Taking kids shooting

owain

Hi all, my son turns 5 in October and I'm thinking about taking him out rough shooting with me. He's used to seeing various game hanging in the utility room and shows a keen interest in how it got there and when are we going to eat it for out tea. He's been out with me and my mate while we check scopes on rifles and things so he's also used to being around guns and that side of things. The only problem being that my missus thinks he's to young to start doing the whole field sports thing, so what I would like to know is if you started your kids off shooting what kind of age were they? Or if your dad or relative took you along with them at what age did you start going out? Cheers owain.

If the lad is keen then why not? i was out with my old man at 5 when my dad was a gamekeeper.

Gun safety can be learnt at a young age, not to mention other aspects of the sport, and good knowledge can be aquired by him in a short space of time.

Just don't forget his small legs will tire sooner than yours when walking up game, and protect his ears if shooting in a hide.

Edited by aga man

I have 3 sons, the eldest was out with us lamping from the age of 3 and started beating from the age of 5 (walked all day!). The second isn't really interested and the youngest aged 3 has been duck shooting with me twice this season. So as you can see, 2 of my sons inherited the shooting gene from me but completely skipped one of them! Personally I don't think age comes into it, more how keen they are and their maturity.

My lad has been shooting with me since he was five. He has his go on his steel bb pistol on the airgun range, then his cut down air rifle, then he presses the button for me on the clays. He's shot .410 at static clays and a muzzle loader a few times. Prefers his bb pistol because its easy. And he's a bloody good shot with it too.

Not taken him on a live quarry shoot simply because he talks incessantly and id have no chance.

Its right up there as my proudest moments when he's with me shooting. No better feeling for a gun loving dad.

I don't think age comes into it. It all depends on whether he is interested in coming with you or whether you just want him there. I've had four daughters come out shooting with me from about seven or eight and sometimes they have enjoyed it and still like to come and shoot clays and sometimes they hated it especially when it was wet and cold. When this was the case and they didn't seem that keen then I would leave them at home. I made a rule that I would only take one along with me because if I took two of them they would start messing around and it spoilt my enjoyment of the day. And I would never take one of them on a driven day beating below the age of about eleven because it was just too difficult to keep up and in line when going through heavy cover. I have seen some blokes dragging kids around on shoots grizzling in the cold and wet and in the end it turns the kid completely away from the sport and their dad. Only you know your situation.

I don't think age comes into it. It all depends on whether he is interested in coming with you or whether you just want him there. I've had four daughters come out shooting with me from about seven or eight and sometimes they have enjoyed it and still like to come and shoot clays and sometimes they hated it especially when it was wet and cold. When this was the case and they didn't seem that keen then I would leave them at home. I made a rule that I would only take one along with me because if I took two of them they would start messing around and it spoilt my enjoyment of the day. And I would never take one of them on a driven day beating below the age of about eleven because it was just too difficult to keep up and in line when going through heavy cover. I have seen some blokes dragging kids around on shoots grizzling in the cold and wet and in the end it turns the kid completely away from the sport and their dad. Only you know your situation.

Good post.

I have taken loads of kids shooting with me over the years, including my own. When they're very young they are keen just to be out with Dad no matter what he's doing, but whether that interest endures is another matter.

My daughter and son would come ferreting, beating and to Young Shots days, but lost interest when knocking about with friends became their priority, and fair enough too; I never forced them anyhow, it was always their decision.

Neither has any interest in shooting nowadays which is a shame as my daughter is a very good shot with an air rifle, and I recently sold my sons shotgun. But you never know, they may come back to it one day, hopefully.

The most annoying experience was once when I received a call from the landowner of a local shoot who asked me not to bring too many kids beating with me. When I asked why he told me they made too much noise walking into the drives to line up. When I pointed out to him that the only two kids who talked incessantly and loudly were the sons of two of the guns (which he knew about as he had cause on many an occasion to repeatedly tell them to be quiet) he wasn't too chuffed. From then on I didn't take any kids with me as I didn't feel it was fair telling some they could come but not others, and when none of the guns turned up on beaters day to beat for the kids I stopped going altogether, but that's for another topic.

I'm hoping my kids will one day want to come shooting with me again.

Brought my boy a Baikal 410 and took him out with me when he was 9 yrs old,he was a bit apprehensive at first, having never fired a gun before,but after explaining the safety issue's he loved it.Went on to 20G when he was 11 then a 12G when he was 15..Discoverd girls at 16 and dosen't shoot at all now :unhappy:.

My younger son has taken his place,Started him off with the 410,he now has a 20g semi auto and loves it.Shooting comes first and girls come second and he is 17.

atb Den

I started out shooting with my old man when I was about 6 or 7 I think. Age though is less important than whether the kids are interested, whether the terrain and weather are suitable and who else might be there. It's also important not to underestimate the importance of properly kitting out youngsters with proper fitting hearing protection, proper walking boots and suitable jackets/trousers. One walk in the drizzle over boggy ground in trainers and a sweatshirt is likely to put a youngster off for life! I would never take my son or daughter out on any driven shoot or where there were other guns, especially ones I didn't know. I'd spend the whole time keeping a close eye on them and the other shooters and probably wouldn't do any shooting. I would never take them beating under any circumstances....I have a healthy complete lack of trust for anyone I don't know wielding a gun so sure as hell wouldn't expose my kids to that scenario and put them in front of the guns. On my own, no problem. I think it's good for my kids to see just where that pigeon, duck, rabbit or pheasant comes from and to teach them respect for the quarry and their environment. It's also easier if one on one to drum in gun safety from a very young age. Would never bring more than one of them at a time, even if only checking zero on a rifle. You have to evaluate the risks for yourself and simply pick a day and a shooting experience that would have a constructive and positive effect on your youngsters. You'll soon know whether they have an interest or not!

