shoot and be safe

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cotswolds

With Pigeon Watch Icons
6th January 2016.

What a great way to start the new year, shooting on the best shoot I have probably ever shot.

This day was put up for offer by JDog in early December. It was a shoot I knew nothing about, but the team was made up of a few chaps I really wanted to shoot with. A couple of PMs later and I was booked on :good:

The Good Lady and I drove down the night before. We got checked in and headed straight to the bar :drinks:

20160105_214014_zpsmmqwdz9f.jpg

A lovely little pub that made dogs feel very welcome, the young lady behind the bar kept giving Indy treats. Indy even had her own bed in the room.

Onto the day itself.
With the arranged meeting time at 08.00 (at the country inn we stayed at), it meant we could have a lie in :whistling:
Promptly and on time the vehicles started to pull onto the pub car park. Following a quick meet and greet outside, we then headed inside to await the others who arrived shortly after.
Breakfast was a great opportunity to chat with everyone and set the tone for the day (it was going to be fun with plenty of banter around the table as we ate our food). JDog gave a little "team" safety brief which set the standards and etiquette for the day. One little rule that will always stick with me from this day will be "No pigeons to be shot at until the first game bird has been attempted" :whistling:

Breakfast over, we headed off to the farm where we were invited into the farm house for a port and to pick pegs. The shoot safety brief was then given by the captain, after which we made our way out to the vehicles and on our way up to the first drive.

The tunnel drive.

We drove in our little convoy along the country roads, turning off and along a stone track to the parking area.
We gathered all the kit we were going to need for this "undemanding" drive :ninja:

As we walked over a small bank, this is the view we were greeted with.
20160106_100345_zpssocaqdmn.jpg

The pegs were from the top of one bank, down to the railway track and across to the top of the other bank.

20160106_100859_zps4twgvkej.jpg
OJW standing 20 yards behind the camera on peg 7, myself on 6, SNS 5, Lloydi 4, "1 ton safe" opposite side of track, PC half way up the bank on 2 leaving JDog with the longest walk up on 1. Jim was a back gun on peg 8, 30 yards behind the line.

Soon the flushes started coming over the line and the shots started to ring out.
I missed my first chosen bird and I blamed the dust in my barrels :lol:

I connected with a great cock that SNS saluted with both barrels as it passed over his head. I'm not sure on the distance it would have been, but I couldn't believe I connected with it.

The drive continued and pigeon controller shot his first driven pheasant (well done PC) from a good height.

20160106_1020040_zpsuy7m4cdb.jpg

The birds continued to fly over the line and the shot count continued to rise.
The majority of the birds on this drive were well over 35 yards up and poor lloydi would have had 60+ yard birds from his peg close to the railway line.

Soon enough the drive was over and I believe less than 20 birds had been shot.

Elevenses consisted of a glass of mulled wine and hot sausages and very nice it was too :drool:
20160106_105246_zpswvtfgyno.jpg

The field drive.

Moving up 3, this now saw me out on the far right on peg 1.
I had decided that the hammer gun deserved a airing on this drive and boy did it get warm.

Screenshot_2016-01-08-00-20-25_zpseejnfn

I would have been standing around 20 feet below the main line of guns as the field rolled away. When the birds started coming over they were at various heights for 15 yards right up to the gods.

Screenshot_2016-01-08-00-16-45_zpsbiocxn

I accounted for a couple going over the trees with the hammer gun for far too many shots, so I swapped back to the William Ford, which I had also taken to the peg.

There was plenty of shooting across the line and a good number of birds were added to the game cart. Little Indy even managed to make 3 nice retrieves on some of the birds I shot.

Screenshot_2016-01-06-15-59-41_zpsctbxx2

A little bit more tiffin was then offered in the form of sloegasms and hot sausage rolls.
20160106_115325_zpsyhxikn91.jpg
20160106_120536-1-1_zps79nbyoup.jpg

The woodland drive.

Moving up 3 again, I was now on peg 4. Having had a good few birds on the previous drive, it was time for The Good Lady to have a go, so out came the 20 bore.

We walked/slid down a muddy track down to the pegs at the bottom.

