Gutting a Deer (Gralloching) - US

Oly

What do you think of this one?? Anyone know of any UK videos of the same??

Shame he only seemed to have his penknife on him! :good:

Not the best way to Gralloch a beast but at least he wasn't throwing up like tommy (Tommy's deer camp adventure) ;)

Shouldn't need anything longer than a penknife either

The deer stalker I went with, who is a acredited witness, with the meat going onto the food chain. Said it is done like this seperate wind pipe and tie off so nothing can come up and out, do the same with the poo tube and tie off, this seals all the stomach contens and all food, where ever it is in the didgestive process. The whole stomach, intestines, lungs ect is removed as one lump.

Shouldn't need anything longer than a penknife either

Difficult to keep a penknife clean though....unless you can strip it like some of the (very expensive) Buck knives

The deer stalker I went with, who is a acredited witness, with the meat going onto the food chain. Said it is done like this seperate wind pipe and tie off so nothing can come up and out, do the same with the poo tube and tie off, this seals all the stomach contens and all food, where ever it is in the didgestive process. The whole stomach, intestines, lungs ect is removed as one lump.

The Oesophagus is cut and tied at the junction with the Trachea but there is no need to tie the "poo tube" just slide your fingers along it to empty it and break it **DON'T CUT IT** if it is broken it will naturally seal itself even when the beast has been dead for some time. As for the removal of organs.....the 'green offal' (stomach'S'...it's a ruminant, spleen and usually the liver )are removed and inspected for desease during the Gralloch the 'Pluck' (heart, lungs and trachea) are normally removed at the larder and retained for inspection. Next time I shoot a deer I'll try and video the Gralloch and put it on, trouble is I normally stalk alone so I won't vouch for the quality of the video.

Hello i could only view 3min's of it & am horified at his gralloch he should be banned fae deer.There's no right/wrong way just the way your happy to do it & in the field you anal-pitrude it for hygene he's cut to the pelvic & the knife is more than fine just him he's hopeless.