Gall bladder

craftycarper

Had mine out. They said they would try keyhole surgery first, but might have to go full open depending what they found. I had the keyhole surgery. Was off work 4 weeks after as my job was on my feet most of the day. Was only in hospital one day if you have full surgery you should be in longer and have a bigger scar.

Only difference it has made to lifestyle apart from no more pain is you have to be careful about not eating too much fats or you need to keep a toilet close by next day for the trots.

For ever and its a pig out that does it. A big mix grill needs to be eaten when you know you are staying home next day or near a toilet.

It's been three years now and still get this. I don't stay home. We have a camper toilet in OH's van and I even have a mini toilet in the Landy and blinds just in case. It doesn't affect you all next day, just till its cleared out. My neighbour is affected the same as she had her gall bladder out a few years before me.

I think it is something to do with the fact that bile is continually trickled into the stomach instead of being stored in the gall bladder till needed

Found this article which reckons only 10% of patients are affected. Whether that's all the time or just when you pig out on fats is not specified.

I find small amounts of fats are fine if its a cooked breakfast you need to have lean bacon and trim excess fat off edge of pork and lamb chops once cooked.

The gallbladder is a sac that stores bile made by the liver in between meals. After a meal, the gallbladder squeezes the bile it has stored into the intestine. In the intestine, the bile mixes with food and fat. Bile is important because it helps with the digestion of fat and its transfer from the intestine into the body.

When the gallbladder is removed, bile made by the liver can no longer be stored between meals. Instead, the bile flows directly into the intestine anytime the liver produces it. Thus, there still is bile in the intestine to mix with food and fat. It is true that there is not as much bile, but there is enough to allow the digestion and transfer of fat. People who have had their gallbladders removed do not need to limit the fat in their diet.

The only clear side effect of removal of the gallbladder is diarrhea. This occurs in about 10% of patients. The diarrhea occurs because of the change in the way bile is delivered to the intestine once the gallbladder has been removed. Bile and the way it is delivered to the intestine appears to control the speed with which food passes through the intestine. Removing the gallbladder speeds up the passage of food and thereby may cause the diarrhea. There may be other reasons why the change in delivery of bile causes diarrhea as well.

I had my gall bladder out via keyhole surgery.

Just an overnight stay in the hospital and then off work for a week to let things heal, doctor suggested may have been 2 weeks, but i was stir crazy.

If you do a manual job then It would be longer off of work.

No ill effects after the operation for me at all.

Interesting this as I am also lined up for a gall bladder removal. unfortunatly as I once had a ruptured liver in a car crash, resulting in 100 internal stitches, I can not have the luxury of keyhole, so it's the full monty for me Apparently I have 2 very large stones and afew smaller ones...I'm not that bothered but I have been assured it will be before Xmas so I should be well mended for the spring. from Auntie.

Well I have had a few bouts of chest pains and acid reflux, started in February and I suppose I've had about six bouts of it. First one was so bad thought I was having heart attack In between ones not so bad then the last one a couple weeks back at work was awful. Quack sent me for blood tests which came back fine apart from b12 was slightly down, then I had an ultrasound last Wednesday. Lady that did it said I had a large stone that wasn't moving around at all and that the gall bladder will need removing more than likely by keyhole surgery. Had a phone call from my gp next day asking me to me an appointment which is this Wednesday

I’m lucky in that I don’t suffer. Donkeys years ago on Tomorrows World there was a thing about sonic shock wave technology that was going to remove the need to knife a patient open and it would be quick and easy with a big saving in operating time and cost along with the benefit to the patient of a day job in a clinic instead of the complications of a major operation.
This treatment involved sitting in a sort of hip bath full of liquid and an electric discharge like a big spark plug flash across a pair of electrodes caused a sonic shockwave that travelled through the body and broke up any stones which were passed in a normal manner like grains of sand. I wonder what happened to this idea. Apart from it probably didn’t work out in practice.

I did a quick line search and found these amongst others. Mavelous things those grey cells.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/kidney-stones/other-treatments.html

And

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2197834/Gallstones-I-hardly-pain-shockwaves-shattered-gallstones.html

Edited by fortune

Had mine out 20 odd years ago due to micro stones (I was in my late teens early 20s when this started and caused a great deal of pain to the point of being hospitalised),it's was done using keyhole surgery 3 1" incisions in and out the same day,all good ever since. But yes I suffer if I over do the full cream on dessert or overdo the Christmas chocolates. If you are unfortunate to suffer this just remember everything in moderation.

You will feel a whole lot better once you have it taken out.

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery

Took the medicos fifteen years to diagnose mine! They speculated diagnosis from stress to excess acid to indigestion to IBS!! Then after another attack and 12 hrs of agony I couldn't get a GP appointment so went into A&E the ultrasound picked it up straight away, they tried to admit me to whip it out but hadn't got a bed! Some weeks later the pain reoccurred.....I finaly got admitted and had keyhole surgery......in at 7.30am, theatre 9.15am, woke up 12.45pm (had some complications apparantly?).....home 8pm that night, after a few days discomfort all was well in a matter of a few weeks......that was five years ago!

No adverse affects.............don't miss the gall bladder, the stone!.....or the bl***y pain!

• 3 years later...

Had mine out on Thursday. Having been ambulanced to hospital on morphine twice in the last month, despite a low fat diet, I'm glad I won't suffer from gallstones again. Bruising coming up a lot now but otherwise pretty mobile and trigger finger still works, on the .223 at least.

Missing the M, though. Codeine just not the same... :D

According to https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gallbladder-removal/recovery/

have sex as soon as you feel up to it

My wife has asked for a second opinion

Edited by spandit

Had mine out 2005,keyhole surgery. Wouldn't wish the symptoms of gall bladder problems on anyone. Great way to lose weight if you enjoy vomiting after even the smallest amount of food. 

You should be in and out of the hospital within 24 hours and touch wood I haven't had any problems. Hope everything goes well for you 

52 minutes ago, washerboy said:

Had mine out 2005,keyhole surgery. Wouldn't wish the symptoms of gall bladder problems on anyone. Great way to lose weight if you enjoy vomiting after even the smallest amount of food. 

You should be in and out of the hospital within 24 hours and touch wood I haven't had any problems. Hope everything goes well for you 

I think he’ll be out by now. 😀

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think he’ll be out by now. 😀

Was out that evening. Don't have a lot of energy, though. Tried harvesting some willow just now to make a duck nesting basket but have had to come back inside again and sit down. Pain from the surgery still less than the pain from the gallstones.

Just now, spandit said:

Was out that evening. Don't have a lot of energy, though. Tried harvesting some willow just now to make a duck nesting basket but have had to come back inside again and sit down. Pain from the surgery still less than the pain from the gallstones.

My apologies, I didn’t mean to make light of your predicament. I was referring to the OP, and that his post is almost 4 years old.