20160106_124519_zpsfi4cxttt.jpg

Amy insisted that I had the first couple of shots and what a great shot my first one was. As part of JDog's team brief back at breakfast, he said that the etiquette of the day was not to poach your neighbour's bird, but if he was to miss with both barrels it was fair game thereafter. If you did connect with the bird, then the bragging rights are yours. All I'm going to say is, I enjoyed my first bird that was above my neighbour to my right ;)

The drive continued with the birds flying over the tops of the mature trees. I accounted for another two before I insisted TGL took the gun.

Screenshot_2016-01-08-00-56-52_zpsdaae2q

Amy duly stepped up to the challenge yet again and accounted for 2 good high birds coming over the tree tops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qogGF3D--w&feature=youtu.be

I really enjoyed this drive and got quite excited when the high birds fell, so did The Good Lady, as you may hear on the video above :blush:
After the drive ended, we started on the walk up the muddy track back to the vehicles, where we were greeted with a choice of hot soups and quiche.

20160106_131655-1-1_zps89bxhity.jpg

Whilst we were enjoying the hospitality, JDog pointed out a hermaphrodite pheasant, with hen colours on the wings and cock colours on the breast.

20160106_132831_zps1wwnadid.jpg

A view to a thrill drive.

After the convoy taking the scenic route to this drive (we weren't lost, I just missed the entrance to the field) we parked up started on the long walk down to the pegs.

20160106_134439_zpstat4ejaw.jpg

The first 200 yards was along the track up to the top of the field. As we went through the gate I caught a glimpse of the white pegs at which we would be standing at the bottom of the field below.

I don't know if my heart started pounding from the thought of the walk back up or the expectation of the drive ahead.

20160106_134734_zpsjva5solt.jpg
The pegs are right at the bottom of the hill along the striped field coming back left and in front of the woods.

Once established on our pegs there were around 20+ pigeons fighting between the woods and over the guns. OJW asked if they were fair game, as no game had been shot at on this drive as yet, both SNS and I reminded him of JDog's team brief at breakfast and he wait patiently for the pheasants to start flying. Less then a minute later JDog took a shot at a pigeon breaking his own rules :no::lol: In all fairness it was a spectacular shot and he was jumping around like a school boy when it folded in the air, spiralling from the sky. I wouldn't have a clue as to its height as I only saw it spinning out of the sky. This was the first of the only 2 pigeons shot on the day, both by JDog on this drive along with a pheasant that had flown the line and dropped to his first barrel and from great height. These 3 shots had to be the shots of the day in my eyes.

20160106_141523_zpschgyupaq.jpg

Back to the drive, I was now on peg 7 and standing in front of the woods. The majority of the birds on this drive flew to my right or curled back and dropped into the wood. It wasn't until the drive was drawing to the end that the flushes came over my peg.

Screenshot_2016-01-08-01-07-08_zpswyyqw2

These final flushes were huge and at various heights over the guns.
I only added 3 to the bag on the drive, 2 of which were picked by little Indy.

20160106_141703_zpswjdnossl.jpg

The memory and pleasure to witness JDog drop 3 fantastic birds will always stay with me.

This concluded the day's shooting and we headed back up the hill to the vehicles.

Once up there we were offered light refreshments as the final bag count was done.

20160106_145448_zpsfixucpyw.jpg

A team photo was taken before we headed off to the local village for a pint, conduct the formalities and to thank the keeper.
It was a fitting end to the day in the field and gave us a chance to talk with some of the beaters and pickers up.

But the day didn't finish there.
As we shot straight through, SNS very kindly offered to host the guns for a shoot supper back at his house. Now this was a fantastic finish to the day with excellent food and drinks on offer. I just wish I didn't have to drive home.

I would like to thank everyone involved in the day, especially: -
JDog for requesting the day and leaving me with great memories of shots that I can only wish I could pull off.
SNS for organising the day, providing the sloegasms and along with his wife, hosting us all for a shoot supper in the evening.
PC for letting slip a few secrets regarding pigeon shooting (well done again on your first pheasant and driven day).
OJW for his videos and banter.
The Good Lady for taking the photos and once again making me proud with the high birds.
And finally Lloydi for being the fall guy for the majority of the banter, mainly from JDog who missed a sitter and shot an "illegal" pigeon :lol:

Thanks to you all for reading.
All the best,
SABS.

Great write up SABS, truly captures just how it felt to be there

And thanks for reminding me of a couple of my (many) misses too........

Sorry...

