SABS's Shooting Tales 15/16

shoot and be safe

SABS,

Great pictures and write up as usual.

It was a pleasure to have you and TGL shooting with us, and I'm very pleased that you both had a good day. Thanks for spending a few quid on the PW raffle, raising money for a very good cause, and for making the effort to travel down to Northamptonshire.

Cheers

Colin

think the gunbus is a rb44 boughton truck....could be wrong, sure someone will correct me if i am.....

You are correct!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice to see you both had a good day mate :yes: your shot ratio was poor though :whistling:

I trust PhilR was on form :| as hes a fair shot and a good guy .

Well done to all involved for taking part at the charity shoot and offering prizes :good:

Thank you for the kind words magman :good: I did add the two pigeons to the bag :yes:

A very good report SABS and it was a pleasure to host you and TGL, even if you are Northerners :lol::lol::lol:

Looking forward to the N vs S Charity Shoot 2016.

Really good, that gun bus is amazing! Birds sound great as well. Cheers, well shot.

Thank you, the birds were presented fantastic. A few of the regular guns on the shoot said, I think the 5's need a airing next time :yes:

SABS,

Great pictures and write up as usual.

It was a pleasure to have you and TGL shooting with us, and I'm very pleased that you both had a good day. Thanks for spending a few quid on the PW raffle, raising money for a very good cause, and for making the effort to travel down to Northamptonshire.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin, I'm glad you liked the write up and the traveling was well worth the effort. You have a fantastic shoot :good:

Thank you for the kind words magman :good: I did add the two pigeons to the bag :yes:

A very good report SABS and it was a pleasure to host you and TGL, even if you are Northerners :lol::lol::lol:

Looking forward to the N vs S Charity Shoot 2016.

Much appreciated Phil, and I'm glad you enjoyed our "northern charm" ;):lol: Edited by shoot and be safe

The Crown Shoot
Both TGL and myself
7th November 2015

Originally this day was going to be the day when the lucky winners of the charity shoot raffles were due to be in attendance.
Sadly all 3 prize winners had to cancel due to various reasons :unhappy:

Codeye was one of the winners and very kindly offered his prize to the Good Lady to shoot on his behalf (subject to approval of course), as he had read that she was getting into this game shooting lark. The Good Lady gratefully accepted his offer and stood on her own peg for the day for the first time by herself.
20151107_112406_zpsso5tclzl.jpg

Mk38mags was running the day as the shoot captain was away on business.
We all met up in the regular place where introductions were made to the other guests who were shooting the other spare pegs.
Soon enough pegs were picked, the briefing was made and we were off to the first drive.

1st drive Aled's
Mr Brown was looking after one of the guests, a young lady who rose to the challenge at short notice following a peg becoming available.
20151107_100941_zpsngfgjouq.jpg

Having picked peg 3 myself, this saw me out in the field to the left of the cover.
The beating team push through the cover and presented some fantastic birds.
Only small flushes of 2s and 3s, but they climbed well and some fell as they passed the guns. I believe all guns had some sport and I accounted for 1 on this drive.
With the drive over we headed back to the vehicles.
20151107_103937_zpsjx6jwgs9.jpg

2nd FF
This was the Good Lady's turn to shoot and she was placed on her peg (8) by magman as I went off with the beaters with Indy.
20151107_110642_zps3a7b4yxg.jpg
We pushed through the turnip field bumping the birds as we went into the gully. Once the gully had been pushed I joined Amy, as she was towards the far end of the line but close to the cover we had just pushed.
The sun is never going to be in your favour if it breaks through the clouds.
20151107_112337_zpsxj3yaxde.jpg
But this didn't stop TGL from adding 2 to the bag, the first one with her first shot. Well done and I'm very proud of you :yes:

3rd the gully
Now on peg 5 and in the action.
20151107_1205280_zpsjtehanor.jpg
I started off well on this drive dropping a hen from a great height with my first shot of the drive. A cock soon followed a little lower, too which I gave a 2 barrel salute to as it flew past. The drive continued with many birds being flushed, it was a pleasure to watch LHJ (peg 6) next to me drop a superb cock from well over 35 yards, well done Laura.
20151107_122346_zpsku14d7iy.jpg
Picture taken by the Good Lady who was acting as a stop half way up the field

The guns to my left also had a bit of sport with a few birds testing their skills.
I only added 2 to the bag from this drive and both retrieved by little Indy.

Tiffin time
We have been taking it in turns this year to provide some light bites for the day.
Tiffin%20071115_zps2uyf5uhr.jpg
This day TGL and I rose to the challenge and put on a little spread along with a few bottles to help wash down the crumbs :lookaround:
3 bottles of Prosecco, a bottle of sloe gin and a bottle of port, along with all of the food later, it was time for me to beat the territories.

