Zeroing my 5-18x X-Sight

Redditch

So, just fitted and zeroed my X-Sight 5-18x on my CZ550 American Varmint in 22-250

First thing, I couldn't fit the sight all the way back on the weaver rail, had to go one forward, and the lugs of the sight itself were otherwise catching the bolt, and preventing it going fully forward.

So, once fitted it was down to sighting it in.

First four were no where near the target at 30 metres, despite bore sighting, so moved to 20 metres, and got it on target.

Then getting bull on bull at 50 metres was no problem.

A large difficulty is having to zero in base magnification. 3x for the 3-12x and 5x for the 5-18x.

That done, I moved it out to 100 metres, where I was 2-3 inches high (the scope is about 2 inch above the Bore, so quite high compared to what I normally use). Getting it back on bull was a problem. (My fault, should have chosen a different reticle, one for target not fox and game, as the centre BLOB of the reticle completely obscured the small targets I was using).

Then trying to move the POI down to be 1" high at 100 metres proved a nightmare, as I automatically kept reverting to doing it as I did with my optical scope, and that won't work with this.

In the end, moved the target back to 50 metres, and zeroed it at 3/4 inch below centre there, which SHOULD give me about 1 inch high at 100 metres all being well.

The scope itself, appears well made, and solid. Zeroing can be a bit off putting, as the crosshairs move across the screen, as you zoom in or out. This isn't a problem though, as no matter where the cross hairs are, that is POI.

Also, you CANNOT scan across a field extremely fast like you would with an optical scope, as although the obsidian core is fast, it doesn't process the video on the screen fast enough to be smooth. Slow the scan down, and it's smooth.

Wi would think its processing about 20-30 FPS, whereas 60-120 FPS would be far better, but that would probably eat batteries even more than it does now.

With good batteries, and even better, an external power source, the amount of time you can use the scope will vary between 2-3 hours and 18 hours (depending on what batteries, and then if you use an external power source, the size of that too).

Zooming to anywhere near maximum zoom, gives a very grainy view, so I would keep to a maximum of around 10-12 (on the 5-18x). I'm not sure what the 3-12x would be best on, probably around 7-8x would be smooth on that.

Well, the first night was bad, as I got to the field at 23:00 and at 23:30 a vixen appeared, bang, and it trotted off ? Thought, hmmm, first one I've missed in 4 years, ohh well.

At 00:30 a big dog fox appeared, sighted, bang, and it runs off too ?

As at till 05:30 nothing else appeared, was back in bed by 07:00 bit got up at 10:00 and checked the zero

10 inches LEFT, and 6 inches LOW ?????

Hadn't knocked the scope, so don't know what caused it. Rezeroed and was back on bullet on bullet.

Next night was a no show as calves broke out, and had to get those back in :(

Tonight not shooting as all the trail cams were misted up :(

So rebaited, and see if I get footage tomorrow

Has it had all of the firmware updates? I believe the x-sight had lots of teething troubles with shifting zero but it has supposed to have been cured with updates.

It's on the newest firmware. Some people suggested it had a bang to the butt, but it hadn't. Only thing was I put fresh batteries in, so maybe it got a "shock" ?

Still waiting to "christen" the X-sight :(

Hmmmm, wierd night. Setup at 21:15 to discover the IR torch batteries were dead, so quickly back home, grabbed some spares, fitted them, and back set up by 21:30

Fox was due on top field bait at 22:20, and then several on bottom field bait at 23:00, 00:00, 02:00, and 06:00

Nothing came, except a black cat (OMEN ?), which went on its way after eating some bait.

It was soon getting cold and very misty, so seeing anything was getting difficult, and so I packed up at 02:30 and went home, walked the dogs, and got some zzzzz's, asleep by about 04:00

TWO reasons they didn't come I think.

Last night the farmer was out and didn't return till about 00:20 so yard lights were on, (which also cover the field), until about 00:45

ALSO, the poachers were out and about, this time not using rifles but shotguns, and using the "vixen in heat" call.

Every so often there would be the BOOM BOOM, of two shotgun shells being fired, and also there was the constant call going, which moved along the road network (easy to hear sat up on top of the hill) at about 500 metres every few minutes.

NOT conjunctive to a good nights shooting, so will try again tomorrow.

I saw their truck and car yesterday (they were in TWO vehicles, maybe THREE, as a third was parked on another similar field, also being shot), as they were shooting corvids on a field not far away (one I don't shoot, and the farmers don't like shot), as there are far too many houses about, and if it's shot complaints come into the farmers fast and furiously :(

No doubt I will be getting the backlash off that, as everyone will think it was me :( (as I'm the only one with "permission" on these fields )

Ahh well, try again tonight, and hopefully better luck, but it means the cameras won't be giving me a true picture of what to expect tonight, so will have to go on the previous camera sightings, and hope they return to pattern

One thing I will say, the laser IR supplied with the 5-18x (it sure if one is supplied with the 3-12x) is far superior to other laser IR I have seen and used (aka Photon and Pulsar)

Whereas others are very "grainy" looking, this appears very clear, almost LED quality.

It comes as standard with 3 power settings, but range is limited to about 100, maybe 150 metres with it.

That said, I also noticed that when in the NV setting, looking through the scope, you can see farther and clearer with the screen set to green, than you can if its set to B&W.

The reason ? No idea lol, but it's what happens :)

This means that you can keep the IR power low, so as not to spook the foxes :)

Obsidian? That's a really cool sounding word. I'd love to have optics as opaqe as that, er NOT.

Obsidian is the name of the processor that's used in the X-Sight.

It's a quad core, and used in the top end smart phones, and quite fast. However, in my opinion, they would have been better using an even faster one, BUT, that would have come at the expense of yet more battery usage.

A set of standard alkalises lasts about 50 minutes, a set of bog standard lead AA about 10-15 minutes.

Panasonic Enloop NiMh rechargeables, 2500 mah, last quite long, and have used them 6-7 hours without depleting them, but the best (awaiting delivery) are the LiOn rechargeables from Kentli 2800 mah. These however are rarely sold in the UK (and if they do they ask £16-£20.00 EACH battery, and £25.00 for the charger).

So order them via eBay from China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, or the Philipines. There they cost about £25.00 for FOUR WITH CHARGER.

• 2 weeks later...