Decoying over wheat stubble?

yidoharry

Hi, the last two outings over wheat stubble I'm finding it very difficult to get the woodies to commit. Not sure if it's just coincidence or if I'm doing something wrong! There was plenty of birds around today and I sat very close to a flightline in the hope I'd be able to get them in close enough for a sensible shot but the vast majority either flew just outside the range to get a shot off or veered away around 60-70 yards away! I started with a flapper and 22 decoys, six of which were dead birds. Any ideas or suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong or decoy patterns which I would be better off trying would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

If they are not interested in your pattern you need to change it.

If you were close to a flight line and loads of birds around, I personally would have started with just the six dead birds in a random pattern. I like to get mine off the ground so they are clearly visible and so use cradles, but if you haven't got any cradles then just prop the heads up on the stubble stalks.

Again if that didn't work I would change it.

• 2 months later...