X trail DPF

wymberley

Having paid attention to and acted upon the good advice given on PW, I thought I'd cracked the problem of the warning light coming on. However, this morning - when as is typical and you really need the car - it came on again after several months. After doing the usual it would not go out and the engine warning lit up. The car is now booked in for what Nissan call a 'Service Regeneration'.

Question is: Does this service regeneration and the higher temperature involved improve the condition of the filter above and beyond that which the driver achieves when taking the approved action to successfully extinguish the light should it come on? I'm hoping that the answer is, 'yes', as I can tolerate a low frequency requirement (and the £230 for the privilege) as I've had the car some 3 years and this is the first time driver action has failed to work. Apart from burning rubber and fuel up the M5 or joining the boy racers up and down the sea front on occasion, the nature of the vast majority of my driving is in built up areas. Wish now I hadn't sold the 2.5 petrol version that I had.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any info.

DPF "diesel partical filter " was an ill thought out, rushed in unit fitted to newer cars to try and comply with lasted immisions legislation.

These filters are designed to trap small microscopic particals. As the filter fills up the engine's ecu starts a pre programmed burn cycle to burn off these particals.

This is achieved by adding extra fuel into the filter to burn off the particals. Once this burn cycle has been started the engine revs need to stay above 2000 rpm for the duration. If for any reason the revs drop below 2000 rpm then the whole process begins again.

Depending on how many stop start and short journeys are carried out will determine the regeneration cycle the car will start.

Problems arise by the regeneration cycle not being completed during normal driving and the filter getting clogged to the point that the car can no longer clear the filter. When this happens the ecu will flag up a fault code on the ecu ang usually a picture of an engine with a spanner through it in your instrument pannel.

Dealers usually remove the dpf and clean it with a cleaner which will desolve and unclog the inner parts of the filter, refit and remove fault codes. I have heard of cases where they have tried to fit a new unit at much greater cost but thats another story

Be warned !!! If you continue to do only short journeys the same problem will be back to haunt you quicker than you think. Happy motoring

Edited by superspark

Nearly... Soot builds up, a burn cycle turns the soot into ash, the ash takes up much less space but still cannot pass through the filter, after so much ash has built up the soot / burn cycle becomes a more regular thing until the unit is unable to properly cope

Take it off, I have successfully cleaned them out using a pressure washer

The service regeneration involves a techy connecting the car up to their computer system and forcing the engine into a condition conducive to regeneration......ie plenty of revs over a set period of time to get the filter hot enough to burn off the particles, nothing scientific about it. You need a few more fast trips to Portishead.

Apparently Wynns DPF cleaner is good stuff, worked for a friend of mine who's light came on. Put the stuff in and went for a spirited drive, light has never come back on since despite not changing his driving.

I've not had a problem with the Focus one yet..........reaches for the largest piece of wood close by!

Edited by Livefast123

The service regeneration involves a techy connecting the car up to their computer system and forcing the engine into a condition conducive to regeneration......ie plenty of revs over a set period of time to get the filter hot enough to burn off the particles, nothing scientific about it. You need a few more fast trips to Portishead.

Apparently Wynns DPF cleaner is good stuff, worked for a friend of mine who's light came on. Put the stuff in and went for a spirited drive, light has never come back on since despite not changing his driving.

I've not had a problem with the Focus one yet..........reaches for the largest piece of wood close by!

Yep, needs an oil and filter change afterwards as they're 'cooked'.

Portishead is no more - they've moved back to Exmouth - going to need baby-sitters.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

I regularly see a firm advertise on fb to remove dpf and reprogrammed the ecu. They cut a panel out the exhaust from above and remove it. Once done they weld the panel back in place and refit the exhaust. Without removing the exhaust you cannot see the panel.

They claim more power and better mpg are achieved.