I would never take my son or daughter out on any driven shoot or where there were other guns, especially ones I didn't know. I'd spend the whole time keeping a close eye on them and the other shooters and probably wouldn't do any shooting. I would never take them beating under any circumstances....I have a healthy complete lack of trust for anyone I don't know wielding a gun so sure as hell wouldn't expose my kids to that scenario and put them in front of the guns.

Each to their own of course but I think risk aversion to that extent is a bit over the top personally. Kids would never get introduced to shooting if everyone was of a similar disposition.

Statistically shooting has a tremendously safe reputation; and I would even go so far as to suggest ( and certainly statistically ) the greater risk to kids would be the period during the drive to and from the shoot.

I was debating on whether to start taking my 5 year old grandson feretting with me this year, I'm sure he would love it. Strange as it is and I shouldn't really be that bothered by it but what's holding me back slightly is that I am a little worried on what his school friends and teachers may think the moment he goes into school and the topic gets raised maybe in class of what he has been out doing with grandad. We all know the score but other more ignorant types etc might give him some grief, maybe I'm just over reacting.?

My daughter and son and both nephews have all been ferreting with me at one time or another. All that happened when they told their mates was that I ended up with more kids to take! This is a very rural area where many people participate in fieldsports of one type or another, or aren't averse usually to those who do, but unless you give it a go you'll never know.

You shouldn't be made to feel that what you are doing is in some way wrong, although I can understand the reticence if you think it may have a detrimental effect on your Grandson through ignorance, bias or pure stupidity. But in my opinion you still should do it. We are doing nothing wrong at all. Don't let your Grandson miss out because of the ignorance of others. Good luck.

Edited by Scully

My unborn grand daughter was introduced to ratting and foxing a few months ago while her mum was shooting.

Her mum, my daughter was shooting at seven I think and a fine shot she is :yes:

Every gun is loaded, that is what she was taught and thus does not wave a gun around as if it was a magic wand :good: Automatically opens an action if familiar.

You can never tell what your child will turn out like, my eldest never took to shooting really, he didn't mind plinking with the 22lr but wasn't interested in shooting any thing alive. Now my youngest, who's eleven can't get enough of it, first air rifle when he was seven, then a little bit with a borrowed 410 and now, at eleven, has his first 20bore, out with the clay trap on the stubble today and he ain't a bad shot. He had his first introduction to anti's today, being in the middle of the badger cull zone they are out trap hunting and will try and disrupt any shooting if they can. He found the blowing of whistles and feeble attempts to disrupt quite entertaining, I did approach them with a dead clay pigeon that seemed to be a little deaf but they scarpered over the fields. Now there are some that just have no place in the countryside. :yes:

My lad started coming beating with me when he was 4, he just did the morning, he is 7 in October and loves beating and shooting. He has had a small air rifle since he was five ( Gramo cadet) now he shoots a webly and Scott 410 with a cut down stock and stationary targets ( coke bottles filled with water with a clay in front of them)

My mrs was a bit unsure about the whole field sports thing at first, but when she saw how quick he understood firearms safety and responsibility she changed her mind. I have taken him ferreting and he loved this as well ( the Mrs has a pet house rabbit ) .you can't push them they have to do it at there own speed.

Yup i infact took my daughter with me 2 weeks ago she is going to be 5 in a month time, but she's been too keen to go with me, as everytime am going out she is like i wanna go with you at "Shooters". Took her with me and was quite excited even the pigeons which were passing out of range she was like "daddy get them before they get away :)".

Shot first pigeon, she picked it "which honestly iwas like she probably wont as will be scared."

You just need to buy some comfortable ear defenders for your son... good to go.. u'll enjoy out with your son.

Each to their own of course but I think risk aversion to that extent is a bit over the top personally. Kids would never get introduced to shooting if everyone was of a similar disposition.

Statistically shooting has a tremendously safe reputation; and I would even go so far as to suggest ( and certainly statistically ) the greater risk to kids would be the period during the drive to and from the shoot.

As you say, each to their own but I have good reason to hold that opinion. I was close to being shot some years ago by a complete tw*t swinging a gun at a bird that passed in between us, and he pulled the trigger missing me by possibly a few feet at 30 yards. He was off the path of where he should have been at the time and myself and one other were trying to get his attention at the time to get him back where he could see the others and where they could see him. Had my kids been with me then, there's a good chance one of them would have been hit. I have also had an idiot invited to a driven shoot by the landowner pull the trigger from behind me. He was booted off. Again, unnecessary risk taking by people who really shouldn't have a gun in their hands. Maybe I've been unlucky, maybe not, but it's affected my view of shooting with people that I don't know and trust.

I was very late about 14 as my dad had no interest in guns whatsoever.

Got my younger brother into it and take him out now he is now 10.

He is a great shot for his age. Started shooting with towels wrapped round the shoulders aged 8. (his idea)

handles recoil better than my other brother age 15. (probably due to farming all the time. handling sheep etc)

Would never miss a clay shoot or decoying (A guy recently threw a huff at a clay shoot as he was missing a few with his Beretta and getting beat by a 9 year old so he left!) (was hilarious! Sore loser!)

and although my clay gun has little kick he prefers my dads really old 12 Gauge as it is very light and easier for him to swing.

If there keen let them at it! Although don't force them. Like my other brother you couldn't get him off the playstation its a disaster.

Although i was like that when 15 but soon got board of it. Hopefully the same will happen him!

Edited by Marksman1997