4th territories.
I went off to push the lower wood back towards the guns as the beating team headed for the cover. Once Indy and I had pushed the wood we joined the beaters in the top cover.
The Good Lady was pegged on peg 1, below the cover and had a couple of shots at the one bird that flew past to her far left.
20151107_134458_zpscg1voqdn.jpg
The cover crop is at the top left of this picture, with some of the guns pegged below and behind the trees to the right.

5th The Nant
It was during the walk into this drive that I had a chance to talk with one of the guests a little more who had been pegged next to me all day. It turned out that he was PW member "misser"
I thanked him personally for his kind comments on this topic whilst I placed him on his peg and offered guidance on how this drive worked.
20151107_143830_zpse0zdbxit.jpg
Compared to what has been shown on this drive in the past, it was very quiet. The majority of the birds broke towards the end of the drive from the Christmas trees at the top of the valley.
I had a good few shots and added a few to the bag and then handed my SxS to the good lady to have a bash with, but by then the drive was almost over and no birds presented a safe shot. TGL had offered her gun to the young lady guest who was shooting under the supervision of Mr Brown and after a nervy start, she connected with her first ever pheasant. :yahoo:
Misser lived up to his name :whistling: although he did drop a nice hen that came from behind, well shot sir.
It was during this drive that Indy had a first. It was the first time that she had been on a peg next to me without a lead on :D
20151107_151006_zps9bdddree.jpg
She was also kept busy picking the birds that I had shot aswell as the birds of my neighbours, as they didn't have a dog.
Well done kid.

6th and last drive
Dogging in drive, peg 3 for TGL.
This was the same as last time, with the beaters pushing the birds away from the guns. The idea being that birds flying towards the pen are left and those looking to join the neighbouring shoot are shot.
Sugar%20beat_zpsx9yr8rlv.jpg
Photo courtesy of Mk38mags towards the end of the drive as the beaters returned towards the guns.

A couple of birds were added to the bag of this drive and when it finished,we headed back to the vehicles.

The final count.

Final%20bag%2071115.png_zps74ygnuvh.jpeg
It was a tough day with the weather but a respectful bag of 43 for 163 made for a good day and we retired to the pub.

Later on in the evening some of the guns reconvened at the Red Lion, for a meal and a small firework display laid on by the landlady's son and myself.
20151107_220619_zpsmeuju5zr.jpg
20151107_220241_zpsz3y5gfpc.jpg
20151107_220257_zpsy2f7afi6.jpg

I had a fantastic day and thoroughly enjoyed myself, it was a pleasure to watch some great shots (TGL's hen on the FF and LHJ's cock on the gully drive being two examples), with plenty of banter throughout the day.

The Good Lady also had a cracking day accounting for 2 in the bag (a cock and a hen) and I can only thank Codeye and magman for the generosity towards her. Thanks lads :good:

I would also like to thank Mk38mags for running the day and to everyone else who was involved. Well done to you all :yes:

Thanks for reading.
All the best
Sabs

Nice write up there SABS. A good bit of reading. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and really good bit of lunch by you and TGL.

It was a bit of a heavy wet start and guess no one wanted to get camera out to prove it. Some great pictures of our great little shoot.

Glad it went well and all enjoyed. It was a pleasure standing in with help from Steve and a few others.

👍

Nice write up there SABS. A good bit of reading. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and really good bit of lunch by you and TGL.

It was a bit of a heavy wet start and guess no one wanted to get camera out to prove it. Some great pictures of our great little shoot.

Glad it went well and all enjoyed. It was a pleasure standing in with help from Steve and a few others.

It was a grand day, even if a little wet with all the rain. Although it did give me a chance to do my Gene Kelly impersonation :whistling:

20151107_140546_zpsupkcphkj.jpg

Glad you enjoyed my jottings :good:

This is better than most of the rubbish the shooting magazines push out :)

Well done on another great write up and well done to all involved

:shaun:

Many thanks Shaun, much appreciated :good:

You have pm by the way ;)

always nice to see the william ford getting some use.

shame it wasnt still in my hands of course.

great write ups for the forum so good on you.

atb

fudds

Hi Fuddster. How you keeping?

I have to say, the William Ford is my favourite gun to shoot. And I have shot some great birds with it since buying it off you.

It will be out with me again on Thursday, when I visit a "localish" shoot.

Thanks for your kind comments :good:

Really good as always mate, you should publish a book!

