It's probably 1.5ft at its deepest point but the margins are about 2 to 8 inches.

The one i dug at the MILs was finished the beginning of last year and a few ducks used it straight away.

Kept feeding and numbers went down to zero and even all winter there were hardly any signs of use although the odd feather so i put the motion sensor camera down and left it.Again hardly a thing was captured till 2 weeks into February when it suddenly became stuffed with mallard,teal and especially widgeon so i thought thats them started.

Fed all this summer but just the odd pair so really put loads of barley at it in September and for 2 months there lucky if half a dozen came in and was thinking its not to be.

Went down last week and feathers everywhere,muddy water and lots of feed gone and ive been at it every 2 days for a look and there must be loads using it but dont understand why its taken so long but there must be some reason.

Its not like there is a lack of ducks in the area as ive another one about 2 miles away as the crow flies and they love that one.

Planning on shooting the MILs one for the first time ever as in just under 2 years its the first time i am confident of good numbers on it in season.

Funny how they have the favourites and sometimes the smallest of splashes produce the bigger numbers.