4x4 vehicles

Harnser

Lots of interesting talk on here lately about 4x4 cars . I have owned one for the past 40years or so for the main purpose of shooting .

Without a 4x4 my access to my shooting would be very limited and envolve a lot of hard work humping my gear about the farms . All of the 4x4 cars are fuel thirsty ,most of them weigh 2 ton or more and have to propelled along while you listen to the fuel gurgling through the fuel pipes . Do you want one or not ? If so then you have to bite the bullet and pay the extra fuel bills that they cost to drive on the road .Having one will make shooting much easier .

My advise for anybody looking for a 4x4 is to buy a jap pickup of the latest year that you can afford ,stay away from any of the land rovers these will cost lots of money to keep on the road trust me I have had them all . A modern pick up should return you close to 30 miles per gallon average . If this seems expensive then perhaps you shouldn't go down the 4x4 road . The 4x4 is a convenianance that I cannot be without .

Harnser

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why "stay away from any of the Land Rovers"? I've got an '04 Discovery 2 and it costs me relatively little in terms of maintenance (do it all myself) and parts, it's had just one breakdown which was fixed in minutes at the roadside and the fuel consumption averages around 27mpg (TD5 auto). I Cover around 15000 miles PA, mostly on road. I've done a few "heavy maintenance" jobs on it but all as preventitive rather than corrective maintenance. As with any vehicle buy a LR sensibly and maintain it properly and it will most likely be no less reliable than anything else.

Agree that if you want cheap motoring don't go down the mid/full size 4x4 route - that's not what they are for.

My Disco also has a damn sight more character than any Japanese 4x4...

You can't drive your van on the fields now they've been drilled was the word from one of my farmers this weekend, quickly followed by you'll be alright with your quad though :D Unless you have wide field margins a 4x4 can be as useful as a bicycle on drilled fields but farmers are proving more tolerant of this little quad and when I drive it into the back of my van I am getting 50mpg on the road.

what i cant be doin with is all these electrics waiting to go wrong on new vehicles.........if there is a reocurring thread its usually about an electrical fault on a 4x4.......sensors ..solenoids...pick ups...microswitch...EMS....onboard computor.............BBbaaaaaHH......

The 'avoid Land Rovers at any cost' is always trotted out. However, the manufacturer has been going since the mid 1940s and has sold hundreds of thousands of units. Yes there are the bad ones, like all cars but I don't believe they are more expensive than other, comparable 4x4s in the long run. There are dozens of companies selling pattern parts, lots of independent repairers, and over time (ten years) I would say a good Land Rover is more likely to be still on the road than a Japanese truck. Yes, they cost more (Defenders certainly) but you generally get your money back when you sell them.

I guess we are lucky there is so much choice these days, it would be dull if we all were the same.

Why "stay away from any of the Land Rovers"? I've got an '04 Discovery 2 and it costs me relatively little in terms of maintenance (do it all myself) and parts, it's had just one breakdown which was fixed in minutes at the roadside and the fuel consumption averages around 27mpg (TD5 auto). I Cover around 15000 miles PA, mostly on road. I've done a few "heavy maintenance" jobs on it but all as preventitive rather than corrective maintenance. As with any vehicle buy a LR sensibly and maintain it properly and it will most likely be no less reliable than anything else.

Agree that if you want cheap motoring don't go down the mid/full size 4x4 route - that's not what they are for.

My Disco also has a damn sight more character than any Japanese 4x4...

More character? Why is this?

Lots of interesting talk on here lately about 4x4 cars . I have owned one for the past 40years or so for the main purpose of shooting .

Without a 4x4 my access to my shooting would be very limited and envolve a lot of hard work humping my gear about the farms . All of the 4x4 cars are fuel thirsty ,most of them weigh 2 ton or more and have to propelled along while you listen to the fuel gurgling through the fuel pipes . Do you want one or not ? If so then you have to bite the bullet and pay the extra fuel bills that they cost to drive on the road .Having one will make shooting much easier .

My advise for anybody looking for a 4x4 is to buy a jap pickup of the latest year that you can afford ,stay away from any of the land rovers these will cost lots of money to keep on the road trust me I have had them all . A modern pick up should return you close to 30 miles per gallon average . If this seems expensive then perhaps you shouldn't go down the 4x4 road . The 4x4 is a convenianance that I cannot be without .

