more gundog training help needed please

darren m

how do i train or keep my dog from becoming distracted when training, i mean for example other people. kids, other dogs etc.

Also at the farm where i take him , he as taken to trying to chase the chickens, so i have to put him on his lead when we pass them.

and now also watches the birds in the garden, i,m sure hes working on a plan to have one for dinner.

Apart from that basics and retrieves are going well, he as shown much more interest in retrieving correctly since i started using the rabbit skins.

Any tips welcomed.

Darren .

Train where the distraction are. When he performs well on lead under distractions, find new distractions to train under..... :) ... chin up your getting there.

As for the chickens, use them as a distraction, and train for 20 min on lead, in and around them. Get him so that he is comfortable being around birds, not touching them until told to do so.

Also keep him on lead until you are ready to work on some retreives. A dog off lead that is learning is asking for trouble. If he acts up or doesn't follow a command you only have 8 seconds to catch him, take him back to where the error occurred and correct before he has no idea what he is being corrected for.

Keep it FUN

dont try to over train him. go for the basics , heal ,sit ,stay etc especially as you say he has started to chase. Retrieving and unfortunately, chasing are natural instincts to the dog ,walking at heal etc is not. sort these first and the rest should follow but dont rush it . a few weeks or months without a retrieve wont harm. and definately dont show the dog a gun or shot game untill you are sure he is steady to your voice or whistle.

Hi Darren M

These run evening classes at Blyth North Notts, I think they start up again March April time.

DUKERIES (NOTTS) GUNDOG CLUB

Ms S Suchett-Kaye,

Rowan Cottage,

8 Meden Bank,

Bothamsall, Retford,

Notts. DN22 8DX.

Tel: 01623 835694

These also run training classes but may be too far for you.

DOVE VALLEY WORKING GUNDOG CLUB

Mr G Radford,

88 Westlands Road,

Uttoxeter, Staffs.

ST14 8DL.

Tel: 01889 567518

Not sure about these but they maybe able to help you find somewhere near to you.

Leicestershire Gundog Society

Mrs A Weir,

Goss Cottage,

Caistor Road,

New Barnetby,

North Linconshire

DN38 6DU

Tel: 01652 688055

I know a few folks who have used a trainer based at Pinxton near Sutton in Ashfield, I haven't got his details at the moment but if Pinxton is near enough to you let me know!

Cheers