4x4 vehicles

Harnser

And yet I ran series 3's for years, and never had any problems at all to speak of. I owned the last one for 12 years and never had one breakdown. I did have minor things due to me being lax with maintenance at times, such as having to come back from a camping trip with bean tins clamped round the silencer. I daresay the box was many years old though, I just couldn't be bothered to change it.

I was also aware they're not the most comfortable vehicle in the world so I didn't run them then moan about the ride :whistling:

The last 300 defender I had I ran for ten years and again never had a breakdown, this one I maintained a little better :good: As for the td5, well I just wouldn't buy one.

Methinks somewhere down the line you either (A) don't know what you're buying or (B) buying cheap.

As for japs, I tried a surf and it died towing (bag of Japanese rubbish), my sons RAV is a constant source of trouble, His Girls Shogun has now gone due to repair bills, My mates Pajero has always (I mean always) got something that needs replacing Glow plugs playing up now). Another mates Land cruisr nearly killed him on the motorway with a known problem (brakes).

The list could go on and on. If you're buying LR buy well, they've been around for so long there's loads about and a lot are abused.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet I ran series 3's for years, and never had any problems at all to speak of. I owned the last one for 12 years and never had one breakdown. I did have minor things due to me being lax with maintenance at times, such as having to come back from a camping trip with bean tins clamped round the silencer. I daresay the box was many years old though, I just couldn't be bothered to change it.

I was also aware they're not the most comfortable vehicle in the world so I didn't run them then moan about the ride :whistling:

The last 300 defender I had I ran for ten years and again never had a breakdown, this one I maintained a little better :good: As for the td5, well I just wouldn't buy one.

Methinks somewhere down the line you either (A) don't know what you're buying or (B) buying cheap.

As for japs, I tried a surf and it died towing (bag of Japanese rubbish), my sons RAV is a constant source of trouble, His Girls Shogun has now gone due to repair bills, My mates Pajero has always (I mean always) got something that needs replacing Glow plugs playing up now). Another mates Land cruisr nearly killed him on the motorway with a known problem (brakes).

The list could go on and on. If you're buying LR buy well, they've been around for so long there's loads about and a lot are abused.

good advice for some reason people think there like tanks and you can run around without maintaining them I've done 40000 in my 300 tdi and its never let me down its cost me about £100 quid in parts what other vehicle do you know that could do that

I have owned a disco 2 TD5 for nearly 2 years and while I really enjoy using it I would not touch another landrover. I wouldn't tar all cars with the same brush as that is unfair however look at the number of recalls across the disco 2 & 3, its appalling. The build quality of the cars has to be the worse there is. Yes parts are cheap but if your motor is garage maintained you need a second mortgage to keep it on the road. I would argue some peoples definition of "preventative maintenance" as below is what mine has failed on in the last 2 years. The trouble with landy ownership in my view is you land up with too much money in them, to sell them would mean losing a fortune and the fear of getting it all again makes its hard work calling it a day. I get the whole great car to drive and it is extremely capable but also on my car purchasing list is reliability. If its not on yours then LR all day long.

Oil pump bolt sheared - Seized engine (Breakdown)

Blown gearbox oil cooler pipe (Breakdown)

Failed water pump (Breakdown)

Failed front prop unijoint

Front calipers

Front disks x 2 sets

Rear calipers

Sunroof, complete reseal to body as well as new rubbers

Leaking windscreen

Warped exhaust manifold

Leaking ABS pipes

Leaking camshaft seal

Leaking cam cover gasket

Oil in ECU harness

Leaking transfer box

Noisy torque convertor

Leaking steering box

Replaced all the suspension

well i like landrovers......i have had 3 disco's...all in warranty thank god they were...and i have a friend with a modern range rover...he has spent more in repairs on that than i bought my landrover for

i have had landrovers....not discos freelanders or rangerovers since 1977 in the worst possible environments and with general maintenance have never been let down....

I have owned 3 series landys, 9 Discos and 2 Range Rovers. Never had a big bill on any of them and sold them all for the same or more money than I paid for them.

If you take your time and buy the right one they are as good as money in the bank. Problem is most people try to buy the best spec they can for as little as they can as not bother to dig into the actual service history.

Edited by Freakmode

Guest rimotu66

The series 11 was the most uncomfortable basic car that I have had the misfortune to drive and had all sorts of electric problems .

Harnser

I had to laugh at this one Harnser, uncomfortable yes they definitely are but electric problems??? Theres only about 10 wires in the whole car :lol:

Here is food for thought.

