Guy shot in head

kent

Today I met up with a man shot accidently by a neighbour in the head with an air rifle

The aftermath is he is left paralysed a bout a quarter of his head missing

No compensation as the guy who shot him is potless and uninsured

He tells me he died twice in theatre

Has this altered my view on airguns after over thirty years of ownership? Yes it has

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I met up with a man shot accidently by a neighbour in the head with an air rifle

Has this altered my view on airguns after over thirty years of ownership? Yes it has

Altered you view in what respect ?

How did Derek Birds deliberate killing of 12 people and accidental injury of 11 others (his intention was to kill them) alter your view on the ownership of shotguns after ....... years of owning them?

Shotgun miss use is nothing compared with airguns. The shooter in question would I suspect never have been granted a sgc.

We can't legislate for madness but we can on proposed use and storage

Let's face it how many might say no to controls if it was thier relative or friend this happens to

Even some insurance cover could have softened the blow for a guy with his work and life wreaked

Awful event however if we apply this to everything how long will it be before everything is licensed and no one can move for red tape. Lots of people are injured for instance by careless pedal bike riders riding on pavements shall we make anyone who wants to own a pedal bike get a licence and put a number plate on it. How about cars, thousands injured and motor sport isn't necessary we could ban that to, lower speed limits to 10mph that would save countless lives. I could go on and on but at some level surely there needs to be some common sense. And why should the vast majority suffer for the tiny minority of idiots. Just my personal view of course

Another step closer to them getting put on license, just a matter of time IMO.

I fear you are correct BJ but as we (mostly) agree it will make no difference to the toe rags who do this kind of thing (accidently or otherwise). All it will do is make the lawful owners poorer by the cost of the ticket whilst driving the illegal owners (if/when it happens) underground. Pretty much the same as is happening with SGC and FAC legislation, don't think many gansta (spelling is intentional) types have tickets.

Remember we have still to see the full ramifications re Scottish licensing of air guns/rifles. So much is being speculated re how an air rifle owner will and won't be able to use his/her gun. Guess we'll find out in April 2016, my prediction is that owners will get a big shock once Sturgeon and Salmond have decided what you can and cannot do with your gun(s). Could we see maybe future airgun laws in Scotland being tighter than FAC/SGC laws.

At the end of the day what is wrong with enforcing the existing laws by both the police and the judiciary???

However nuff said there enough threads on this subject already.

Licences could protect the sport if the terms were favourable to us. Anyone who was a member of a club had access to vermin shooting from the size of say a couple of acres shouldn't have an issue.

Leave it solely in the hands of legislators and we won't get so good a deal

Wait till you see someone who has lost so much just from being in his own back yard at the wrong time

Kent,,,, as you said it was an accident,

accidents happen in all walks of life,, its life as we know it,

I feel for the guy,, but you have to ask yourself,,,

" if you ACCIDENTLY dropped a cup of tea on your neighbours foot and broke his toe " would you have a different view on drinking tea, because after all it was an accident,,

I really cant see what your getting at,

can you please explain what it is your trying to say ???

or have you become an anti over night

Shotgun miss use is nothing compared with airguns. The shooter in question would I suspect never have been granted a sgc.

We can't legislate for madness but we can on proposed use and storage

Let's face it how many might say no to controls if it was thier relative or friend this happens to

Even some insurance cover could have softened the blow for a guy with his work and life wreaked

You're making some very debatable claims above. Unless the shooter was already known to Police how can you possibly know he would never have been granted a SGC, and secondly, where have you got the information that 'shotgun mis-use is nothing compared with air guns'?

My daughter was involved in a car accident at a year old, caused by a fully licensed and legit' artic driver who was driving like a complete and utter nutter. Even the coppers and fire crew in attendance laughed when they realised there wasn't a mark on her. She was very lucky to come through it unscathed. What do you suggest I should have done as a consequence or should do to prevent it happening again?

Legislation based on emotion is known as 'knee-jerk' legislation; the most ill though out type of legislation there is.

Edited by Scully

I fear you are correct BJ but as we (mostly) agree it will make no difference to the toe rags who do this kind of thing (accidently or otherwise).

I fully agree with you....as was the ban on handguns, it had no effect either, but the government had to be seen to do something, which I think will sadly be the case with airguns.

Handguns were on ticket before the ban

Meaning every owner had to show good reason to have one and a full criminal check. Security and an interview

Complete ban? Well actually it's still not happened when you consider the section 5 grants

Don't need a lecture on the pro's & con's of handguns Kent, I had them, so I must have ticked all the boxes, but it didn't stop the ban.

The be seen to do something was exactly that, regardless of on or off ticket, it didn't matter.

Section 5....... Yes we know about it, but the general Joe Public haven't, as far as they are concerned handguns are banned.

You're making some very debatable claims above. Unless the shooter was already known to Police how can you possibly know he would never have been granted a SGC, and secondly, where have you got the information that 'shotgun mis-use is nothing compared with air guns'?

My daughter was involved in a car accident at a year old, caused by a fully licensed and legit' artic driver who was driving like a complete and utter nutter. Even the coppers and fire crew in attendance laughed when they realised there wasn't a mark on her. She was very lucky to come through it unscathed. What do you suggest I should have done as a consequence or should do to prevent it happening again?

Legislation based on emotion is known as 'knee-jerk' legislation; the most ill though out type of legislation there is.

In theory you can get a Shotgun just on wanting one you don't need good reason in practice it's quite different

The guy was shooting from a small back yard try telling a Licencing authority you need a 12 ftlb Airgun to shoot in a 20 ft long back yard.

The whole benefit of non licence is being able to just buy a rifle to kill small pests or for informal or formal target shooting.

A member of a club or smallholder or even someone with a good size garden that represented a safe place shouldn't be penalised

My point is after seeing the results my own mind is now made up. Due to firearm and shotgun definitions air guns are going to be chucked onto fac one day unless we act

I have previously been against this but frankly our organisations are wasting good money fighting bans instead of leading controls to favour genuine enthusiasts and young shots

Think on Airgun rules are very restrictive on the youngsters. In many respects more restrictive than shotguns

So what have we really achieved so far along these lines?

Trust me Scotland will proceed with bad law and we will follow if we don't start talking

When I was but a kid I could walk down to a local spot and just shoot rats. The coppers never bothered in many cases they thought it a good thing and often chatted to us- try that now and you will find changes in legislation and attitudes. So what the heck is wrong with protecting the few that get killed or injured every year by idiots and all the bad press that comes with it

Handguns were on ticket before the ban

Meaning every owner had to show good reason to have one and a full criminal check. Security and an interview

Complete ban? Well actually it's still not happened when you consider the section 5 grants

Yes, handguns were on ticket before the ban, but how does that apply to air guns?

I owned many handguns and can only assume I had a 'full criminal check'. I never had an interview and neither was I told I would need security. I bought a purpose built pistol cabinet because I didn't want anyone to steal my guns, and not because I was told I needed one. It was never secured to anything nor ever seen or checked by a FEO.

A mate who bought his handguns on the same day as me never bought a cabinet and his handguns were stored under his stairs.

None of this bears any relevance to the retrospective licensing of air guns.

Lol, I can not believe I am reading what is written.

I know people injured and dead from cars, motorcycles too. I remember a nut with a machete.

The **** that had a hand gun licence granted by a bigger probably gay **** of a chief constable.

What kind of a statement is it to say shotgun misuse is nothing compared to airgun misuse?

You can not, will not ever ever never legislate idiots out of existence and hence you will always have not just accidents but deliberate acts of violence and it will get worse, especially now so many are brought up on wretched violent computer games!

Edited by Underdog

In theory you can get a Shotgun just on wanting one you don't need good reason in practice it's quite different ​No it isn't; you simply apply for one and unless you're a prohibited person then it is granted.

The guy was shooting from a small back yard try telling a Licencing authority you need a 12 ftlb Airgun to shoot in a 20 ft long back yard. You currently don't need to tell a licensing authority anything; it is quite legal to use a 12ftlb air rifle in your back garden, irrespective of size. Are you suggesting only those who have land other than their back gardens to shoot on should be eligible?

The whole benefit of non licence is being able to just buy a rifle to kill small pests or for informal or formal target shooting.Exactly. Isn't this in contradiction to what you're suggesting?

A member of a club or smallholder or even someone with a good size garden that represented a safe place shouldn't be penalised What constitutes a 'good size garden' and why should people simply be penalised because their garden isn't big enough?

My point is after seeing the results my own mind is now made up. Due to firearm and shotgun definitions air guns are going to be chucked onto fac one day unless we act What do you mean by firearms and shotgun definitions and why should these be a reason for S1 air guns?

I have previously been against this but frankly our organisations are wasting good money fighting bans Are they!? instead of leading controls to favour genuine enthusiasts and young shots Who decides who is a genuine enthusiast?

Think on Airgun rules are very restrictive on the youngsters. In many respects more restrictive than shotguns If this is the case why are you suggesting we further increase air gun legislation?

So what have we really achieved so far along these lines? I'm not sure who or what you mean here.

Trust me Scotland will proceed with bad law and we will follow if we don't start talking So if you agree that the law in Scotland is bad, why are you proposing similar in this country, and what form of air gun licensing do you propose which would be better than that of Scotland given your views on those with small gardens?

When I was but a kid I could walk down to a local spot and just shoot rats. The coppers never bothered in many cases they thought it a good thing and often chatted to us- try that now and you will find changes in legislation and attitudes. So what have our organisations done to prevent those changes in legislation and attitudes? So what the heck is wrong with protecting the few that get killed or injured every year by idiots and all the bad press that comes with it Sorry, but little of that makes sense, but retrospective licensing of air guns will have a huge effect on those who have a legitimate use or interest in air guns while having no effect on those who misuse air guns. It is already illegal to shoot people and their pets.

Lol, I can not believe I am reading what is written.

I know people injured and dead from cars, motorcycles too. I remember a nut with a machete.

The **** that had a hand gun licence granted by a bigger probably gay **** of a chief constable.

What kind of a statement is it to say shotgun misuse is nothing compared to airgun misuse?

You can not, will not ever ever never legislate idiots out of existence and hence you will always have not just accidents but deliberate acts of violence and it will get worse, especially now so many are brought up on wretched violent computer games!

nothing wrong with gays,,,,,, I was born a lesbian :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

Yes, handguns were on ticket before the ban, but how does that apply to air guns?

I owned many handguns and can only assume I had a 'full criminal check'. I never had an interview and neither was I told I would need security. I bought a purpose built pistol cabinet because I didn't want anyone to steal my guns, and not because I was told I needed one. It was never secured to anything nor ever seen or checked by a FEO.

A mate who bought his handguns on the same day as me never bought a cabinet and his handguns were stored under his stairs.

None of this bears any relevance to the retrospective licensing of air guns.

All of that went against procedure at the time

Cabinets have been checked at renewal from Hungerford as have criminal records checks and in the case of target shooting club checks

It's not like I haven't been at this a while you know

On checking for a fac applicant lands have looked at criminal records and also intelligence reports for as long as I can remember and I got my first over 30 yrs back

In theory you can get a Shotgun just on wanting one you don't need good reason in practice it's quite different ​No it isn't; you simply apply for one and unless you're a prohibited person then it is granted.

The guy was shooting from a small back yard try telling a Licencing authority you need a 12 ftlb Airgun to shoot in a 20 ft long back yard. You currently don't need to tell a licensing authority anything; it is quite legal to use a 12ftlb air rifle in your back garden, irrespective of size. Are you suggesting only those who have land other than their back gardens to shoot on should be eligible?

The whole benefit of non licence is being able to just buy a rifle to kill small pests or for informal or formal target shooting.Exactly. Isn't this in contradiction to what you're suggesting?

A member of a club or smallholder or even someone with a good size garden that represented a safe place shouldn't be penalised What constitutes a 'good size garden' and why should people simply be penalised because their garden isn't big enough?

My point is after seeing the results my own mind is now made up. Due to firearm and shotgun definitions air guns are going to be chucked onto fac one day unless we act What do you mean by firearms and shotgun definitions and why should these be a reason for S1 air guns?

I have previously been against this but frankly our organisations are wasting good money fighting bans Are they!? instead of leading controls to favour genuine enthusiasts and young shots Who decides who is a genuine enthusiast?

Think on Airgun rules are very restrictive on the youngsters. In many respects more restrictive than shotguns If this is the case why are you suggesting we further increase air gun legislation?

So what have we really achieved so far along these lines? I'm not sure who or what you mean here.

Trust me Scotland will proceed with bad law and we will follow if we don't start talking So if you agree that the law in Scotland is bad, why are you proposing similar in this country, and what form of air gun licensing do you propose which would be better than that of Scotland given your views on those with small gardens?

When I was but a kid I could walk down to a local spot and just shoot rats. The coppers never bothered in many cases they thought it a good thing and often chatted to us- try that now and you will find changes in legislation and attitudes. So what have our organisations done to prevent those changes in legislation and attitudes? So what the heck is wrong with protecting the few that get killed or injured every year by idiots and all the bad press that comes with it Sorry, but little of that makes sense, but retrospective licensing of air guns will have a huge effect on those who have a legitimate use or interest in air guns while having no effect on those who misuse air guns. It is already illegal to shoot people and their pets.

The answers are my view now and are all contained in the text you are not reading with an open mind

It's my view and although I have argued against Licencing of airguns in the past I am now in favour of us genuine shooting people moving forward with sensible measures - rather than have daft ones pressed onto us

We already have Airgun education coaches and are potentially missing a trick

Could we stop Scotland? No! I bet they get a right old mess leaving the snp to sort it

I grew up in an era where Tom and Jerry were on TV, they clobbered 7 shades of fertiliser out of each other, but at no point did I ever whack anyone in the face with a frying pan!

I grew up in an era where Tom and Jerry were on TV, they clobbered 7 shades of fertiliser out of each other, but at no point did I ever whack anyone in the face with a frying pan!

Anyone else see the program and research carried out on this the other night? Turns out it's a big myth!

If I had to guess I should plumb for not enough kickings growing up and violent films are the difference- I mean who the heck shoots handguns sideways in real life

What actually happened ? I can't see an explanation in this thread, or have I missed it ??

I was wondering the same. For a quarter of his head to be missing I would suggest that that was due to injuries sustained after medical cimplications and not a pellet, not that it alters the fact that he was shot, but it does clearly have a strong bearing on Kent's new stance. I know someone who was killed by a strimmer and someone else who lost an arm to a chainsaw - both of which activities do have training courses available, should we insist that a licence is required for every strimmer sold in B&Q? And if so would that stop accidents happening?