Licensing of air rifles.

chrisjpainter

Air rifle licensing READ DESCRIPTION!  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If licensing for Air rifles was necessary would you bother or simply hand it in?

• Yes, I'd get the license
    • No, I'd not bother

thanks there. You seem to have missed the plethora of posts in recent months about the issue of licensing. As it has come in north of the border, it's probably worth considering. If you read the long thread about Scotland, it's suggested that licensing will make sensible owners pack it in due to the expense and annoyance of having yet another license to apply for. This poll simply asks the hypothetical IF licensing was brought in, would people get them or just not bother with air rifles, thus killing off the grass roots of shooting. It's not unreasonable to hypothesise about a licensing system being brought in is it? Northern Ireland has it, Scotland's just done it, so why shouldn't we discuss it with England and Wales in mind?

You are definitely stupid.

1. I have not missed the news in Scotland.

2. This will not happen in England.

Strikes me you are a young boy whipping up rubbish. The status quo is where this has to be parked and left. So keep quiet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably isn,t , but lets be honest about this, if putting a licence on sub 12ftlb air rifles stops just one idiot from shooting a person then surely it would be worth it,,even though I cannot see a licence making any difference,,

there will always be stupid people in all walks of life,,,,,, as your post suggests :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ******* ha.

Half you airgunners want sub 12 ft lb rifles licensed don't you? Easy isn't it because you have FAC anyway.

The key thing is as you've stated above......"even though I cannot see a license making any difference".

I voted yes, only because I have had air rifles all my life for plinking and hunting

but I would like to see the 12lb limit lifted

I was watching a youtube clip and had to agree with an American that we brits because of the12lb limit have to get closer and more accurate with or shooting

it would be nice to have an fac so you know 100% that you will get a clean kill

I voted yes, only because I have had air rifles all my life for plinking and hunting

but I would like to see the 12lb limit lifted

I was watching a youtube clip and had to agree with an American that we brits because of the12lb limit have to get closer and more accurate with or shooting

it would be nice to have an fac so you know 100% that you will get a clean kill

Am I missing something here, if you want more power apply for fac.

Personally, although I have one on fac I would prefer them unlicensed, I keep a sub 12 stood in a corner ready for the maggies harassing songbirds, if they all become fac it will have to be locked away.

From my point of view licensing them will be inconvenient.

You are definitely stupid.

1. I have not missed the news in Scotland.

2. This will not happen in England.

Strikes me you are a young boy whipping up rubbish. The status quo is where this has to be parked and left. So keep quiet.

Whoa there tiger, it is a simple and valid question posed - and a hypothetical one at that, so have a lie down and put a wet sponge on your head. I'm pretty sure cjp hasn't the power to impose a licence anyway and a forum poll (currently with less than 50 votes) will not have any clout with those that do. There have been plenty of PW votes putting ukip in power (that didn't work), polls to bring back hanging (nope, nothing yet) and various other hypothetical notions that haven't, as yet, changed the world.

I'm starting a new poll to see if we should all get a free Ferrari and supermodel. Fingers crossed...

Ha ******* ha.

Half you airgunners want sub 12 ft lb rifles licensed don't you? Easy isn't it because you have FAC anyway.

The key thing is as you've stated above......"even though I cannot see a license making any difference".

ahhhhh,,,, I,ve got it now,,whitebridges,,,,,

I take it only your opinion counts,,,judging by your two replies which I thought were a bit heated to say the least as did probably everyone else, I personally thought it was a very sensible post by chris for a lot of the airgunners on this forum to have a chat about this topic of air rifles being licenced,

will it happen in England ??? my opinion is it might in the future but when only time will tell, I really cant see why your losing your rag over such a topic,i also cant see the reason why such a topic would make you want to lose your cool,,

me personally would not give a dam if I needed a licence to keep hold of my air rifles,,,why,,, well that's because I use mine on average 4/5 days a week and if it meant I had to buy a licence to keep on using them then so be it,,

would I agree to air rifles being licenced,,no I certainly would not,,it would solely be put in place as a money making racket and it would only affect the law abiding airgunners, the other idiots would still use them without a licence until caught ,

don't lose you rag, just join in with the debate,, swearing and ranting and raving and being insulting because someone has posted a poll does make you look a little silly,,

why don't you tell us all just what your opinion on the matter is ???, considering your from Norfolk I wouldn,t have thought something like this would get you so worked up,,

all the best sir

Evo

Whoa there tiger, it is a simple and valid question posed - and a hypothetical one at that, so have a lie down and put a wet sponge on your head. I'm pretty sure cjp hasn't the power to impose a licence anyway and a forum poll (currently with less than 50 votes) will not have any clout with those that do. There have been plenty of PW votes putting ukip in power (that didn't work), polls to bring back hanging (nope, nothing yet) and various other hypothetical notions that haven't, as yet, changed the world.

I'm starting a new poll to see if we should all get a free Ferrari and supermodel. Fingers crossed...

All right then Iv'e voted yes, , do we get a choice of super model and do we need a licence to drive a Ferrari ? if so I dont mind stumping up for the ferrari if it needs to be added to my existing licence ;)

I would imagine if they lifted the 12ft/lbs limit with the licence, that would be the end of plinking in the garden.

If you work on the same basis as they are in Scotland then garden plinking is finished anyway north of the border, licensed or otherwise. Target shooting in the garden will not be considered good reason in order to be granted a license.

Licencing in England/Wales if it ever occurs might be a little better thought out (or at least I'd hope so) than north of the border where it's a typical knee jerk reaction by an anti-gun ownership SNP. I would hope that if it happened, it would not preclude plinking in back gardens and would look to separate sub 12ft lbs air rifles from those with greater power for the purposes of legislation and use.

If they brought in clauses requiring them to be S1 and the applicant requiring "good reason" to own one, then that would be the end of plinking with rifles which has been the mainstay of teaching youngsters to shoot in safe and controlled environments by parents taking the lead for example. Of course, some shooting organisations and ranges would prefer this as the nanny state is all about control, and about cashing in on lucrative opportunities wherever they present. If legislation does change in the UK, I'd just get rid of the air rifle. There's no way I'd pay any extra to have one on my FAC nor pay for a variation to have one on there when all I use one for is clearing pigeons from around farm buildings where it's not appropriate to use a rim fire. Just more unnecessary red tape and ever more restrictive control to something that is currently a right of ownership. Next they'll be banning (or licencing) bows and arrows!

For those considering it a good thing to "end" the risks of people being shot, I would respectfully suggest that is a very naive viewpoint as it will make no difference to the twots who currently use air weapons for shooting at people for fun (and who watch Trainspotting far too often!). They will just continue to keep and use air weapons illegally. There are laws preventing driving without a licence and burglary but that doesn't stop it happening on a daily basis everywhere around the UK.

Guest rimotu66

As usual this thread has turned into a bitch fight amongst some.

The question was 'If licensing for Air rifles was necessary would you bother or simply hand it in?'

My answer was yes of course I would get a licence if the only other option was to hand it in. Hopefully it will not go that far.

Maybe cross bows and bows next? how about bb guns, catapults or boomerang's :hmm:

As usual this thread has turned into a bitch fight amongst some.

The question was 'If licensing for Air rifles was necessary would you bother or simply hand it in?'

My answer was yes of course I would get a licence if the only other option was to hand it in. Hopefully it will not go that far.

Maybe cross bows and bows next? how about bb guns, catapults or boomerang's :hmm:

Probably already on the agenda !

Today I met the aftermath of an Airgun incident when a guys neighbor tried to kill a seagull. See man shot in head something needs to be done to curb the wrong people messing with the guns of today

As much as it effects shooter recruitment as we must then put extra effort and resources into this

Today I met the aftermath of an Airgun incident when a guys neighbor tried to kill a seagull. See man shot in head something needs to be done to curb the wrong people messing with the guns of today

As much as it effects shooter recruitment as we must then put extra effort and resources into this

What do you propose that 'something' should comprise of?

Extra effort and resources into what?

It's a hard one but in this case competency and need would have covered it

In fact he was acting illegally coz you can't just shoot gulls and the pellet left his land

The fact is numb sculls should be prevented having one from the off

I feel some form of licence is becoming inevitable. It's better we lead than follow on this

Obviously I haven't felt like that all my life

In fact he was acting illegally coz you can't just shoot gulls and the pellet left his land

I feel some form of licence is becoming inevitable. It's better we lead than follow on this

And who is going to judge who meets the numb scull criteria and who does not ??

You have applied a rather simplistic and somewhat naive approach to what is in reality a very complex issue.

Your first line suggests a competency test for air gunners where none even exists for firearms, but you don't suggest how a competency test would have prevented what happened from happening, as until he shot his neighbour I'm assuming no one knew he had the gun. Neither do you suggest who decides who is a numbskull, nor the criteria by which numbskulls are judged.

Why is it 'better we lead than follow', how do we do that, and while we're at it, who is 'we'?

It's all well and good coming up with sound bites and profound statements, but the realistic application is somewhat different. Governments struggle to come up with solutions and inevitably come up with the simple but ineffective policies we now have,which is to penalise the law-abiding in a desperate attempt to be seen to have 'done something'.

You have applied a rather simplistic and somewhat naive approach to what is in reality a very complex issue.

Your first line suggests a competency test for air gunners where none even exists for firearms, but you don't suggest how a competency test would have prevented what happened from happening, as until he shot his neighbour I'm assuming no one knew he had the gun. Neither do you suggest who decides who is a numbskull, nor the criteria by which numbskulls are judged.

Why is it 'better we lead than follow', how do we do that, and while we're at it, who is 'we'?

It's all well and good coming up with sound bites and profound statements, but the realistic application is somewhat different. Governments struggle to come up with solutions and inevitably come up with the simple but ineffective policies we now have,which is to penalise the law-abiding in a desperate attempt to be seen to have 'done something'.

Well said. Complex problem and a misguided and politically motivated answer will not change a thing.

And who is going to judge who meets the numb scull criteria and who does not ??

Well how about our own shooting organisations as we already have the Airgun education program and coaches

In a while it will be a feo

Which do you think the better choice?

Tell you what the government will favour the no cost option