Top 10 most reliable cars 2015 (taken from AutoExpress).
  • 1. Toyota iQ - 98.81%
  • 2. Lexus NX - 98.71%
  • 3. Lexus IS Mk3 - 98.58%
  • 4. Hyundai i10 Mk2 - 98.46%
  • 5. Honda Jazz Mk2 - 97.86%
  • 6. Lexus GS Mk3 - 97.59%
  • 7. Toyota RAV4 Mk4 - 97.50%
  • 8. Nissan LEAF - 97.45%.
Bottom 10 cars for reliability

191. Citroen C5 Mk2 86.88%

192. Land Rover Range Rover Sport Mk1 86.00%

193. Peugeot 407 85.91%

194. Alfa Romeo MiTo 85.35%

195. Volvo V50 85.21%

196. BMW 3 Series Coupe/Convertible Mk5 84.78%

197. Ford Galaxy Mk3 83.56%

198. BMW 5 Series Mk5 83.48%

199. Land Rover Range Rover Mk3 79.57%

200. Land Rover Discovery Mk3 78.36%

Guest rimotu66

My 4x4 experiences.

Starting with my first Land Rover, 1962 Series 11a petrol, my 2nd car at 18 years old, scrapped at 30+ years old with rotten chassis.

Then on to various series Land Rovers from series 11 lightweight, 2x series 11a diesel,2x series 111 diesel all with several faults rot and mechanical but they where old and I was young and abusive towards them.

2x 300tdi Disco's great trucks and very little problem usual rear arch rot and leaky sunroofs included.

1x TD5 Disco, absolute pile of dog doo, rotten chassis, blown radiator and cylinder head and all sorts of lights flashing on the dash as and when they wanted to.

1x Isuzu Trooper 3.0 diesel, a few small problems that where easily sorted, very reliable powerful truck, very comfy and not to bad on fuel.

1x 2005 Mitsubishi L200 Animal great truck, no issues, only sold to buy a estate car which was a mistake.

My current car, another 2005 L200 Animal.

I have owned 3 series landys, 9 Discos and 2 Range Rovers. Never had a big bill on any of them and sold them all for the same or more money than I paid for them.

If you take your time and buy the right one they are as good as money in the bank. Problem is most people try to buy the best spec they can for as little as they can as not bother to dig into the actual service history.

Never a truer word spoken. The times folk have said "picked this up the other day for X amount, what a bargain". Yeah right, wait a few weeks.

Chap at work told me a few weeks ago he had to drive to Cumbria to pick up a 90 his son had bought unseen :no: , bargain at £1600 (200 tdi), absolute minter. I told him not to bother even driving up there as it will be junk, good 90's fetch a lot more.

But no, they had to go and drive it back :hmm: Came in a couple of days later asking how to remove rear tub to do "a bit of welding". They've been on it 3 weeks now and still not done :lol:

You just know that give it a few months and they'll get fed up, sell it off and then bad mouth 90's. Not once will they mention the fact that they're both ********* and bought something that had been in the sea and they know nothing about. According to them all 90's will be rot boxes and the one they paid "good money" for was one of the better ones but still rotten. But they'll both still be experts down the pub :lol:

Seen this too many times now, folk want one but either can't afford one so buy junk or haven't a clue about motors and buy junk

Look at the reliability tables for cars sold in this country . My son in law has a brand new top of the range Range Rover ,cost over 100 k . To date one new turbo ,2 new centre consuls . 1 new rear tv screen . It has key less entry and twice land rover assist has had to come out to let him into the car ,and just 10 k miles on the clock . Said that you never want to own a land rover out of warranty . I am afraid that I must agree with him .

Harnser

my mates got a navara wheel bearing goes new axle another mates got an l200 water pump seized engine blew up whats your point both were less than 12 month old

I had to laugh at this one Harnser, uncomfortable yes they definitely are but electric problems??? Theres only about 10 wires in the whole car :lol:

• 1. Toyota iQ - 98.81%
  • 2. Lexus NX - 98.71%

191. Citroen C5 Mk2 86.88%192. Land Rover Range Rover Sport Mk1 86.00%

193. Peugeot 407 85.91%

195. Volvo V50 85.21%

198. BMW 5 Series Mk5 83.48%199. Land Rover Range Rover Mk3 79.57%

My series only had 3 wires ,a green one .a red one and a black one . The electrical problems I had was from coil , condenser,points ,distributor and any other thing that needed electric

Harnser

• 1. Toyota iQ - 98.81%
  • 2. Lexus NX - 98.71%

191. Citroen C5 Mk2 86.88%

192. Land Rover Range Rover Sport Mk1 86.00%

193. Peugeot 407 85.91%

195. Volvo V50 85.21%

198. BMW 5 Series Mk5 83.48%

199. Land Rover Range Rover Mk3 79.57%

`Bout sums them up !

Guest rimotu66

My series only had 3 wires ,a green one .a red one and a black one . The electrical problems I had was from coil , condenser,points ,distributor and any other thing that needed electric

Harnser

To be fair any car from that era had to have regular maintenance, cleaning/adjusting and replacing anything ignition was the norm.

If you read the forums for any make of car they all seem to have problems nowadays, some worse some better. The biggest problem is the 'weekend' mechanic can no longer fix them with a bag of tools, they all need plugging in to a computer.

To be fair any car from that era had to have regular maintenance, cleaning/adjusting and replacing anything ignition was the norm.

If you read the forums for any make of car they all seem to have problems nowadays, some worse some better. The biggest problem is the 'weekend' mechanic can no longer fix them with a bag of tools, they all need plugging in to a computer.

I remember it well plugs points condenser dwell timing cracks in dist caps and thats before oils and filters tappets tracking and brakes ohh nearly forgot all those grease nipples. 3000 6000 12000 miles services 3 hrs labour for a big service what you get now levels light oil filters wipe its bum and send it on it's way.

Guest rimotu66

Its quite comical how it is always so necessary to put Land Rovers down to justify how good Jap cars are!

Not at all, in my case I have just quoted my own experiences.

I forgot to say I have also owned a Nissan Terrano which was very reliable and good on fuel, only had to weld up the rear inner arches on that.

I've had a 300 TDI 90 since 2007 and only now does he need a new rear crossmember, not bad for a 19-year-old vehicle with six previous owners at least two of which were farmers. Cars need maintenance and as someone has already pointed out many people especially farmers, don't maintain their vehicles in accordance with service schedules.

We also have a land cruiser that needed some bits changing. Remember these are generally 2 to 3.5 ton vehicles that are heavy on tyres, brakes and bushes.

Edited by keg

I had three LR Series. A IIa swb petrol, a IIa lwb 6cyl petrol, and a III swb petrol.

Rust wasn't a problem, and electrics easily fixed. however! Consumption of petrol, oil, and half shafts plus gearboxes as extreme :(

And NO, I don't drive like a maniac

Also rusting of the headlamp reflectors was an MOT fail nearly every year :(

That said a good series LR or a defender is almost indestructible. A disco no thanks, a Freelander, NO WAY

Edited by Redditch

I had three LR Series. A IIa swb petrol, a IIa lwb 6cyl petrol, and a III swb petrol.

Rust wasn't a problem, and electrics easily fixed. however! Consumption of petrol, oil, and half shafts plus gearboxes as extreme :(

And NO, I don't drive like a maniac

Also rusting of the headlamp reflectors was an MOT fail nearly every year :(

That said a good series LR or a defender is almost indestructible. A disco no thanks, a Freelander, NO WAY

Gear boxes on a series :hmm: We all know series 3 synchro's wore on 1st and 2nd but boxes were strong, especially 2a. Who built the boxes and what did they do to them ? Curious about this one. Don't tell me you bought a box off Craddocks please :no:

my mate yesterday sold his landrover........it had a dent on the door and the sill was all bent...............he bought it 4 and a half years ago for £7200.....we replaced the front axel seals....steering box seal...and new brake pads...

he sold it for £7000..............not bad for all that motoring and a bit of maintenance.......

• 4 weeks later...

I have driven more makes of 4x4 than I can remember from very expensive to small and cheap and most pick ups. All have their issues.

I have owned 1 x RR, 2 x Defenders [M plate 300 4yrs 05 to 09 and 59 plate Puma 4 yrs from new], 1 x Freelander 1 and 2 x Freelander 2's and none have failed me and they have been all over the UK and Europe and all used from shopping to commuting to motorways and plenty of track and proper off road including the Freelanders.

as mentioned before - just service them properly and they looked after me including the 300 which I bought as a rolling restoration and even then it did not let me down.

I used the 300 tow a friend dead L200 a couple of times and a relatives Jap 4x4.

I think a load rollocks is spoken about LRs. any cars can breakdown, less so if you look after them and drive them properly.

I am an active member on a couple of LR forums and many times issues are due to poor servicing, misuse or parts that are considered consumables and that includes items such as the famous MAF

OK - I know - time to get off my soap box, just my experiences and opinion from observations

PS - I did make quite a number of improvements to my Defender Puma and sold it for more than I paid for it new after 4 years - work that one out, I am still suprised!

Edited by B391