Making sausages

ollie

I recently got employee of the month at work & got a £250 amazon voucher. I was thinking about buying a sausage maker to make some sausages out of the game I shoot.

My questions are, how difficult are they to make? Is it worth the effort? Does anyone know a decent sausage maker that is user friendly?

I already have a mincer to mince the meat, but it doesn't have a sausage stuffer.

Enjoyable pastime, very therapeutic, loads of "Stuffers" on the bay, manual & electric, new & used, I am in the process of modifying my electric machine by adding the foot pedal from an old elec. sewing machine, otherwise you have to be a bit of a juggler, pressing product into hopper, feeding skin full & coiling sausage, also loads of info & recipes via google, Get in & enjoy!

Enjoyable pastime, very therapeutic, loads of "Stuffers" on the bay, manual & electric, new & used, I am in the process of modifying my electric machine by adding the foot pedal from an old elec. sewing machine, otherwise you have to be a bit of a juggler, pressing product into hopper, feeding skin full & coiling sausage, also loads of info & recipes via google, Get in & enjoy!

that bit is easy it's tying the darn things I struggle with

Get one with decent gears, metal as against nylon or plastic, and 2 gears. 7ltr I found better than the smaller ones.

What about one like this:

Sanven COMMERCIAL 5 LITER ALL STAINLESS STEEL SAUSAGE FILLER MINCE MEAT STUFFING MAKER https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J2J4UMY/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_EIk8vbDRRE1MA

At this time of year I always have surplus pigeon breasts, so does pigeon meat lend itself to sausages?

I think most game meat is too lean, you need to add pork fat to it.

Try mixing your meats, pigeon, rabbit, pheasant together with some decent fatty belly pork, and experiment using fruit such as apricot, redcurrant or cranberries. It's all about trial and error., your not going to kill yourself trying something different, . I tried all sorts and they were very popular down the local.

Sorry yes stuffer.is similar to mine, it needs clamping though to a work top.

Bushcraft are expensive, google sauasage mix, s

smith's butchers suppliers and similar loads cheaper.

Edited by Dougy

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll be getting one soon.

Is it difficult linking the sausages or are you better just twisting them?

We started at home with a "starter" pack (3 flavourings, rusk and various casings) from these people. I also got one of these (amazon?) to make tasting the fried mix easier. A year down the line I threw away the skins and we eat lots and lots of that glorious Jockanese invention of lorne and no-one is complaining.