Anybody, sweep there own chimney?

billytheghillie

It's very easy, unless jackdaws have ripped off your bird guard and deliberately picked the chimney that you use to build their stupid nest.

I have one chimney with a flue liner which is very easy and mess free using a 6 inch brush and an unlined chimney that is harder and messier but still quite simple. I think my brush set was about £30 from a local ironmongers.

it depends on how straight the tube is. Dont do as someone did and wind the rods anti clock or you will lose the rods and brush up the pipe and have to wait for the stuff to melt out or burn away. This guy lost the brush head up there and one day when the bristles had burnt through the head came down the chimney and so did a ton of soot into his front room. His mrs wasn't to amused by this stunt.

Over here in Frogland it's compulsory to have an accredited company do it for household ins purposes.

It's €60 for what is like less than five mins job- the cheque writing takes longer.

They have a van with a giant vacuum in it and then just run the pipe in from the inside of the house and hey presto it done..........

Which reminds me, must book them before this season log burning starts

i climb on the roof tie a brick to a chickens leg and throw it down the chimney

Each year we had to the sweep the chimneys at the hall where I worked for insurance purposes , there were three main flues and from the bottom to the top of the stack was just over 30yds ( 90 odd feet ) , two of them we could push the rods up from the bottom but the third one had a tight bend that was at the top of the breast and the only way we could do was go on the roof , put a ladder up to the pot and drop a weight on the end of a length of bailing twine down to the bottom , tie it to the top of the brush and then pull it up while your mate at the bottom is pushing . if there was a easier way , we never found it .

Each year we had to the sweep the chimneys at the hall where I worked for insurance purposes , there were three main flues and from the bottom to the top of the stack was just over 30yds ( 90 odd feet ) , two of them we could push the rods up from the bottom but the third one had a tight bend that was at the top of the breast and the only way we could do was go on the roof , put a ladder up to the pot and drop a weight on the end of a length of bailing twine down to the bottom , tie it to the top of the brush and then pull it up while your mate at the bottom is pushing . if there was a easier way , we never found it .

Children especially those with bushy hair, Come to think about it, it was probably the way they used to do it when the hall was young in the good old days :hmm: