New PB!!

cloudwalker

I have been shooting pigeon for over 30 years now and have been quite happy if I manage 25 in a day. Only twice have I managed 100. The last time must have been about 5 years ago with a personal best of 106.

On Sunday I went to look at some bean fields. They had been cut and the last time I was there beans were every where but hardly any pigeon on them. As I pulled into the farm my heart sank- the fields had all been ploughed.

I decided to have a look around and saw a few pigeon feeding and a few on the wing. After about 30 mins I decided on a likely looking spot which appeared to be on a couple of flight lines.

I finally got into my hide at about 11.00am with a rotary, a flapper and 16 fuds set out. At first they didn't want to know but once I had one or two things started to change. The birds started piling in in singles, pairs and bunches. I soon got through the 50 cartridges I put in the hide and had to go back to the Jeep for more.

I had never experienced a day like it. The barrel of my auto was hot and even with birds belly up the pigeon kept coming in. My hide was full of pigeon as well as the field. I hadn't a clue what I had shot but hoped it was a new PB.

At 5.00pm I decided to call it a day. I had shot 239 shells and picked up 149 pigeon and 1 crow.

I know many on this forum shoot that quantity on a regular basis but for me I dont expect I will ever get a day like it again.

A day I will never forget!!

Congratulations. Sounds like you made it happen through good reconnaissance, patience and a willingness to set up and give it a go. Lessons for us all there. Thank you for reminding us of the basics which are easily forgotten.

My first solo 100+ day was also in Northamptonshire. Your story brings back some sweet memories so thank you for that too!

Thanks everyone I am still on cloud nine!

It was lucky I decided to put a new slab of shells in the Jeep. I nearly took just 3 boxes thinking that would be more than enough!!

A couple of downsides - my flapper broke and the electronic bit on the turbo of the Jeep packed up on the way back from the game dealers. £680 to replace them both - OUCH

CW