Harnser

winner of tonights wooden spoon :rolleyes:

I have had 3 land rovers in my time ,a series 11 ,and two discos .a 300 tdi and a TD5 . All were absolute rubbish . Always breaking down and costing me money . On the third call out from the AA on the TD 5 they told me that if I called them out again I would have to pay for the tow in . I promptly put it in the local auction and got rid of it . Never again .

Harnser

I have had 3 land rovers in my time ,a series 11 ,and two discos .a 300 tdi and a TD5 . All were absolute rubbish . Always breaking down and costing me money . On the third call out from the AA on the TD 5 they told me that if I called them out again I would have to pay for the tow in . I promptly put it in the local auction and got rid of it . Never again .

Harnser

Unless my maths is as bad as my gramma I make that 5 landrovers. :whistling:

Unless my maths is as bad as my gramma I make that 5 landrovers. :whistling:

My gramma loved her landies. lol. :whistling:

How many Jap pickups do you expect to be still on the road that are 15 year old or older ? My L200 v6 triton destroyed its engine at 54,000 miles was quoted £2700 for a recon engine plus fitting. My brother in law's Navara timing chain destroyed the Cylinder head at 60,000 and am mates L200 Diesel was wrecked by a pulley delamination.

Have seen two Navara's this week both with rotten chassis under 9 years old.

So Jap pickups are not infallible

Love the good old landrover rant ,in my experience of running landrovers the main problem is a lot are previously owned by farmers that think a can of easy start is maintainance ,if looked after they are ultra reliable and also most jobs are easily carried out by a novice mechanic you won't find a jap pickup like that and spares are 4 times the price but its each to their own they both have their own merits

My son sent me a text the other day to say keep my eyes open for a good 300tdi Defender, as his RAV 4 suspension bushes on the front are knackered AGAIN. He only uses it for gentle off road work but coming from a Land Rover family, and having owned them himself, he just can't put up with the constant maintenance on this RAV.

I think to be honest what he calls gentle in a LR is too much for the jap, it's pushing the suspension too far. I followed him in my Disco a few weeks back down some green lanes looking for deer (no, we didn't have rifles with us) and you could see the rav picking wheels up, the Disco thought it was on Asda car park :lol:

who told you this

Look at the reliability tables for cars sold in this country . My son in law has a brand new top of the range Range Rover ,cost over 100 k . To date one new turbo ,2 new centre consuls . 1 new rear tv screen . It has key less entry and twice land rover assist has had to come out to let him into the car ,and just 10 k miles on the clock . Said that you never want to own a land rover out of warranty . I am afraid that I must agree with him .

Harnser

Look at the reliability tables for cars sold in this country . My son in law has a brand new top of the range Range Rover ,cost over 100 k . To date one new turbo ,2 new centre consuls . 1 new rear tv screen . It has key less entry and twice land rover assist has had to come out to let him into the car ,and just 10 k miles on the clock . Said that you never want to own a land rover out of warranty . I am afraid that I must agree with him .

Harnser

Yeah, but it'll be legal, more than can be said for VW :lol:

Really?

Haven't read many threads on Land Rovers blowing engines, heads and gearboxes. Maybe it's me.....

Look on the land rover forums . You will soon see the problems associated with land rovers . It seems to me that people who buy land rovers accept the fact that they are likely to break down .

Harnser

Look on the land rover forums . You will soon see the problems associated with land rovers . It seems to me that people who buy land rovers accept the fact that they are likely to break down .

Harnser

Look on the Toyota surf forum, it's full of Yota's with problems :good: That's what most folk use forums for :hmm: Check car forums, Argo forums, quad forums, full of things with problems. If that's what you're judging them by then no wonder you hate them.

Harnser, so your sil bought one and it's no good ? You've had FIVE of them and all no good ?

Remind me to never lend you my motor :lol:

Not quite right I had three of them . Series 11 ,300 TDI and a TD5 . The series 11 was the most uncomfortable basic car that I have had the misfortune to drive and had all sorts of electric problems . The 300 TDI started rust to pieces and was a problem to start a lot of the time . The TD5 what a piece of rubbish , 3 hubs failed at different times ,2 rear airbags failed again at different times ,oil in the wiring loom and all sorts of lights coming up on the dash . The TD5 was without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned .

Harnser