SABS's Shooting Tales 15/16

shoot and be safe

Glad you enjoy reading about my days and thanks for your kind words :good:

I don't know about a book though :/

When you out next with your gopro?

I was out with it yesterday so been putting a video of the day together this evening. Bit of a shame because my filming doesn't do some of the birds justice! Will try and upload tomorrow or the next day :)

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bodidris shoot
12th November 2015

I have been looking at this shoot for a while and decided to bite the bullet and book a small 50 bird day for myself.

This shoot is fairly local to me and less than an hour's drive away, so alarm set for 07.00hrs to give me chance to give little Indy a bit of a run before I got suited and booted ready for the days shooting.

With the arranged meeting time for 09.15hrs, I arrived at the gate a little after 9.
20151112_141019_zpsk4zbjy4a.jpg
A couple of the beaters were already there and I made my introductions. I recognised one of them as a beater who has beat on the Crown. Happy days, a friendly face. :good:
Within a couple of minutes the rest of the guns arrived, followed shortly by the shoot captain.

We were invited into the shoot lodge for a morning coffee, which gave us a chance to introduce ourselves to one another.
Two of the guns were syndicate members of the shoot, true gentlemen and a pleasure to chat with.
We adorned our boots/wellies and jackets, received the safety brief and set off in our little convoy, to first drive.
20151112_222728.png_zpsonx9qvqj.jpeg

The First Drive, Ducks.
We parked up at the bottom of a field, where the pond was at the top.
After a 500 yard walk up the field,we were placed on our pegs by the shoot captain.
20151112_100629_zpssia3sr0k.jpg
Ducks are not usually my bag, but in fairness, these had a great height to them, with a fast wind behind to get them moving at some fantastic speed. Very challenging.
20151112_102047_zpserx3qrmw.jpg
I dropped 2 drakes from above the pylons some 50 yards+ for 16 shots (It took the first 14 bismuth no4s to get my eye in :blush: ) Once I had the two drakes in the bag I stopped shooting at the duck and watched the others enjoy themselves (plus bismuth is expensive at £1.30/shot)
The old boy to my left (syndicate member) had some fantastic birds. I wouldn't have even thought about attempting,let alone trying to have ago at them. 70-80yards minimum, stone dead in the air.
Soon enough the drive was over and the birds collected.

Drive Two.
This drive was only a short 50 yards walk facing a small thicket of trees.
We were told it would be a quiet drive with only a small number of pheasants presented.
20151112_104849_zpsuiuuc28z.jpg
I was a walking gun on this drive and managed a cock pheasant as it passed behind for the one shot I took on this drive. This was retrieved by one of the picker ups some 100 yards down the other side of the bank to my right.
Soon enough the drive was over.

We gently strolled back down to the vehicles, where elevenses were served.
20151112_111038_zpsztsyenin.jpg

Following the pork pies, quiche, glass of fizz and conversations with the 2 syndicate members about the day so far, we were back in the vehicles and heading to the 3rd drive.
20151113_010302.png_zpsbmiuogsc.jpeg

Passing some fantastic scenery
20151112_114927_zpsqijwv7kc.jpg

Including the ornamental flight pond
20151113_010831.png_zpso9qmfkk3.jpeg

Drive Three.

This was a small valley of clear fell with a strip of trees remaining.
20151112_120655_zpswxme8bth.jpg
There were a few partridge that flew over the gun to my far right, but he didn't see them until they had passed. A number of pheasants flushed over the guns to my left and right but sadly none over me.
So no retrieves for little Indy on this drive.
20151112_120638_zpsmj3kkmzz.jpg

Lunch.
This was served back in the shoot lodge and consisted of a beef stew and dumplings washed down with tea and coffee, followed by a slice of bara brith and mince pie :drool: and very nice it was too.

The Final Drive, Number Four.
I had asked at the end of the last drive as to how many drives were left, to which the captain said "one, but it will be a good one".
I was on peg six for this drive and set off in the direction of my peg.
With only 3 birds to my gun in the bag, I settled myself onto my peg.
20151112_132443_zpstrdk47lx.jpg

The drive got under way with a couple of single pheasants lifting over the guns to begin with, followed by large flushes as the drive continued. I was in the hot seat and conceded with 5 good birds for 10 shots.
One of the birds was a hen that I only pricked, I watched it glide for about 150 yards and settle in the field behind. At the end of the drive I pointed it out to one of the pickers up and she sent her dogs off for it. It was a pleasure to watch her work her dog from over 50 yards away the other side of a stream. Her lab duly picked the bird which was stone dead. A joy to watch and one of the highlights of my day.

That concluded the days shooting and it was back to the shoot lodge for the final count, 56 in total, along with the formalities as we bid our farewells.

David snr, the shoot captain, along with David Jr, the keeper, did a fantastic job of keeping us all entertained throughout the day.
I would like to thank them both for all the work they put in to making this small fifty bird day very enjoyable and I will hopefully return again this season when I have a team in place. :good:

Thanks for reading.
All the best,
Sabs.

Another great write up SABS, just shows it's not all about numbers it's a entertaining day out with others to break up the genreral grind of life. Keep them comming.

