Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

might go quiet tomorrow.............im trying to blag a 40mm socket to get the damper bolt off so i can remove the timing case and clean the engine and check it is ok to bore out..........i have checked the walls inbetween the pots where they are the thinnest and they are fine............the head i have checked and is a bit iffy......i think i can get a good second hand one as there are plenty about as they are the same as the 2.5n/a.............then i will refurb it and put on all the new bits i have for it..........

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DISASTER !!..........cleaned and inspected head...el crackto...mucho !...and pistono on no 2 poto !!!....never fear a quick call to my mate and he has a very good head in the workshop that was never needed by a customer.....no cracks nice and clean not warped no pitting and pressure tested a year ago...........£40 quid.............back on track................

piston stuffed on number 2 pot...it has been cooked !................

post-11401-0-67260000-1442231337_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-97800200-1442231364_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-41668300-1442231524_thumb.jpg

Had a few more mins to spend so i thought i would "wizz up" the thero'housing and check the thermostat as it will be ready to put on the rebuilt head when i pick it up this week...........if you are getting board tell me !...........checked the thermo in the sauce pan..(she wernt impressed)...opens up nice and quick just over a 100deg.....i like these type of thermo's as they have a jiggle pin...not a bleedin' ole drilled in them ..........

post-11401-0-54650400-1442237668_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-80572000-1442237688_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-82149200-1442237710_thumb.jpg

Don't think that I am being the slightest bit sycophantic but I am enjoying your thread greatly even though I know nothing of engines.

how kind of you to say that..........i hope you had a nice birthday in our fair county.....(incerdently there is a new programn about to start shortly on PICK TV i think called "Inbreds"...a must to see if you continue to visit us".............

......"tomorrow i will start on re-calibrating the injectors"....will be lots of before and after pics and explosive flames and pirotectnics...............

Don't think that I am being the slightest bit sycophantic but I am enjoying your thread greatly even though I know nothing of engines.

This is one engine you're better off knowing nothing about, strictly an enthusiasts engine ........................... or possibly a mechanical masochists engine :lol:

I do however applaud ditchmans perseverance and optimism :good:

This is one engine you're better off knowing nothing about, strictly an enthusiasts engine ........................... or possibly a mechanical masochists engine :lol:

I do however applaud ditchmans perseverance and optimism :good:

it is part of history.............the one i have in the landrover hasnt missed a beat in 68,000 miles since i messed about with it....im doing this one even better.....true it does have its limitations....but my vehicles are not prissy showroom models they do get used everyday of the year...........so you are right ..i have a screw loose .. :oops:

it is part of history.............the one i have in the landrover hasnt missed a beat in 68,000 miles since i messed about with it....im doing this one even better.....true it does have its limitations....but my vehicles are not prissy showroom models they do get used everyday of the year...........so you are right ..i have a screw loose .. :oops:

Better than a screw loose in the Landy. Hope you have some good spaners to tighten your nuts up. ;)

As I said, in all seriousness I do applaud you for trying. It's not an engine I would bother with, I'd just scrap it, but in your endeavour to keep all original you're going all out :good:

As I said, in all seriousness I do applaud you for trying. It's not an engine I would bother with, I'd just scrap it, but in your endeavour to keep all original you're going all out :good:

just out of interest i wonder how many turbo-deseils are left on the road...how many years did they make them for 3 was it ?.............i rekon 98% have been converted to 200 and 300 tdi's...what do you rekon ?

Cleaned all the injectors before taking apart...years of gunk to remove but they came up well........washed them in clean deseil and cleaned the nozzles...........the upshot was that the nozzles in the picture were all passed their best ..2 were bad pattern and 2 were weeping (like a poor prostate gland)...so i cleaned the bodies threw the nozzles away and got one of my spare injectors cleaned it and pressurised it to 2000lbs/sq/"...pressure held steady then increased it a few lbs to allow it to "break out"...spray pattern not the best but good enuff to demonstrate...i then introduced heat to simulate the compression ...to show the energy that is contained within a few drops of desiel...technically speaking the explosion shots dont happen in the cylinder......the only way i can draw a parrellel is that a petrol engine is like firing off nitro cartridges...there you have a catostrophic explosion with flame high temp and the desiel is like a blackpowder burn progressive expansion followed by low temp flame and soot..........so as i said the flame is just to show the energy locked up in a few drops of desiel at 2000lbs/sq/" and under compression 10deg before TDC.........................i will take questions...as long as they are not tooo complicated

post-11401-0-94981900-1442314878_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-18938300-1442314895_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-70735400-1442314924_thumb.jpg