+1 😋

Don't give him ideas like that I can see the picture now

SABS shoot day tipples 🍸🍷

SABS Shooting times 😂

TGL cook book 🍪🍰

Etequete on the field by SABS 😚🍸🍷🍺

The list is endless 😋

Seriously though mate great read and well earned birds on a great day out

Glad the good lady had a bird or two well done

Enjoy the rest of the season

All the best

Of

+1 😋

Don't give him ideas like that I can see the picture now

SABS shoot day tipples 🍸🍷

SABS Shooting times 😂

TGL cook book 🍪🍰

Etequete on the field by SABS 😚🍸🍷🍺

The list is endless 😋

Seriously though mate great read and well earned birds on a great day out

Glad the good lady had a bird or two well done

Enjoy the rest of the season

All the best

Of

You do make me laugh Nigel :lol:

I was chuffed to bits when Codeye offered his place to TGL and over the moon when she took up the challenge and stood on her own. The icing on the cake was when she connected with a brace, one of which was retrieved by little Indy. She is really getting into the spirit of the shooting day.

We will all be out on a peg together soon :good:

Thanks for your kind words and making me giggle :lol:

Catch up soon mate :friends:

Another great write up SABS, love that you don't need too many words as the pictures usually tell the same tale, a nice honest way of telling a story. Plus the photo's are natural and offer a great and natural look into how the shoot is.

Congrats to The Good Lady, she looks very much the part and bet she'll be one day showing you up! :yahoo: . The other lady in your life looks great too, some good pics to keep of Indy there.

Also, every time I see that picture of your tiffin arrangement, it makes me feel starving, looks a great display there. Good shooting, good food and well behaved dog = good day out and worth celebrating.

Nice touch on the fireworks too, bet people loved that.

Another great write up SABS, love that you don't need too many words as the pictures usually tell the same tale, a nice honest way of telling a story. Plus the photo's are natural and offer a great and natural look into how the shoot is.

Congrats to The Good Lady, she looks very much the part and bet she'll be one day showing you up! :yahoo: . The other lady in your life looks great too, some good pics to keep of Indy there.

Also, every time I see that picture of your tiffin arrangement, it makes me feel starving, looks a great display there. Good shooting, good food and well behaved dog = good day out and worth celebrating.

Nice touch on the fireworks too, bet people loved that.

Cheers Chris, your comments are much appreciated :good:

To be fair to TGL, she is getting quite good. She has been known to shoot more clays than me in the past on some difficult stands :blush:

I wouldn't say indy was well behaved. She did flush a couple of pheasants on the territories before the beaters were in place :ninja:

I didn't know about the fireworks until I got to the Red and the locals asked if I brought any fireworks to add the the collection. I got a lift back home and grabbed some of the display ones I have, to add to the collection the pub had bought. The landladies son hadn't set of large display fireworks before so I gave him a bit of guidance ;)

He did a great job and got into the spirit of being showered in sparks :lol: The display lasted the best part of 5 minutes which everyone enjoyed.

It was a great end to a fantastic day :good:

To be fair to TGL, she is getting quite good. She has been known to shoot more clays than me in the past on some difficult stands :blush:

I wouldn't say indy was well behaved. She did flush a couple of pheasants on the territories before the beaters were in place :ninja:

I didn't know about the fireworks until I got to the Red and the locals asked if I brought any fireworks to add the the collection. I got a lift back home and grabbed some of the display ones I have, to add to the collection the pub had bought. The landladies son hadn't set of large display fireworks before so I gave him a bit of guidance ;)

He did a great job and got into the spirit of being showered in sparks :lol: The display lasted the best part of 5 minutes which everyone enjoyed.

"I wouldn't say indy was well behaved. She did flush a couple of pheasants on the territories before the beaters were in place "

Ha ha, I remember the words you spoke at the time😂

I think Indy could smell the pork pie I had hidden in my pocket. 😆😆

Lovely write up, and another great day on The Crown Shoot :good:

I agree with Mentalmac - the food spread was well worth a photo, and I have to say it is far by the best tiffin layout I have ever seen. Very impressive!

Thanks Will, your kind words mean a lot :good:

"I wouldn't say indy was well behaved. She did flush a couple of pheasants on the territories before the beaters were in place "

Ha ha, I remember the words you spoke at the time

I think Indy could smell the pork pie I had hidden in my pocket.

Good job you took the extra pork pie for the Tiffin table and Indy decided to take a interest in it. She could have quite easily flushed the whole drive instead of the 2 she did :blush::lol:

Oh, you'll have to be careful, else TGL will end up leaving you at home whilst she's out shooting! You'll have a list of chores to do and all! :lol: .

In fairness, I take my step daughter of 11 out with me and often I just watch her shoot or take a friend of mine and watch him shoot - lazy I know, but sometimes nice to see someone starting out and then really enjoying our sport.

Typical Lab's eh, food focussed?! haha :-) Bet you said some words you wouldn't repeat in front of a child :lol:

Liking the fact you got asked for some fireworks but still had some to bring with you, that's pretty good of you. I'm always chief firework lighter at my parents display, mainly because I am the least likely to worry about being blown up. Was harder this year as I simply couldn't run away anyhow (family trying to kill me off?!) - we had some rockets which were 4 oz's, huge shell - largest you can get before going pro - they sure made a bang.