ATB Konnie.

Thanks Konnie. It was sold as a 50 bird day and I enjoyed the day very much, especially chatting with the 2 "Old boys" off the syndicate :good:

Hi Mark,

You won the lottery or what mate. All these away days?

Nah, don't do the lottery. I've saved all my pounds and bought a few days with them ;)

As always really enjoyed your write up. I've been curious about Bodidris for a while so good to get a feel for it from you. Great pics as well.

I'm awaiting a few dates to return again in January. I'll let you know if you would like to join our team :good:

Hi Mark, good write up on Bodidris, you should have mentioned that you'd been there to my dad yesterday as he's been lifelong friends with David Snr! Hope you enjoyed your day at ours and look forward to the right up!

Hi Daf, we really enjoyed ourselves yesterday at yours and the write up is underway :good:

It was a pleasure to be back in yours and your dad's company, along with the rest of you team who were all very welcoming to us all.

Thanks for your kind words about my shooting tales :friends: possibly see you later on in the season ;):whistling:

All the best to everyone.

Edited by shoot and be safe

The Newbridge Shoot
14th November 2015

"The Idiots off the Crown Shoot :w00t: "

This day was advertised on PW way back in April, Paul223 was quick off the mark to snap the whole day for some of us off the crown shoot to make up the team.
When the message came through, I grabbed it with both hands and signed up instantly as I had shot on this shoot at the end of last season (full write up of that day can be seen here http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/304553-a-day-on-the-woodcock-with-wildfowler12-dafydd1983-shoot/?fromsearch=1 )

Onto the day itself.

The 4x4 was packed the night before so once I was suited and booted and grabbed the guns from the cabinet, I was off to pick up The Good Lady (who had been out with work colleagues the night before and stayed at her mum's) and then on to pick up magman.
We arrived at the arranged meeting point with plenty of time, where we joined Mr Brown and the band of "merry men" he had given a lift to, then we were greated by Daf. Soon after the farmers joined us and we set off in our little convoy to the shooting ground.

On arrival. We were invited into the shoot room where tea,coffee and bacon rolls were being prepared for us on the log burner :drool:

20151114_091044_zpsmpwcob4a.jpg

We received the safety brief as we drank our coffee and soon enough, we were off to our first drive.

The first drive.

We lined up on the field and the beaters pushed the hedge rows.

20151114_095758_zpsyhctbyyz.jpg

This drive was a little on the quiet side, but magman did add the first hen pheasant to the bag.

20151114_100131_zpsfzfpcytu.jpg

The Second Drive.

This saw me in one of the hot seats with steady flushes coming from the woods.

20151114_101203_zps5vjnqnuh.jpg

Magman was to my right and on top of the field, we always have a bit of fun when pegged together and try to poach each others birds (it all adds to the day for us ;) ). I took a shot at a hen, as it passed well above my neighbouring gun to my left (he hadn't seen it), that I only caught the back end of, but magman was a split second behind with his shot at the same bird and folded it out of the sky. A spectacular shot of well over 50 yards :yes: I like to think I slowed it down a bit for him :whistling:

20151114_102717_zpsnazymgtw.jpg

Once the drive was over, we collected all the birds and headed back to the shoot room.

Elevenses.

This was a pork pie and a glass of Port which went down a treat with plenty of banter about the day so far.
With me having had a good peg on the previous drive I nipped back to the car and swapped the 12 for the 20 to give The Good Lady a chance of having a shot on the remaining drives of the day.

Drive 3.

Following a short stroll down the woodland track, TGL and I were pegged out on the far right of the line and got some sport as the birds passed the other guns.

20151114_110257_zps5q8kdvpk.jpg

This time magman was to my left and was not on form as much as he was earlier (must have been the port or the teapot impression)

20151114_110046_zpsdijdvdar.jpg

He let a couple of birds pass with a two barrel salute which were duly dropped by the 20 bore. The Good Lady shot the rest of the drive and but only had the one opportunity at a hen skipped through the tops of the trees, she was slightly annoyed with her self that she didn't double tap the bird and we watched it fly on for another day.

20151114_110650_zpsj0rlq2zk.jpg

Indy also had a couple of nice retrieves once the drive was over.

Fourth Drive.

This was back up the track, passed the shoot room and down another track.
This time The Good Lady had the gun for the full drive.

20151114_114736_zpsh6wwbm3k.jpg

Only a couple of birds presented a shot, but they were difficult to see through the trees. Amy did manage a couple of shots to salute them, as they passed.
Again magman was over on the far right of the line and did manage to add a pigeon to the bag.

20151114_121048_zpsp9kj5o3n.jpg

Lunch.

Whilst we had been out shooting, a large pan of stew had been simmering on the log burner.
I had also prepared a small hamper of pork pies, sausage rolls, cocktail sausages and a cheese board which was added to the table.

20151114_122828_zpsp61igfo8.jpg

Once we were all back in the shoot room, the Prosecco was opened and so were the flood gates of banter.
There is nothing better than shooting with your pals and we were almost in tears with all the laughter.

20151114_124515_zpstxi1a4c6.jpg

The stew was lovely, washed down with a couple of sloegasms, followed by cheese and port.

