The right way to tackle a new perm?

fishbone

Hi people!

I'm pretty new to taking my shooting seriously. Been shooting on and off for years but consider myself a complete newbie having only bluffed my way along up until now with only (very limited) opportunistic "success" under my belt.

I've just acquired a lovely new permission which I'm really chuffed about. The farmer is keen and is pointing me towards his rape but by his own admission knows little about shooting and strategy. I'm thinking how best to approach this new perm or in other words what you old hands do in the first few months of getting new permisions. Obviously recon and observing flight lines but even then the farm is huge and somewhat daunting if i'm honest!

What do you mean when you say that the farmer is pointing you towards the rape?

In most areas only spring rape will still be standing, the majority of rape stubbles will have been turned over, and newly planted rape will be of little interest to pigeons for several months.

Your location would be a help.

The first thing I do with new ground is mark the land boundaries on a map, so I know exactly where I am allowed to be.

Familiarise yourself with footpaths, bridleways and any other "sensitive" areas.

Spend as much time on the land as possible, even if its only short sessions (with or without a gun)

You know about recon and flight lines, so you will see what areas the birds prefer and that will help you.

Usually it takes a few full years of crop cycles, before you can really get a full understanding of the potential of the land.

What do you mean when you say that the farmer is pointing you towards the rape?

In most areas only spring rape will still be standing, the majority of rape stubbles will have been turned over, and newly planted rape will be of little interest to pigeons for several months.

Your location would be a help.

hi mate

I'm in Oxfordshire. He's keen on me shooting over the rape. Why? I don't know really :no:

The perm contains woodland and some recently ploughed feilds. Also some of the fields are huge. I didn't see many birds on the ground on my initial walk at about 12:30 in the day. Its knowing how to interpret what I'm seeing with a view to successful shooting where I struggle.

Hi people!

I'm pretty new to taking my shooting seriously. Been shooting on and off for years but consider myself a complete newbie having only bluffed my way along up until now with only (very limited) opportunistic "success" under my belt.

I've just acquired a lovely new permission which I'm really chuffed about. The farmer is keen and is pointing me towards his rape but by his own admission knows little about shooting and strategy. I'm thinking how best to approach this new perm or in other words what you old hands do in the first few months of getting new permisions. Obviously recon and observing flight lines but even then the farm is huge and somewhat daunting if i'm honest!

Hi fishbone,

Which part of Oxfordhshire are you in?!? I'm West and have a couple of farms I could show you how I do mine if you like or come with you and have a look at yours and give some ideas...I usually get up on my perms early and sit watching the flight lines, then pick the best one and set up.....(don't worry J Dog, none of the farms are yours!!).....

Hi fishbone,

Which part of Oxfordhshire are you in?!? I'm West and have a couple of farms I could show you how I do mine if you like or come with you and have a look at yours and give some ideas...I usually get up on my perms early and sit watching the flight lines, then pick the best one and set up.....(don't worry J Dog, none of the farms are yours!!).....

I trust you implicitly.

Hi fishbone,

Top offer I find my self in a similar situation. I'm in Leicester if anyone else can help another newbie

Hi fishbone,

Thanks mate ill send you a message.

Dan