Beretta poor quality?

The difference between field and sporter models is not just auto-safety. Sporters are heavier, stock dimensions may be different, field guns have solid rib, etc.

That's right. I preferred the feel and balance of the Sporter (personal thing) but would have liked the auto safety too. No real big deal, but it's what I've got used to.

Edited by Savhmr

That doesn't make sense you wanted a sporter the spec is with out auto safety, would you have been 'upset' if your field model came with sporting wood work? If you want an optional extra you have to have it fitted at an extra.

You need to re-read then ;) . I bought it because I preferred how it fitted and handled. I mentioned the safety as a dislike at the cost, in passing, so it seems others are making it into some sort of big deal. I'm used to the manual safety now, but would have preferred auto, simples, no big deals.

Edited by Savhmr

I have a modern beretta gas gun that in my opinion is unbeatable in this class of gun . I have owned a number of beretta over and unders in the past (20 or 30 years ago ) and found them to be fabulous guns . Well made and decent wood . The new berettas that I have seen are no where near the quality of the older guns .

Beretta has become a huge animal over the past 10 years and Carrys a lot of baggage that has to be paid for . Not paying so much to detail and using cheaper materials helps to keep the animal going . There are far better guns out there than the modern beretta at less money .

Harnser

I can forgive Beretta for my wood marking issues given I've got a 391 Tenyks that's simply invincible along with a 303 that's unburstable.

Beretta certainly know how to make a gas auto.

Also had a 682 gold E that never put a foot wrong.

I'd buy another brand new Beretta tomorrow.

I can't fault my beretta 686e absolutely love it had it 7 years not a problem

The first generation 686Es are well made, well finished and very reliable. But then they were built in the custom shop by fully trained staff alongside the 682 Gold E to which it is virtually identical, apart from the barrels, adjustable trigger blade and wood grade.

It's a tribute to the excellence of the original 68xx design that, despite the QA issues of recent years, very few 68Xs actually breakdown. Badly fitted and unfinished wood, sticky ejectors, misaligned locking lugs or poorly regulated triggers may be annoying but they don't stop you shooting and many people just carry on and live with the issues.

Things seem better now, both with factory QA and customer service from GMK but there's a lot of catching up to do in terms of goodwill.

I have a late 90s Urika gold field. It is mechanically brilliant, and the wood on it is splendid. The only problem I have with it is that some of the silver background from the silver and gold game scene is chipping around the edges.Fits me perfectly and I don't think I'd ever trade it for another gun.

Which "O" ring is it that only lasts 10 to 15 thousand rounds? Are they expensive? Do they need a trip to the manufacturers to fit?

Saying that you can't take a gun out in the rain because it could do with a bit of oil on the stock first is a bit precious, don't you think?

My Outlander doesn't have exhibition grade walnut for a stock, nor do I expect it to. It's a budget priced Beretta, and at least its stock is actual wood rather that the awful fake stuff.

For the record I own three Berettas, I have had a tiny problem (spring clip missing) with the Outlander, sorted immediately under warranty. I have no complaints.

And, for the record, yes I would very much like to have switchable ejectors on my next Over & Under. In fact I see that as being an important factor in the choice of my next gun.

Edited by CharlesP

Which "O" ring is it that only lasts 10 to 15 thousand rounds? Are they expensive? Do they need a trip to the manufacturers to fit?

Each ejector has a little selector thingy housed in the barrel shoulder which you turn through a few degrees to switch between eject/extract. There is a tiny 'O' ring on each end of each selector to steady it in the housing. There are at least 2, possibly 3 redesigns to try and eliminate the problems of switching into extract mode through the vibration of firing. I believe the 'O' rings become damaged by the shock of stopping the ejector when the gun is opened after firing.

My Prevail had around 9K rounds and one 'O' ring had failed and the other 3 were damaged, although in fairness I did not have any ejector problems with it. You can replace the 'O' rings yourself once you've learned the trick of getting the selectors out.

The reason the switchover system is largely unused is because in extract mode it doesn't extract the shell - it simply doesn't eject it - and thanks to Beretta's legendary razor sharp ejector heads, pulling out the fired case can result in loss of blood!

You can poo poo the comments about water stains due to lack of oil but remember the standard 692 costs over £2.7K in the shops which isn't meaningless money and IMO the woodwork should be finished properly.

Offhand I can't think of any other maker where the owner is expected to finish off the woodwork at home.

It's the orings on the extractor/ejector select gun in that go.

They are a standard size and you can by them on line for pennies.

I do take mine out in the rain, even took it into the hide few weeks ago where it got drenched.

It's just annoying that it isn't exactly a cheap gun at £3k and the wood gets so easily marked.