410 Driven day. Shoot report.

richg

Well we all arrived booted and suited ready for our first shooting day of the new season, 120 birds, but we were all using the little 410 apart from two on 28 bores, we were a little apprehensive but we had taken the precaution of breaking a few clay's at Orston the afternoon before, this had convinced us that the little gun could really hold its own in the field. After the meet-n-greet and drawing pegs we set off for the first drive, once at our pegs in the warm sunshine with the stubble crackling under our feet we surveyed our surroundings and slipped cartridges into our guns as flankers started to push birds into the game cover out in front of us, suddenly birds were moving and a flush came forward, now was the moment of truth, would the little 410 be up to the job, a single bird came over the line, my pal George on number 3 swung his borrowed gun and fired, the Partridge folded as though it had hit a wall, with that birds were coming over at every angle and height, everyone was in the action. The whistle blew and the drive was over, we gathered together in excitement all extolling the virtues of how we shot, did you see this?, did you see that? we were all on a high with all doubts gone. with pickers up bringing birds in the keeper informed us that the first drive had put 53 birds in the bag, WOW. Nearly half the bag on the first drive. we all decided that with the cobwebs blown out and the 410 up to the task we could be much more selective in the shots we took, on the second drive the breeze was picking up and the birds were really going, but bird after bird was falling to the little gun with another 39 added to the bag, by now we were all walking with a bit of a swagger, i personally killed four birds that i would have been chuffed if i had used my 12 bore. we shot one more drive to finish on 118.

We had put the 410 through its paces and it had come out "rockin" were we all in awe of our day, brilliant, fantastic, does not do it justice, so much so that we are already planning a Pheasant day. As our new pal Les from Yorkshire said "when that shot leaves the barrel it does not know if it came out of a 12 bore or a 410" the 410 patterns very tight and hits hard, we all missed loads but when you connect its dead, we had few runners. You underestimate the little 410. but it can do the job, not on extreme birds but nothing out to 40 yards was safe, ROLL ON NEXT TIME.

PS. Thanks to all those that joined us and to all of you who expressed an interest, i will be in touch.

Richard.

In reply to Old Farrier, i had not really thought about the kill to cartridge ratio, but i am happy to admit my average was down on what i would have expected with my 12 bore, but taking into account a much lighter and ill fitting gun, over the three drives i killed 16 birds for 49 shots, so thats about 3 to 1 which in the great scheme of things was not so bad, i did miss lots of bread and butter stuff at 25 yards but the 35 yard crossers did not stand a chance, at 25 yards the pattern is very tight (full / full) so probably not much more than a dinner plate. But the great thing about this day and everyone agreed was the fact that missing seemed to add to the fun and nobody felt disappointed in their performance, the emphasis was focused on fun and we achieved that in spades.

I am being asked about another day, so will be in touch with all those who expressed an interest, if anyone else would like to be included send me a pm with your full name and e mail address.

Richard

Thanks for the reply and for a enlightening post

3.1 is a good average on a driven day with any gun

I'm so impressed with your day if you have a vacancies in the future and would consider me I would much appreciate the opportunity

I like you have found the 4.10 a remarkable little gun and more than adequate for the job and would enjoy the challenge

I see no difference in shooting partridge with a small bore in range to shooting pheasant with a 12 within range or even geese with a big bore within range a problem only arises when yo Strech the capability of your ability with the gun to a point that is out of the gun cartridge capability

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Thanks for the reply and for a enlightening post

3.1 is a good average on a driven day with any gun

I'm so impressed with your day if you have a vacancies in the future and would consider me I would much appreciate the opportunity

I like you have found the 4.10 a remarkable little gun and more than adequate for the job and would enjoy the challenge

I see no difference in shooting partridge with a small bore in range to shooting pheasant with a 12 within range or even geese with a big bore within range a problem only arises when yo Strech the capability of your ability with the gun to a point that is out of the gun cartridge capability

Anyway just my thoughts

All the best

Of

Well said :good:

sounds a great day.I do not wish to widdle on any fireworks but I do see the partridge as the one game bird where a 410 would do the job....a pheasant takes a fair bit more killing and I would suspect that the 410s will be far more likely to be 'found out' against good strong flying pheasant..whilst 1 or 2 pellets will bring a partridge to the bag a pheasant needs to be hit hard to come straight down.I await your report on the next day.

PS 3-1 is very acceptable on a driven day so well shot!

atb.

Thanks for all the interest, i am quite overwhelmed by the level of interest in the 410 and of our shoot day, as it happens the keeper on the estate has rung me to say that they are having another all 410 day this thursday 1st of October. I know it is short notice but they are short three guns, so if anyone would like to join them contact me asap. same format as our day 120 birds £300 plus tip.

Richard.