Pigeon shooter teacher wanted

Bplatten

Hello all

Im new to this forum and read some post and was wondering if anyone could help me out i havent been shooting very long and ive been out pigeon shooting a couple of times but i feel like im not doing something right, i put my decoy in a big u shape with my decoy facing into the wind, build my hide so the i can still see out further enough, some pigeons start to decoy but then get scared but something and i dont know what.

Can any one recommend and little tricks and method that might help me in the future.

Hope to hear from you soon

Ben

The reasons could be many really, but dependant on where the sun is, something bright, even behind your scrim netting, will show through, especially if it's moving. Have a look at your hide from a few angles from the perspective of a low pigeon; if you can't see anything then the chances are it could be you. Do you shoot with sleeves rolled up? Do you start bobbing about when you see a pigeon approaching? Are you sneaking a quick peek over the net when you 'lose' the bird or are you pressing your face up against the net for a better look? Does your seat have stainless steel legs? Is your flask stainless? I'm good looking, but if you're ugly, as soon as you stick your face over the net a pigeon will flair off. :yes:

Hi Ben, there is a mass of information both on here and you tube, some good and some not so good, but experience through regular shooting is the best way , you can experiment with patterns, decoys, both mechanical and standard, use a decent cartridge, try to shoot at the correct range and with the correct choke.

Pigeons are strange birds, what works one day will fail the next, one day they will come in down wind like bullets turning at the last second to land, another day they will circle out and come in into the wind flying slow and virtually hovering over the pattern, the rest of the time they will pass you by not even giving your decoys a second glance.

You may well pick up some tips from a couple of sessions with an experienced gun ,particularly on pattern building and types of decoys , but just keep trying, learn the way they react to different conditions, flight lines etc.

If you let us know where you are Im sure there will be a PW member local to you who would be happy to help. :yes::yes:

Are your decoys plastic or flocked. Flappers, floaters or magnet? Normally it's a glint on something that will jinxs them at the last second. Comes with experience I hate to say. Only way to get that is to get in the field and keep changing bits until it starts working.

Don't get to eaten up on the hide, movement is the main issues in there,as long as your not moving to quickly before the bird has set its wings then you

L be fine. I have shot with orange t-shirts. No hide, sat on a blue bucket on end of hedge with 2 dogs sat next. Even out in the middle of a feild on drilling with single net in front and had birds coming in over my head from behind.

Just takes time in field to understand what's not working at the time. Get out, set up and be prepared to ring the changes.

As we have not had a response from you (3 people asking for location) could I suggest you look at the BASC website and find a BASC Pigeon shooting course.

This will help you in many ways.

If you were near to me I may well have offered to take you out or meet with you, Practical help is always the best.

There are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people on PW, but you will have to be open with us to get the very best of what is and could be on offer.