vw in news

armsid

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to wonder what the software fix for this will be, will it wreck the performance of the cars affected by making them run in Eco mode....... It's hard to see that they will set them to run at current spec.

That's what worries me. Any "fix" will either ruin economy or performance.

Ps you're a blast from the past (306gti6)

Realistically I very much doubt that VW have made a 2.0 l engine that is any more polluting than any other manufacturers 2.0 l engine, so either they all 'bend' the rules and the target limits have been set accordingly or the limits are impossibility strict. Perhaps there will need to be a complete overall of the testing system and more realistic limits set.

Bosch provide the ECU hardware and implement the emission control algorithms in software - typically some of these algorithms are developed by the car manufacturer and some by the ECU provider.

Bosch also proivde the ECUs for numerous other car manufcaturers. They are already trying to cover their rear. The potential claim for all this from all the car manufacturers is huge. I bet they are cacking it...

hot off the press....

• New vehicles with EU6 engines currently available not affected
  • All petrol models, as well as V6 TDI and V8 TDI models unaffected
  • Technical solutions being developed and will be presented to responsible authorities before end of October
Volkswagen Group UK is announcing its action plan to correct the emissions characteristics of certain diesel vehicles.
In the coming days, the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) details of affected cars will be released to Centres. In addition, a self-serve process for customers to check if their vehicle is affected will be set up.
Step by step, affected customers will be contacted, with details of a process to get their vehicles corrected in the near future. In the meantime, all vehicles are technically safe and roadworthy.
Under the action plan, the Volkswagen Group brands whose vehicles are affected will present the technical solutions and measures to relevant responsible authorities in October.
Customers with these vehicles will be kept informed over the coming weeks and months. All of the Group brands affected will set up national websites to update customers on developments.
The specific numbers of vehicles in the UK affected per brand are as follows:
  • Volkswagen Passenger Cars 508,276
  • Audi 393,450
  • SEAT 76,773
  • ŠKODA 131,569
  • Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles 79,838

Realistically I very much doubt that VW have made a 2.0 l engine that is any more polluting than any other manufacturers 2.0 l engine, so either they all 'bend' the rules and the target limits have been set accordingly or the limits are impossibility strict. Perhaps there will need to be a complete overall of the testing system and more realistic limits set.

it's not about being any better or worse than other manufacturers, it's about VW running the tests in a cheat mode to gain a lower emission classification, it doesn't matter what the actual output is as long as it's classified on the actual figures.

I'm just waiting to hear how far this goes back,

I have a 2006 Seat Altea with the 2.0 TDI engine pushing out 170BHP,

I already pay £210 in vehicle tax so will be mighty peeved if expected to pay more,

Hopefully it's very newish cars

:shaun:

Your engine is either an ea188 or an ea189. Both same power. Ea188 is a PD unit, the 189 a CR.

SEAT will inform you or you should be able to look up yourself (with VIN) in a short while.

That's what worries me. Any "fix" will either ruin economy or performance.

Ps you're a blast from the past (306gti6)

Go on then what's your username on there just to trigger my memory.

With this one is it speculation that the models affected are likely to be the higher output ones?

I can't see that they can reduce the power as customers would be somewhat ****** but if it's that or their neck in the noose it might be interesting.

Personally I'd not put a car I owned in but be interesting if anything is done to make you

Talking to a VW sales manager yesterday it seems as if:

a) numbers involved are somewhat exaggerated (media 'expanding the truth')

b) VW trying to fix problem (for Europe at least) so that emissions (true emissions) are same as or close to those on which VED based (why didn't they do it truthfully in the first place) and

c) having a lot of issues around current clients (lots of oldies with nothing better to do) hassling them especially at service/test visits.

Also he was decidedly ****** off by the misinformation being circulated by the media - the morale of this tale is of course don't lie to us.

To be honest, there is an element of changing the rules by the Americans. The engines only had to achieve a certain level when tested and they did.

It does look like VW where complying with the letter of the law rather than the spirit of it

Whilst I'm not qualified to comment on the legal nature of this the precedence is pretty clear - when "caught" manufacturers pay for the corrective action and cough up the fine issued by the relevant authorities.

Go on then what's your username on there just to trigger my memory.

With this one is it speculation that the models affected are likely to be the higher output ones?

I can't see that they can reduce the power as customers would be somewhat ****** but if it's that or their neck in the noose it might be interesting.

Personally I'd not put a car I owned in but be interesting if anything is done to make you

My username was smegal. I was more of a lurker than poster.

Time will tell. My fiance's golf is likely to be one of these that are affected. It is a 2013 2.0 diesel with 150bhp and the computer often gives 60mpg on a long run. If it was possible to have low NoX emissions, and that performance and economy they already would, which means something has got to give. Like you touched upon, the public would be furious if they bought a car for a specific performance or economy only to lose that. I have told her to try to avoid recalls, but it is a lease car so she may be made to take it in to VW. Which is unfortunate as she plans on buying it when the lease is up.

As I mentioned earlier VW (frantically) trying to produce a fix that produces same emissions as per VED 'expectations' without compromising power/consumption. Assume 'defeat' was a cheap or easy option and now 5/6 years on they either have the technology to resolve or the motivation to invest in a fix. This all started in 2009/10 when recession and Eurozone was top of mind. Suspect VW Audi thought nobody would notice. Pity they didn't find a fix earlier and done a recall or update on service erc.

Time will tell. My fiance's golf is likely to be one of these that are affected. It is a 2013 2.0 diesel with 150bhp and the computer often gives 60mpg on a long run. If it was possible to have low NoX emissions, and that performance and economy they already would, which means something has got to give. Like you touched upon, the public would be furious if they bought a car for a specific performance or economy only to lose that. I have told her to try to avoid recalls, but it is a lease car so she may be made to take it in to VW. Which is unfortunate as she plans on buying it when the lease is up.

My Bro in laws Seat Leon FR 2.0 Diesel 182BHP 64 plate comes back as ok so the **** will still pay £20 year road tax :hmm:

:shaun: