4x4 vehicles

Harnser

Its a bit like people rubbishing automatics and saying manuals Are better and you have more control. That is rubbish. They are just showing ignorance, have had a one off bad experience or repeating heresay.

Any vehicle can have a failure but less so if maintained properly.

Ps - multiply off road experts prefer auto. Check the internet....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post was never meant to be a knock the land rover thread . Having had three of the things which were all rubbish and comparing them with the jap pick ups for realiability and running costs it's a no brainer .

Harnser

Got to agree with Harnser on this subject,,, after owning and running series II series III, range rover classics, defenders, discoverys, P38 and the last one a range rover sport.... They all required the time and expense off a spoilt mistress.... Having used toyota pickups whilst working abroad I could believe there reliability and endurance, so I had a couple of these over the years.. Brilliant vehicles,,, I think top gear put one through its paces a few years ago.... Went back to landrover a few years ago and built one for a off road morroco trip,, "really must have a brain ****" as it took more than a year to put the thing together,,,, during this time while researching off roading it became apparent that most vehicles which endured the harsh conditions required were ...... Toyotas.. Both the pickups and the land cruisers,, what really sold me was the fact that while working abroad, middle east, west Africa.. Thats all you seen also when it showed war torn country's what was in th thick of it landcruisers, Nissan patrols, and pickups.... Then there was the interview with the old Aussie bush man ... When asked what was the best vehicle to go out into the bush land rover or landcruiser his reply was " either.. But if you want to come back I would take a land cruiser""

So sold the landrover and bought a landcruiser vx 80,,,,,, best vehicle I have ever had,, it's comfortable, reliable, very very low maintainance and will go any and every where, it's been tweaked a bit and averages 30mpg I don't need to carry a full set off spanners or worry what is going to go on it next, and don't spend half my time underneath it, or worrying about the rust which seems to thrive on landrovers........... I have made a promise to our lass that when the vehicle comes to its final end it won't go to the scrapy but will be buried in the field with full honors and a head stone erected...

By the way just came back from a Spain / Portugal overland trip 4.500 miles with no problems,,, one of the guys who was with us and is more than a keen landrover fan now fancys a landcruiser due to the comfort, high reliability levels

I believe you have to be a enthusiast "as I was " to run a landrover and I take my hat off to all who own and run them,,

Oh hand yes it's a auto landcruiser,,,,, brilliant when the going gets tough!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Im a farmer through the day... we have a '95 M-reg Defender 300tdi. Bought it in 2003. Other then operator error it has been faultless. Needs abit of weld for MOT these days, and had a new rear X-member 4 or 5 year ago. Show me 1 jap clap trap **** thatl still ve going at 20yr old and still towing a 3.5t livestock trailer every other week...

Some are trash, but not them all. We also has a Series III 2.25 a long time ago - it was faultless too.

The Jap pickups are nice, real nice. But when you look at depreciation they are stupid expensive. Also the known faults would make you cry!! L200 engines were made from toffee... Nissan Navara big ends from plastic... the Fords seemed pretty good. Could argue the new ones are all good - but how long before the weaknesses are found?? L200 are weak built... Isuzus seem to be the real deal - but i bet they rust, just like the old ones did.

Buy what you like, if your happy who cares. The new 4x4's will be the most unreliable you can buy - far, far too many electrics to go wrong in mud.

Guest rimotu66

Buy what you like, if your happy who cares. The new 4x4's will be the most unreliable you can buy - far, far too many electrics to go wrong in mud.

Best post on this thread :good: