SABS's Shooting Tales 15/16

shoot and be safe

This season I'm lucky enough to be shooting at a few different shoots, so with that in mind, I thought I would start this topic to be a type of shooting diary with reports of my days in one place.

Hope you enjoy them.

All the best,

Sabs.

Edited by shoot and be safe

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanmer Shoot

2nd September 2015

This day started out with an initial enquiry back in May this year, when Reggiegun enquired if I had any partridge days planned for this coming season, as he and his lad (Gingar) fancied a bash at trying to bag a bird or two.

Following a quick search of "Guns on Pegs" and emails to several shoots, to see what they had available for our little group, I had a few options for us all to choose from. A couple of phone calls later with the shortlisted keepers to discuss the whats and what nots, we had our shoot day booked and deposit paid.

Roll on to the day itself.

The day started early with a very wet walk (early morning dogging in for the crown) for myself and Indy (my young lab),who sadly couldn't join us for the day as she has come into season :/

Once back home it was a quick freshen up and time to don the tweeds for the first time this season :yahoo: Pack the vehicle with the hamper, coats, boots, guns, cartridges and everything else required for the day, then it was off to pick up Mr Brown for 07.00hrs.

As we left Mr Brown's the heavens opened and we had rain, sometimes torrential, all the way to the arranged meeting point and surprisingly we arrived before reggie :/ A quick phone call and he was only two minutes away :)

The mood on the journey wasn't the most exciting with all the rain, but it didn't dampen our spirits too much, as we were starting our shooting season and kept cheerful in the hope the weather would improve. This it did as we enjoyed our breakfast.

Following breakfast it was time for the meet and greet as the other guns, the keeper and shoot captain arrived soon after 0915. We loaded up the gun trailer with everything we needed for the day, except the small hamper I had prepared :oops: which we could have done with later on between drives :/

Once loaded onto the gun trailer we received the safety brief and asked if we wanted a duck drive to start, as this would give the partridge a chance to get some sun on their backs and dry out a bit after all the heavy rain overnight. Nobody objected, so we picked pegs and we were off to the duck drive.

First drive. Ducks

This first drive involved all the guns taking up positions around a small wood with a duck pit inside. Once on our pegs the beaters pushed the ducks off the water and the drive was underway. None of the guns took any shots at first to give the ducks a chance to gain some height.

20150902_101039_zpsbpi390nd.jpg

Once they lifted from the pond and circled around they had a good height to them and sporting shots could be selected and taken.

20150902_101347_zpsxrxmamvs.jpg

I only shot 4 on this drive for 6 shots, I could have had plenty more but driven duck isn't really my bag and I was happy following a left and a right, plus bismuth can get expensive.

To be fair to the keeper and shoot captain, they called the drive after a short time (probably less than 5 min) to let the ducks settle back in without being exhausted, plus we had close to 30 ducks in the bag.

Once all the ducks had been picked (28 in total), we headed back to the gun trailer to pass compliments about each other's shooting and how well one of the gun's young dog worked for him. It was Peppar's first time out on a driven day and warm game come to that, she worked well and did her owner proud. :good:

Second drive, 1st Partridge drive.

This saw us pegged in a small paddock with a reasonable sized chestnut horse. Arthur the captain said not to worry about the horse, as he has never known it be bothered in over 12 years shooting in this paddock.

We were pegged very tight on this drive and it was very hard to pick a sporting bird that wasn't flying towards your neighbouring gun's neighbour, like I said very tight.

Tight%20partridge%20drive_zpsqdazfsig.jp

Mr Brown and reggiegun were both pegged in front of me and I believe they both managed to bag a bird or two.

I was a back gun on this drive and had the advantage of seeing the birds coming before the front line and had a good bit of sport taking 5 for 5, including a left and right :D

Soon enough the drive was over and the birds collected. 20150902_110928_zpsm68qcp6y.jpg

As you can see I was fully ladened with both the Good lady's gun and cartridges as well as my own. I am a true gent :whistling:

Then back onto the gun trailer where we took a short break before the next drive. This is where we could have done with the hamper (a few nibbles and various bottles of alcohol) to help oil conversation between the other guns who were all pleasant and had a story or two to share. Luckily Mr brown remembered a bottle of port which was passed around and one of the other guns had some tapas which she offered around also, so not all that bad.

After about a half hour break we headed off to the next drive.

3rd Drive 2nd Partridge

Following a short drive along the country lanes, it was time to alight the trailer with the guns and cartridge bags in hand ( 2 sets for me as I had brought the 20b along for the good lady to have a go with if she wished and I didn't fancy leaving a gun behind in the trailer). After a "short" walk and several electric fences later, we were again placed on our pegs by Arthur. We were pegged out a little more sparingly on this drive with about 20 yards separating guns.

20150902_120551_zpsvesrg8hs.jpg

Reggie and Alix were my neighbour's neighbour with Mr brown taking up as a back gun between. It was going to be difficult to "poach" their birds without upsetting my neighbour so I refrained and dropped one at his feet instead, :whistling:

I was pegged on the far right of the line, with a small wood offering hope of some high birds.

20150902_120612_zpsa546vq1i.jpg

This was the case and slightly impaired my cartridge to kill ratio and by the end of that drive I had a further 5 for 9.

This was one of their main drives and produced steady flushes throughout from the cover crop on top of the 30' bank above the line. The partridge flew a lot higher than other days I've shot them on, you still had to pick your sporting birds from the many that were presented and I really enjoyed this drive as the majority of the birds were testing.

Lunch.

Lunch was served in the gun room

20150902_125546_zpscexrvddu.jpg

20150902_125554_zpsoslktcb2.jpg

A selection of beer, wine and water was offered to compliment the food which was served when all the guns took their place at the table. Lunch gave us a chance to talk with the guns at the "opposite end of the trailer". The old boy of the guns was a gent of the highest order, he spends most of his time over in Spain now and was great to chat with, as were the other guns.

Soon enough lunch was over and we were back on the trailer and fit to burst :)

4th Drive. 3rd and Final Partridge Drive

Suitably fed and watered, we meandered through the village with the bottle of port becoming less and less. We then settled in a gateway where we decamped and walked down to the pegs through a reasonable sized heard of dairy cows.

Again we were pegged by Arthur and this found me on number 5 right in front of the action. Having already had a good day so far, I decided it was time the 20b had an airing and also the good lady could have a bash if she wished.

20150902_140746_zps6pwslqal.jpg

Again we were pegged below a bank with the cover up on top. The birds lifted in small coveys and offered good sport. I only took 3, one of which hit hard but missed the vitals causing the partridge to fall to the ground like a thing possessed and almost taking my neighbour's head off before it crashed to the ground never to move again. "sorry" :blush:

I then handed the gun to Amy, who took a great right to left with her first shot :yahoo: 1 for 1. I'm so proud she rose to the challenge and continued to take 2 more good clean kills for a total of 3, with her 20b, well done sweetheart :wub:

All the game was collected up and added to the others already on the game cart. The guns re grouped on the gun trailer where compliments were passed on everyone's day's sport and apologies made (by me) for possessed birds wanting to take my neighbour's head off. "Sorry" :blush:

Soon enough we were back at the pub where the final tallies were done and the day came to a finish.

A quick photo in front of the game cart,

Game%20cart_zpsqq1cidfm.jpg

Say our thank yous to the beaters and final handshake with the keeper which left Reggiegun, Gingar, Mr Brown, The Good Lady and I to go and sample the delights in the pub :drinks:

I believe the final tally to be:

28 Duck,

136 Partridge.

We all had a good day's sport and our fair share of the bag.

I would like to thank Reggiegun, Gingar, Mr Brown and The Good Lady for their company for the day and hope you all enjoyed yourselves as much as I did :good: Oh and an extra thanks to Amy for driving :yes:

All the best

Sabs.

Good write up Mark, nice to see you all so very well dressed.

