Carrying Wildfowling gear in view of the Public.

BlackBoar

So this year i plan on visiting some new places to fowl. My dilemma is that to get to these areas i would have to carry my gear in plain sight of the public for a short while..

I dropped the camo for drap colours but still worry about walking with my gunslip on show.

Seen some guys break their gun and stick it in a rucksack, which would be a grand solution. Would a surplus bergen take a broken gun with 28" barrel?

What does everyone else do?

Cheers

I have a similar problem as I travel to-and-from on a motorcycle (about 3hours)

On the days when I carry my semi-auto (can't be broken to any useful length), I dismantle it and wrap all the scratchable parts in camo tape before placing them all into a plain green slip.

I then wrap the slip in a bin bag or tape it up so it look less like a gun and more like a fishing rod.

All the rest of my stuff I've managed to contain in a medium size (black) ruck-sac.

For added safety I keep the piston in my pocket, so if I come a cropper on the bike, it will come with me to the hospital :-) and leave the rest as useful as a plank.

I realise this is for a 3hr road trip and might not be suitable for a short jaunt from the car park, but the wrapping and unwrapping become second-nature after a while, so I can now do it in the pitch black.

There will always be those who say if it's legal then you've nothing to hide, but then there is the other approach based on the minimisation of risk. If the gun is broken down and in your rucksack, nobody will know you have a gun; if it isn't, people will. It really is up to you and your assessment of those around you.

For example a pub near me sees whole groups of people trooping in there on a Saturday afternoon during the season all with gun slips on their shoulders. There are parts of the country where that can happen, and there are parts where it most definitely can't.

I have been in one club were you weren't allowed to carry deeks outside your bag even

Personally I think it's counter productive to hide stuff away

Cammo well there are times and places you really don't want to portray that sort of image

There are few marshes the shots can't be heard and a spotting scope trained on you during daylight so hiding things walking out????

I often use a Napier breakdown gun slip... I use it if I have a long way to walk as it then fits into the bergan with Derek's etc and easier to carry..... But it does also disguise it.

I've carried shotguns on bikes for many years and have never yet been stopped by the boys in blue, despite overtaking them a few times :-)

I see you are from Strathmore in Fife. It should not be a problem walking to and from the fore shore in Scotland as long as your gun is in a slip. If in doubt contact BASC for

clarification, I often park my car in a layby and walk a bit on a road and then onto the shore also another area that is used a lot by dog walkers and so far I have never had any problems.

I was accused once by a land owner of armed trespass by crossing one of his fields to access the shore. I told him he was talking tripe that as long as my gun was unloaded and in a

slip I can access the shore and for clarification I contacted BASC Scotland and this was confirmed by them.

Legal to be there? Legal to shoot where you are going? Legal to own the gun?

If so just get on with it. Security is another matter all together.

I never shove shooting in other peoples faces because some people are upset by the thought of 'things' being shot - But I'm damned if I will hide things so that others aren't offended. If they don't want to see legal shooting in progress then they should stay away from the area where legal shooting takes place.

Legal to be there? Legal to shoot where you are going? Legal to own the gun?

If so just get on with it. Security is another matter all together.

I never shove shooting in other peoples faces because some people are upset by the thought of 'things' being shot - But I'm damned if I will hide things so that others aren't offended. If they don't want to see legal shooting in progress then they should stay away from the area where legal shooting takes place.

My sentiments exactly.