Drive Five.

This was down back down the same track as drive 4, but not as far.
Again Amy had the gun and was to be shooting the drive.

20151114_131757_zpspdnzzcef.jpg

Philmypower was pegged to our left and had some excellent shooting, connecting with 5 as they flew passed.
Mr Brown was to our right and also dropped a few.
The Good Lady had a couple of chances at some good birds and connected with a hen that broke the tree line to our right. It was a fantastic shot and I would estimate it to be at least 40 yards away, when she dropped it with the first barrel :yahoo: It was a very proud moment for me.
Amy then passed the gun back to me and I added another hen to the bag.

Sixth Drive.

Some of the guns walked down to their pegs and the others were driven down to the far side in the back of the landrover.

20151114_135908_zpshz7jbrhu.jpg

There was a slight miscommunication, causing a large gap in the line where a good number of birds flew. That being said, I had a few opportunities on the peg I was on and dropped a cock as it curled back to the wood.

20151114_140208_zpsgrwyepl1.jpg

At the end of the drive I sent Indy off for it, but it wasn't where I thought it landed. I worked little Indy up a little further and she picked up the scent. She soon returned with the cock in her mouth and delivered it to hand, another proud moment.
We headed back to the vehicles and then back to the shoot room.

That concluded the day's shooting and the bag was counted.
59 pheasants and a pigeon for 242 shots if I remember correctly.

The last of the port was handed around and the banter continued.
A brace was offered to the guns and handshakes all around to thank the beaters for the fantastic day they had supplied.

We all had a superb day and didn't stop laughing, our sides were sore from all the laughter.
I would like to thank Daff for offering the day. His father who hosted us for the day, Griff for pegging us out and all the beating team who did a great job :good:

I would also like to thank Paul223 for organising the day, all the guns for making a truly fantastic and memorable day, June for all the laughs and banter aimed at Philmypower and to The Good Lady for taking the photos and making me proud with her excellent shot.

Thanks for reading.
All the best,
Sabs

Great write up again Mark,

I always check back after a weekend to see if there is an update - I get all settled with a drink and snack to sit and read these reports.

Doubt there has been many who can beat your elevenses layout though - you'll be famous for it. Business idea: You should start pitching to other shoots to allow you to shoot there for the day and you'll bring a 'professional tiffin layout' for them haha :-)

Another great read SABS, enjoyed that.

Cheers Konnie, :good:

Excellent, as per :good:

Thanks Todd. :good:

How did you get on up in Penrith on the 9th?

Also, did the rally affect you up at Glyn on Saturday?

Thanks for the nice words Mark, like I said before, your team made it enjoyable for us, we enjoyed the beating as much as you hopefully enjoyed the shooting. All the best for the remainder of the season

We had a absolute fantastic day :thanks:

I can guarantee we will still be talking about it for a fair while yet :yes:

You have a great setup and formula, that works well :good:

Thank you for all you did on the day and fore your kind words.

Best wishes to your dad :big_boss:

Have a great season.

ATB

Mark

Great write up again Mark,

I always check back after a weekend to see if there is an update - I get all settled with a drink and snack to sit and read these reports.

Doubt there has been many who can beat your elevenses layout though - you'll be famous for it. Business idea: You should start pitching to other shoots to allow you to shoot there for the day and you'll bring a 'professional tiffin layout' for them haha :-)

I'm open to offers :whistling::whistling::whistling:

I actually enjoy doing the "tiffin", although it does help I frequent a quality pork butchers, who's pies are to die for :drool:

I'll see what I can sort for when we shoot ;)

Thanks for the kind comments :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Thanks Todd. :good:

How did you get on up in Penrith on the 9th?

Also, did the rally affect you up at Glyn on Saturday?

The shoot was fantastic. It turned out to be fully driven rather than walk 1, stand 1. We finished on 55 pheasant, 5 partridge and a few pigeon if I remember right? All the guns got great shooting, and the food was brilliant too. We enjoyed it so much that we're looking to book another day in January.

The rally didn't affect us this weekend, but the rain did, by christ it was wet! Still, we managed a few pheasant, and the first of the woodcock found their way into the bag too, courtesy of Bill :good:

That's how you poach birds :ninja:

With a little help from your friend ;):whistling:

The shoot was fantastic. It turned out to be fully driven rather than walk 1, stand 1. We finished on 55 pheasant, 5 partridge and a few pigeon if I remember right? All the guns got great shooting, and the food was brilliant too. We enjoyed it so much that we're looking to book another day in January.

The rally didn't affect us this weekend, but the rain did, by christ it was wet! Still, we managed a few pheasant, and the first of the woodcock found their way into the bag too, courtesy of Bill :good:

Sounds like a cracking day, wish i could have got the time off to join you. Dam this work getting in the way of my shooting :lol:

Well done to bill on the woodcock :good: Please pass on my best to him and all the others.

a cracking account of your day mark , and as ever , a picture of sartorial elegance :good: .

Cheers Mel, thanks for your compliments :good:

It is Lin's leather goods that enhance my shooting garbs :yes: I've had a few chaps on different shoots ask about them :good: