Screwdriver bit set

Cosd

Just treated myself to a drill and impact driver set.

Looking at getting a decent screwdriver bit set. I've got loads of odds and **** but the phillips ones always break.

Any recommendations on a decent set or do they all break?

Just treated myself to a drill and impact driver set.

Looking at getting a decent screwdriver bit set. I've got loads of odds and **** but the phillips ones always break.

Any recommendations on a decent set or do they all break?

I have had cheap ones and expensive ones , my findings to date is they are all carp , so I will be interested in the replies to this.

Edited by fenboy

Phillips ?? Guess you mean pozi drive? The only screw we have that fits a Phillips is carcase screws as normal wood/masonry screws are pz2 . Only saying incase your looking on the web for the wrong tips.

We use the likes of wurth screws and tips as they are far superia to any other and last ages except in an impact driver where none of them last.

Phillips ?? Guess you mean pozi drive? The only screw we have that fits a Phillips is carcase screws as normal wood/masonry screws are pz2 . Only saying incase your looking on the web for the wrong tips.

We use the likes of wurth screws and tips as they are far superia to any other and last ages except in an impact driver where none of them last.

Sorry, old school!!

I do mean pozi drive.

Done some research last night (I was bored) on the net and seems the Makita Gold read well.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if nothing comes up I'll give them a try.

I think I do need to get impact driver specific type as they are designed for greater torsion. I could be proven wrong though.

I do want to get a set of various tips not just pozi

Edited by Cosd

I have the black impact set from dewalt you get two title cases a yellow case with drill bits and a black case of screw impact bits I've had them 2 years and use them on all my fencing work. This is the same as my impact bits http://www.onestophire.com/buy/breaking-drilling/drill-bit-sets/dewalt-25-piece-impact-bit-set.html

I only use for diy work but use quite a lot.

Makita gold set have been fantastic as have wera all though pricy.

In the construction of my dads 24' X 12' shed we used thousands of pz2 screws and I used de Walt 25 boxes that only cost about £4 and I only broke a few of them.

Just get the right bit for the screw, the amount of times I see people trying to put in Phillips screws with pozi bits! Drives me mad, and they wonder why they smash up bits!

Ps pm me and I'll send you a few dewalts to try.

Wera gold bits with the green band. I have paid the extra for the black impact driver bits and they didn't last as long. I buy them in a box of twenty at a time. The black impact ones are not as hard and wear then slip ruining the screw heads. The gold ones when they go, snap and don't damage the screw.

Edited by figgy

...get the right bit for the screw,..

It sounds obvious, but this is a great piece of advice. Like most hapless blokes, I've got a totally random tin of old and new screws, and an equally random set of screwdrivers and bits. Never is time more productively spent than trying every damn bit in the screw to find the correct fit.

LS

Also worth noting keep the impact driver in direct line with the screw and firm pressure behind it till the screw is set to the depth you want, none of the bits cope well with being spun out . Sounds obvious but how many times do you find some numpty pick up your driver with a new bit in it and hear that sound...BRrrrrrrrrr, BRrrrrrrr as the bit is spinning wildly without driving the screw at at !!!!!!!