Ditchman has lost it ..completly !

ditchman

"did you like that " ?................i nearly blew the shed window out !! :lol:

got the missus to pull the handle...she did it twice and then gave me a funny look and said "F### that" and scuttled out of the shed .........

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dirty boy :lol: .......................as you say all the injectors now are "sealed for life".......................and bloody expensive to replace..........i can get the nozzles @ £5.00 each.....i put them in every 30-40,000 miles...the ones i have binned must have done over 100,000 miles..............lets face it the old turbo-desiel 2.5 is like a steam engine compared to enjines now............christ if they had invented intercoolers for the turbo-deseil the block would have melted !!!

Got myself a replacement head..as the other one was stuffed (see previous pics).....this one is a "peach"...history...army landrover ..last of the TD's....1988-89....original head blown 1994...sat outside workshop....until they had a clearout in 1996...to which they fitted a new head....vehicle run for 2000 miles ...engine removed and 200tdi put in it....engine sat in stores where i bought the head today.....checked it over minutely it is a real gooden...............ok for £40.00............

you can see the difference with the previous post pics

all ive got to do now is to strip it down..and put all the new bits on......jobs a gooden...............

post-11401-0-07450800-1442505892_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-88199900-1442505912_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-73199700-1442505941_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-77274200-1442505958_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-02843700-1442506104_thumb.jpg

I've been dropping in on this thread now and then and admire your skill and knowledge, plus the time and obvious enthusiasm and patience to apply them. I have a 200TDi and I don't mind the odd tinker, but beyond that I wouldn't have a clue. I know a couple of lads who will dismantle a Landrover gearbox and put it back together just for something to do.

I look forward to seeing the end result.

Edited by Scully

cheers for that !.....i enjoy doing this one as my other one is still good......i gave it a re-vamp 68,000 miles ago as the previous so called expert made a real dogs breakfast of it and when it started getting sick i had to rescue it..........when i worked on it most of the rings had shattered and worn upshot they were el cheapo stuff and scratched the bores badly....so when this secondhand unit came along i thought i would have it in the shed and do it during the winter with the gas fire on and a couple of beers and the odd mate dropping around.........

...thought i would post it ...not so much for Landrover people but for lads stuck at desks all day...thinking about the time when they can afford their own home and a garage and a few tools so they to can tinker away............using this model engine is definatly not rocket science and if it gives some guys and girls the confidence to have a mess about with their own stuff....then job done .. :good:

You may like 'A 4x4 is born' on youtube. Not sure if it shows all episodes, but if not drop me your address via PM and I'll send you the DVD.

That was on "Quest" a while ago.............its the vet chappy who does it..........not bad watch tho...........

not happy with the block...........noticed a crack in it when i took the head off....but it has closed up now the head is off and the tension has gone out of it..............also inbetween the pots it has blued which indicates it has overheated.............never fear i have another block which is a gooden which i will pick up from my mate for a paultry sum in the next week or so..................

post-11401-0-35593000-1442580999_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-99129200-1442581022_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-20979600-1442581042_thumb.jpg

just fiddling about....thought i would give you a "taster" of what the unit will look like at the end of the job............the head is going away shortly to have the valve guides pressed out and i still have to pick the block up and send it away for boring.....

post-11401-0-47773300-1442586533_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-98110600-1442586550_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-33045400-1442586566_thumb.jpg

ditchman, you are a jammy dodger picking that head up for forty quid. I would thought a man of your calibre would be pressing his own valve inserts in lol. Keep up the good work bud :good:

i havnt got a press and i cant be bothered to make one .....easy enuff to do and i can get a 10ton bottle jack from toolmarte for peanuts...........the company that will press em out and push my new ones in will also cut the seats for us ........cheaper than buying a good set of cutters...they are sooooo expensive................

( paying £40.00 for the block as well ...dont tell anyone !! )

Have them crack test the block before you spend money reboring it :good: They were prone to cracking between cylinders, as yours has. They just hadn't got the thermal dynamics right on this engine, it self destructed. It sort of started up and killed itself.. :lol:

Don't know off hand how long it was in production, relatively a very, very short period. The warranty work alone must have crippled LR.

Still admire you for trying though :good:

Thank you for the offer, but I have seen most of it via YouTube and my landrover club. :)

you should have been with me yesterday..................in the workshop they had a TOTALLY REBUILT L/Rover Wolf....90 ragtop new chassis new poncy leather seats nato potatoe colour...new ragtop rebuilt enjine.....no stupid extras.....very nice ...they were just waiting for a customer to pick it up ........

Have them crack test the block before you spend money reboring it :good: They were prone to cracking between cylinders, as yours has. They just hadn't got the thermal dynamics right on this engine, it self destructed. It sort of started up and killed itself.. :lol:

Don't know off hand how long it was in production, relatively a very, very short period. The warranty work alone must have crippled LR.

Still admire you for trying though :good:

its from a 2.5 N/a............so it wont be a problem...hasnt had the heat thro it..............did a 100 mile round trip in my turbo-deseil yesterday kept it to 50mph...purrs like a sewing machine...always has done since i re-built it and treated it like a 2.5 n/a with a bloody great turbo on it when i want it for short periods......the engine always burns clean and the guys who do the mot are always amazed at the emissions tests when it breezes thro'

Edited by ditchman

Probably starting up then just wailing it down the road does most harm to them, block hasn't had time to warm through. :hmm:

We rebuilt a few Land Rovers when I had the bigger unit, we had a chassis change down to 3 days :good: That was remove it and refit it after galving, not counting time to prep for galv.

Think it would knacker me now working like that :lol: Last motor I built was the Suzi trialler, that was a GOOD motor, very effective.