I think I've said this before but no reason not to say it again, for someone who has only been shooting game for 3 or so years you are impeccable well dressed and conduct yourself in a social heartily jovial manner, your a credit to shooting as a whole. Enjoy your exploits, I look forward to reading about them.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for all your kind responses :good:

I have to say, your kill ratio continues to impress! (As does the face fuzz) :lol:

I think I was just lucky to be on form in all fairness. The fuzz started out from just being lazy, but it has grown on me :lol:

The time and effort you have put into posting is greatly appreciated. A good write up.

It took around 4 hours for the first draft then an extra 2 to add the pictures and edit. Then a further 3 hours to rewrite after I hit the delete tab :oops:

Happy birthday by the way :good:

excellent write up and pics.....hope no one was asleep in that caravan though.... :):)

They remained asleep if there was anyone in there :whistling:

Cracking write up - sounds like you had a great day.

How do you find booking unknown shoots via the likes of Guns on Pegs etc. I've always been a bit reserved about just booking and taking a gamble on the shoot and other guns?

What's the ballpark cost of a day like this?

Happy to be PM'd if you don't want to go public with any answers.

Cheers

Cracking write up - sounds like you had a great day.

How do you find booking unknown shoots via the likes of Guns on Pegs etc. I've always been a bit reserved about just booking and taking a gamble on the shoot and other guns?

What's the ballpark cost of a day like this?

Happy to be PM'd if you don't want to go public with any answers.

Cheers

The booking part was a simple affair once the shoot had been selected. Deposits paid via bank transfer and the rest to follow on the day.

There is always going to be a gamble on booking days this way, but I've a fairly open mind and board shoulders to make the day enjoyable for the others and myself.

The biggest issue for me not to enjoy a day, is poor safety by the other guns.

I'm not afraid to talk to "strangers" and often find them to be quite intresting to talk with.

All the guns and guests on this day, engaged in conversation with each other, even if a touch pompous at times. Having said that, the pomposity wasn't that bad and what little there was, provided plenty of banter for us on the journy home, but that's another story :lol:

A quick search on guns on pegs will reveal the cost. But you have travel, breakfast, cartridges and keepers tip to add to that.

Thanks for the enquiry

ATB

Sabs

Edited by shoot and be safe

The booking part was a simple affair once the shoot had been selected. Deposits paid via bank transfer and the rest to follow on the day.

There is always going to be a gamble on booking days this way, but I've a fairly open mind and board shoulders to make the day enjoyable for the others and myself.

The biggest issue for me not to enjoy a day, is poor safety by the other guns.

I'm not afraid to talk to "strangers" and often find them to be quite intresting to talk with.

All the guns and guests on this day, engaged in conversation with each other, even if a touch pompous at times. Having said that, the pomposity wasn't that bad and what little there was, provided plenty of banter for us on the journy home, but that's another story :lol:

A quick search on guns on pegs will reveal the cost. But you have travel, breakfast, cartridges and keepers tip to add to that.

Thanks for the enquiry

ATB

Sabs

Thanks Sabs

Sounds reassuring - may just give one a go, been registered with Gun on Pegs and Outside Days for few years now and not used either yet

Hi

Thanks for taking the trouble to share this with us all

Looks like you all had a nice early season day nice to see you all looking smart and well turned out

And well shot

Are we running a sweep an how many shots or head to your peg this year

Just a thought

All the best

Of

Thanks Nigel, I think it was the stick you gave me that improve my shooting ;)

I like the idea of a sweep, I'll have a think about it as the season progresses :good:

Thanks for sharing, great write up and a great day!

Thanks, all the best with the "taster" day you're hosting for your pals.

Don't forget your hamper like I did :oops:

Nice write up there Mr K. Looks like you all had a cracking day. I'm looking forward to our lot starting, I've not been on the shotgun for a while.

Not long to go now Andy, if you fancy a round at fauxdegla (Wednesday evenings or sundays) or Leadbrook (when it's on), on the clays, give me a shout. :good: Edited by shoot and be safe