Gebrüder Merkel S/S sidelock - would you happen to know which model it

trymd

Dear fellow huntsmen,

I'm starting to build a collection of older shotguns and my most recent addition is a beautiful Gebr. Merkel S/S sidelock. There's a small chip in the stock, but otherwise it's in good condition. Previous owner bought it used in the middle of the 80s. He didn't know which model it was or when the shotgun was produced. Once again I look to you for your expertise. Also, any ideas on how much it would be worth? Not that I'm thinking of selling it, but I hope I didn't buy the cat in the sack (as we say i Norway). Please see attached photos. Best regards from Norway.

IMG_3553_zpshl6vhu1n.jpg

IMG_3577_zpsjdn5leyh.jpg

IMG_3580_zpsosh8ga7b.jpg

IMG_3576_zpsjklxw4xi.jpg

IMG_3564_zpst8eqkcj5.jpg

IMG_3556_zps9mqp5mce.jpg

IMG_3549_zpskt07fcow.jpg

Hi. Trymd

That's pretty. Very Germanic engraving. You wont be able to shoot very well with that because it is far too cold for a gun like that in Noway. I think that it would like to come over here to the warmth of my gun room :) .

I just had a look on Guntrader and there are only two for sale. Both of them are boxlocks and this is the most expensive so yours must be worth a lot more but it all depends on where and who wants it.http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Merkel_Shotgun_Pigeon_For-Sale_150828125915001

Edited by fortune

@fortune: I'll send it after hunting season, if there's anything left of it besides rust:) Thanks for the info about Guntrader. I'll keep one eye out for new listings.

@TDS: I'll try my luck in that forum then. Much appreciated.

@ditchman: Haha, true that. I'm still holding my breath on this one.

Guest cookoff013

Merkel have been doing more and more anglicised shotguns.

They released a British style 12 for UK market.

Merkel's are old school solid. Choked tighter than any other. Often overbore.

I got 147E

Hi, Trymd,

I saw a Merkel model 447 that looks very similar if not the same as your Merkel, have a look at the link below to Cabelas website where they have some excellent pictures of a 447.

All the best

Tim

http://www.cabelas.com/product/gun-library/merkel%7C/pc/103792680/c/103585680/merkel-447-side-lock-sxs-12-gauge-beautiful-gun-/2171788.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmerkel%2F_%2FN-1103073%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103585680

• 2 weeks later...

That's lovely, I'd spend a bit making it perfect, refinished the stock and have the actioned cleaned up.

Can I ask how much you paid?

It cost me 2000 €, I reckon it's a pretty decent deal. I've been in contact with a gunsmith about giving it a thorough cleaning. When it comes to the stock, can you use any filler of a kind for chips? The chip is at the back end of the stock. ALso, I sent an email to Merkel and they confirmed that it was in fact a 447sl :)

Just had a look in latest Gun Digest book of gun values, nearest model listed 447s and the values are $8500 perfect, $4400 excellent and very good $3200. At a rate of 1 euro to 1.12$ I would be happy with the deal. Btw the book mentions the model is still in production, the picture looks very much like yours. Very envious! Well done and enjoy