calibre

medion

wot is the diffrence between .22r/f and 7.62mm and wot is an open ticket thanks everyone :)

About 2000 feet per second, about 2500 ft lbs muzzle energy and about 80-200 grains in bullet weight.

r/f means rimfire. The primer is a chemical that is around the inside of the rim of the brass case and sets fire to the powder charge when the outside of the rim is struck.

7.62 mm is a centrefire round where the primer is contained in a replaceable cap in the centre of the rear of the brass case.

Centrefire rifle cartridges are easily reloadable.

A .308 is the basically the same calibre as a 7.62 mm. The same as the old Browning FN military rifle used to be. There are about a dozen of more rounds that use the same .30 inch bullet, up to the .300 Winchester Magnum and beyond.

Having an open certificate means that you have had a Firearm Certificate long enough for the local police to trust 'you' to decide where it is safe to use your weapons, without having to have each and every place listed on you F.A.C. and checked out by them first.

If you can get one piece of land listed on your certificate, they will, probably when you renew it, add that you may use it also on land where a weapon of similar calibre is already being used.

rjimmer

I have found your explanation of an open certificate very usefull, as I had received differing answers. I live on Merseyside, but my FAC has named land in Aberdeenshire, hence the Sako doesnt get too many outings.

I have written permission for quite a bit of land dotted around merseyside and cheshire, but I know that non of it has ever been passed by the police for FAC.

I do therefore have a quandry with regard to your answer ie. if the shooter has an open FAC, does the land still need police approval if no other shooter is using FAC rated weapons and the land has not been passed by the police.

Your opinion and guidance will be appreciated as my FAC is up for renewal this year.

Regards

Webber

I do therefore have a quandry with regard to your answer ie.  if the shooter has an open FAC, does the land still need police approval if no other shooter is using FAC rated weapons and the land has not been passed by the police.

I haven't got my F.A.C. handy to quote the exact wording, but I will have a look and PM you.

I used to be able to use my .22 at sea, depending on the height of the cliffs, but that all ended when they stopped issueing Shagg permits and put them on the protected list.

An open certificate has the effect of making the certificate holder into his/her own safety officer in a way.

There is no such thing as a dangerous or safe piece of land(or a gun), only safe or dangerous gun handlers.

We have the Winfrith Heath Atomic Energy Estblishment close to here. All the animals that enter the compound(several square miles at a guess) have to be killed and their remains, I guess, incinerated. I think they have to use high seats, but you can imagine the sort of things that are close by. Safe land? Safe Weapons?

Basically, once you have proved yourself responsible as a firearm user, there is no reason why you should not get an open certificate. They might throw up all sorts of suggestions like you needing a stalking certificate but the mention of BASC membership and their legal team, will probably get over that.

Different police forces try to act according to their whims, though. Merseyside might be a sensative area because of the sort of people that might live locally.

My first 'named' piece of land, was a Home Office Prison farm!!!!!!!

rjimmer

Thanks for the advise so far. I didnt realise that Winfrith was so bloody "hot". I worked there a couple of times removing high pressure gas cylinders, they came with a certificate pronouncing that the radioactivity was within safe limits.

The guard dogs there are like donkeys and the police are armed. You wouldnt get me shooting rabbits from a high seat inside there. Armoured car, possibly!

webber

BillM,

This is an extract from my Firearms Cert which was issued by West Yorks. I can only presume it should be standard wording, as it is based on Home Office recommendations.

" The rifles ( details, serial numbers etc ) and ammumition to which this certificate relates shall only be used for the destruction of ( whatever you can legally shoot with your rifles ) on ( usually one piece of land named ) and on other land over which the holder has permission to shoot with that class of firearm from the person by whom shooting rights are owned or from whom they may be leased or otherwise obtained "

This is an open certificate. If I remember rightly, the closed type of certificate will have another clause which states can only be used on land which has been previously inspected by the Chief Officer of Police for that area.

If you're in any way unsure ,first of all if you are in BASC or whatever, ask them and failing all else ask your local Firearms Dept......it has to be better than loosing your Firearms cert.

Hope this helps.

This is what it says on mine t,s.

The .22 rifle, and the .22 air rifle, and the .22sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and ground game using the appropriate calibre, and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

To me thats not a open certificate, but it dose not name any of the land I used to get it with

Will defanetly check with BASC to make sure every thing is ok.

BillM,

Different courses for different Police Forces ,as bloody usual

It looks to me that you have a closed certificate.

As you say, best check with BASC ,but I think you'll find its a closed cert mate.

If so everywhere you use the rifle will have to be on inspected land. How long have you had the cert ??

As I say different forces have their own interpretations. I'm fairly sure South Yorks used to give you an open cert ,on first application, if you provided more than three pieces of land :< :):D