Sign in to follow this  
fishbone

Air rifle or shotgun

Further to my recent post about a new perm...

I'm going to treat myself. I love air rifles and kinda fancy an HW100K. Though at 1 Gee for a good rig cheap they are not..

Do you guys consider a sub 12 air rifle to be an effective tool for decoying/roost shooting or do you think the money would be better spent on a nice 12bore?

Dan

They are totally different tools , the airgun will never compete with the shotgun for the shear amount of pigeons you could shoot with it but it will allow you to shoot the odd one in areas a shotgun would not be able to.

Air rifles are great sport. If you have a perm with some good sitty trees on it, then good bags can easily be had. Its sometimes just a nice peaceful way to spend a morning/afternoon....

pernod

If shooting on a serious farm then your farmer friend would expect you to give him some kind of service shooting the pigeons . A shotgun is always going to be a better tool than an air rifle . An air rifle is probably a good tool for shooting a bird or two for the pot ,but will never compare with a shot gun .

Harnser

I find generally that the pigeons don't land in my decoy pattern - as they approach they realise that it's a con and start to move off (by which time I've (hopefully) shot them). Younger woodies and ferals seem more trusting / stupid, so they do land sometimes. But if they come in in twos / threes then as soon as you shoot one the others will be gone - try shooting them with a rifle mid-flight. Two barrels and a shotgun gives you much more flexibility.

Roost shooting is different of course - if you want to pick them off the trees then it's probably easier with a rifle. I tend to take both out with me - I'll dispatch winged birds with the rifle from the hide to save appearing out on the pattern and if any bunnies appear or some pigeons in awkward trees I have the choice...

Hello can anyone help I've a 18yr old bsa super sport 22 in need of repair new barrel and a service local gun shop said £115 but offered me a bsa meteor Evo for £165 do I buy new or repair any thoughts???

Personally I would probably buy the new gun now and keep the other one to be repaired in the future, only never getting it repaired, and it just sitting there taking up room for ever more...... I'm not saying this is what you should do!

Thanks for that that's what I was thinking ha ha, it's been with me so long I couldn't get rid moving up to rim fire in the new year so I'll soon have a collection

i have both the s/gun for numbers a/rifle for fun 1 farm i shoot has domestic buildings around the farm yard worker cottages etc and the pigeons let you get very close and i regulary shoot 8 or 9 with the a/rifle up to 30 yds cant get within 150 yds on the farm itself

Give yourself some options and get a 2nd hand HW100, and a cheap shotgun ...... both in your total budget, and when you know what you prefer you could upgrade in a year or two.

I've been shooting with a shotgun since age 11, but last year got an HW100, and as others have said ...... it's a really peaceful way of spending a quiet evening or two.

I use both everytime i go out i will set up on a rape field with my decoying equipment and try to get within 30-40 yds of sitty trees either side of me birds coming into my decoys i use shotgun birds landing in trees i use airgun .then around 3 oclock i pack up get into the roost wood and use my airgun as they land into the trees to settle for the night .several times i have bagged 23 birds plus before dark using my airgun which i find more satisfying than the shotgun. Ps walk away from the hw 100 though i've had 3 all from new and all leaked .i use the fx cyclone 177 .

I agree Michael I've 30 years airgun hunting experience with many different rifles.

FX won't let you down I have three and my Cyclone is dam good.

Air rifles are great sport. If you have a perm with some good sitty trees on it, then good bags can easily be had. Its sometimes just a nice peaceful way to spend a morning/afternoon....

pernod

+1

Fishbone

If I want a gun for roost shooting and decoying I would grab the 12 bore, if I want a gun to spend the day stalking around the woods and hedgerows I would without doubt pick the air rifle.

Sorry but you need both :)

Stationary = Air rifle. = Stealth/quiet . = peacefull

Moving or stationary = Shotgun= Noise (Scares other quarry, and locals unless moderated).

Simples. :good:

But both is good :yes: