What's going on with wellies

Davyo

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My le shams are now 3 years old and still absolutely fine and they have had plenty use with no issues at all, I reckon I will wear out the grips on the sole long before the uppers fail.

I bought a pair of Aigle short/ankle wellies at the Highland Show in June this year and I am not very impressed at all, the structure in the sole is fairly weak and they wouldn't stand up to heavy use and being worn all day. They were still £80 so not cheap by any measure.

My Dunlop wellies fell apart within a year. I've been wearing Grubs since and no failure so far (must have had them a year and I wade through brambles in them on a regular basis)

+1 for the grubbs. Have gone through hunters, muck, barbour and others in no time but grubbs doing fine after daily use for last 9 months. Only draw back is that they feel quite heavy after a long day compared to others but are at still intact and waterproof. Mucks were the comfiest but didn't last long.

My le shams are now 3 years old and still absolutely fine and they have had plenty use with no issues at all, I reckon I will wear out the grips on the sole long before the uppers fail.

My last ones did two years before splitting where the soles join the upper. I do however use and abuse my boots. 3 miles plus a day with the dogs for most of the year, beating in the winter and shooting 2-3 times a week. The reason for not going with dunlops is I like to be comfortable with the amount of time I spend in them

My last ones did two years before splitting where the soles join the upper. I do however use and abuse my boots. 3 miles plus a day with the dogs for most of the year, beating in the winter and shooting 2-3 times a week. The reason for not going with dunlops is I like to be comfortable with the amount of time I spend in them

I am the same Alex, other than during the summer when it is sometimes dry enough I am in my wellies a lot which i why I opted for comfortable and supportive ones. The shams are great in that respect and suit my feet.

I really hope they don't give out as they are nicely settled in now.

You wont be disappointed dave, I wear mine 6 days a week all year and they last me about 3 years. Buy cheap, buy twice!

Same here,wear wellies every day for a couple of hrs round the allotment & all day over the weekends.Chuffed with the price with free delivery,DPD I think and delivered to a grocery shop less than 200mtrs away.As I'm off down the shoot in the morning I don't have to wait for them being delivered,just collect them when I come home.

I am the same Alex, other than during the summer when it is sometimes dry enough I am in my wellies a lot which i why I opted for comfortable and supportive ones. The shams are great in that respect and suit my feet.

I really hope they don't give out as they are nicely settled in now.

Mine stood up to a lot, beating gives the uppers a pasting but they were fine, the splits I got were a little odd at the rear where the sole meets but I do drive in them a fair bit which may not help. Whatever I reckon I'd done a good few thousand miles in them in comfort so had no qualms with buying another pair

The best pair I ever had was the green Eiger they lasted 10 years and I only paid £40 for them. Unless something has changed, I can't seem to find them anymore. Eiger do have a new style out, but aren't as good.

Cheers

Aled

Edited by Aled

I bought some le Chameau wellies about 9 or 10 years back and still wear them. Comfy, warm and good grip. Like many things, the newer ones don't seem to be as good. When it comes time to replace, I'll probably go down the Aigle route as they do seem to have kept up quality.

Had my Aigles for about six years and they still look like new. The newer versions have a better sole pattern as I slide and skate around in wet mud in mine and have slipped over going down muddy banks more time than I like. Very good ankle support in these wellies.

Another vote for Aigle Parcours. Try Mole Valley for prices and at least you can try them on to get the right size unlike the on line sellers. I have seen others with Le Chameaus that always seem to split around by the heel. Tried Muck Boots but too heavy and the upper bit ripped as soon as it caught a bramble.

Wear mine most weekends in the winter. Like wearing a pair of trainers! Wouldn't hesitate to get another pair. A bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Completely agree with this, I went through various different brands before forking out for Aigle. Still going strong and really comfy.

I have 2 pairs have Aigle Parcours. One pair neoprene and one leather lined both full zip. Both are very comfy but unless it is extremely cold the neoprene stay at home. The other pair I have had about 4 years, many miles dog waliking, beating, shooting and working in them. To me the comfort alone is worth the price tag, at the end of a long day I take them off and it's like a comply pair of trainers.

Had old le chameau - 4 hard years

Hunter Balmoral - less than one season

Sealand - 2 years then split on side of foot.

Aigle parcour - 4 years but beginning to crack where my foot bends, and full of bramble cuts so got a pair of Harkila BEFORE I get wet feet.

Harkila full zip, first impressions are good, took a few days to break in but now very comfy and look smart.

To everyone saying get a pair of plastic Dunlop or whatever, if you wear them all day, most days they are horrible, sweaty in summer, freezing in the winter and a good neoprene lined pair are like trainers!

I'm an angle convert from le chameau and really like the aigle for comfort and durability.

To my mind you can't compare Dunlops - they are uncomfy and freezing in the winter!

Nothing spoils a day more than being cold so for me buying the best clothing I can afford is the way forward.

I bought a cheapo pair (£25) of neoprene lined wellies from Winfields, Haslingden (Lancashire) and Ive had them 2 years, wear them regularly and no signs of splitting or anything else.. no way am I paying for a brand name. I could buy 4 pairs of these for what you would pay for a "hunters" brand and get more use out of them. They are only bits of rubber with soles... If they could make them breathable then that might be worth more cash but then they would probably leak lol...

#cheapwellieswork :)