But you did nave a cracking shot in the woods, plus many more throughout the day :good:

Thanks for a spectacular day :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

And just for completeness the bag was 119 pheasants and two pigeon. Albeit one of those was excluded from the game card. Presumably because somebody shot it too early on the drive.

Total shot count was 597. Though we probably ought to exclude that shot at the sitter in the tree from the total........

great write up SAB'S enjoyed reading that and sounded a cracking day out

and jdog always plays down his shooting ability but had the 3 best shots of the day pull the other one mr dog lol

I bet pc was a bit confused when he saw a pheasant and thought why are these not a bluey grey colour ??

and jdog always plays down his shooting ability but had the 3 best shots of the day pull the other one mr dog lol

I bet pc was a bit confused when he saw a pheasant and thought why are these not a bluey grey colour ??

Yes, It felt like shooting at chickens?????????

Well done SABS, brilliant report of a Brilliant day , thanks to you and The Good Lady for the report and pictures.

I won't mention the rule breaker??????

It was great to meet you PC and a pleasure to witness your first pheasant fall from the sky :good:

Is that the long version SABS?. Only kidding, a great report of what looks to be a fantastic day. Now PC has let some secrets slip we look forward to your pigeon report!

Very well done to all :good:

Yes this is the short version, I have heavily edited my first draft :lol: Thanks for your kind words :good:

Great write up! Sounds like you had a great day and was nice to see a picture of some of the pigeon watch legends!

I was a cracking day, I would go as far to say it was the best days shooting I've had this season. :yes:

Thanks for your kind words :good: JDog said his birds were just a fluke with his 26g of number 6 :whistling::lol:

A true report of an excellent day in very good company.

Reading SABS's post I now know why he and Amy had smiles on their faces all day - and I thought it was something to do with the shooting. Silly me.

Another thing I missed at the time as I was narrowly avoiding a heart attack from climbing the steep and muddy bank, was just how high the birds must have been over Lloydi on the first drive. This may explain why the back gun (thankfully not a PW member), had twenty four shots without a kill.

The mixed sex pheasant was interesting. I have seen them before. One had breasts like Dolly Parton and balls like my dog Jasper.

No one in the line could say that they were out of the shooting at any stage which is how it should be.

Depending on how rude people are about me it would be good to get that team together again (there will be spaces for other PW members). I would like to fix a day up here in the Lincolnshire Wolds next January for instance. Being able to shoot well will not be a condition for joining the team. Being a good sport who can give and take some banter will.

Edited by JDog

A true report of an excellent day in very good company.

Reading SABS's post I now know why he and Amy had smiles on their faces all day - and I thought it was something to do with the shooting. Silly me.

Another thing I missed at the time as I was narrowly avoiding a heart attack from climbing the steep and muddy bank, was just how high the birds must have been over Lloydi on the first drive. This may explain why the back gun (thankfully not a PW member), had twenty four shots without a kill.

The mixed sex pheasant was interesting. I have seen them before. One had breasts like Dolly Parton and balls like my dog Jasper.

No one in the line could say that they were out of the shooting at any stage which is how it should be.

Depending on how rude people are about me it would be good to get that team together again (there will be spaces for other PW members). I would like to fix a day up here in the Lincolnshire Wolds next January for instance. Being able to shoot well will not be a condition for joining the team. Being a good sport who can give and take some banter will.

A truly fantastic day. Glad you enjoyed my post from the day :good:

I am honored to now say that I have shot on a driven day with some of the Pigeon Watch Legends and witnessed some extreme shooting :yes:

Amy and I are looking forward to shooting with you all again some time soon :good:

I think that you had the 3 shots for the day on the last drive. Fantastic shooting :good:

Hi

Great write up again SABS thanks for putting it so elequently

And spilling the beans transsexual birds and illegal pigeons

Did you ever work for the news of the world 😚

Thanks again to the good lady for the pics and thanks for sharing the day with us

All the best

Of

Glad you enjoyed it Old Farrier :good:

Sadly the "News Of The World" didn't think my writing style and subject were appropriate for their readers :ninja: so I just freelance now :lol:

Your little 20b is serving both Amy and I well :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Cracking write up mark sounds like youve been having fun , on a more serious note next time your in the 110 can you see if you can find the parts of my knee that are missing I seem to still have a large hole in mine:)

Thanks Dean :good:

I'll have a look for your knee parts next time I'm in the 110, but can't promise anything :whistling: