Zeroing my new X-Sight 5-18x

Redditch

So, just fitted and zeroed my X-Sight 5-18x on my CZ550 American Varmint in 22-250

First thing, I couldn't fit the sight all the way back on the weaver rail, had to go one forward, and the lugs of the sight itself were otherwise catching the bolt, and preventing it going fully forward.

So, once fitted it was down to sighting it in.

First four were no where near the target at 30 metres, despite bore sighting, so moved to 20 metres, and got it on target.

Then getting bull on bull at 50 metres was no problem.

A large difficulty is having to zero in base magnification. 3x for the 3-12x and 5x for the 5-18x.

That done, I moved it out to 100 metres, where I was 2-3 inches high (the scope is about 2 inch above the Bore, so quite high compared to what I normally use). Getting it back on bull was a problem. (My fault, should have chosen a different reticle, one for target not fox and game, as the centre BLOB of the reticle completely obscured the small targets I was using).

Then trying to move the POI down to be 1" high at 100 metres proved a nightmare, as I automatically kept reverting to doing it as I did with my optical scope, and that won't work with this.

In the end, moved the target back to 50 metres, and zeroed it at 3/4 inch below centre there, which SHOULD give me about 1 inch high at 100 metres all being well.

The scope itself, appears well made, and solid. Zeroing can be a bit off putting, as the crosshairs move across the screen, as you zoom in or out. This isn't a problem though, as no matter where the cross hairs are, that is POI.

Also, you CANNOT scan across a field extremely fast like you would with an optical scope, as although the obsidian core is fast, it doesn't process the video on the screen fast enough to be smooth. Slow the scan down, and it's smooth.

Wi would think its processing about 20-30 FPS, whereas 60-120 FPS would be far better, but that would probably eat batteries even more than it does now.

With good batteries, and even better, an external power source, the amount of time you can use the scope will vary between 2-3 hours and 18 hours (depending on what batteries, and then if you use an external power source, the size of that too).

Zooming to anywhere near maximum zoom, gives a very grainy view, so I would keep to a maximum of around 10-12 (on the 5-18x). I'm not sure what the 3-12x would be best on, probably around 7-8x would be smooth on that.

So, yesterday it was bang on on the zero. Recharged the batteries and went to the farm, setting up at 01:15.

Saw TWO foxes, a small vixen at 01:30, which I missed :( thought not normal for me, but new scope, who knows (haven't missed one in four years LOL)

Then at 03:10 - very large dog fox appeared, but wouldn't settle and moved constantly in and out of view.

But eventually he was broadside on, and I took aim behind his shoulder, middle mass of chest, increased IR power, and BANG !!

Both these foxes were between 100 and 120 metres away, so for the normal shooter, should have been a certain kill ......

CLEAN MISS damn it, and it, so this afternoon I just checked the zero.

Despite being perfect at 0.75" under POA at 50 meters last night when I zeroed, it had moved, and was now 10" LEFT and 6" LOW.

The sight had not been knocked, the rifle not dropped, and had been transported on the rear seat of the 4x4 (heavily padded seat) over a concrete road to the farm.

Now rezeroed at 3/8" under POI at 50 metres, so should be bang on at 100 metres. I can only think putting in the highly charged batteries maybe gave it a "shock" and displaced zero ?

If it does it again, it will be going back pronto .....

Edited by Redditch