Pulled Over

Hypothetical, but just wondering if the police happen to pull you over whilst you are travelling with shotgun/firearms in the vehicle, are you best to tell them that is the case (for example, it would be 'irresponsible' to leave the car unattended if you did). If you mention it, could they take it as threatening? They're police officers but not firearms officers so are they 'allowed' to keep watch over the guns.

Just popped into my head!...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stopped many years ago, Policeman was looking for a Drink Driver, (I hadn't had a drop) he saw the gun case on the back seat asked where I'd been, told him I'd been shooting grey squirrels with an air rifle.

Just checking he said.

End of conversation!

Cheers

Aled

For me it would depend on what the copper that pulled was like and why i was pulled, if was a copper looking for something to do (its happened to me before was stopped for a drink drive check then me went round the car looking for some thing wrong) or just stopped to say a light was out I wouldn't say any thing unless i had too. I they wanted to search the car then yes i would.

It would seam that the police know you are a lisence holder before they stop you any way.

If you think it's relevant to the stop tell them, if it's just a mass tyre, insurance, drink driving check on the side of the road I probably wouldn't bother.

We once got stopped about 3 in the morning, three of us in the car with 2 rifles and a shotgun.

The policeman asked what we were up to? We told him lamping, he checked the guns serial numbers against our tickets, had a chin wag turned out his boy had just got a air rifle.

We went our separate ways no probs.

Many years ago I was stopped by two policemen in a car as I was leaving a clay shooting ground, they had been parked right outside the entrance and followed me down the road before putting on the 'two's and blues' and pulling me over.

I asked what the problem was and they said that they had reason to believe that I might be carrying firearms !!

I suggested that that was very likely considering where I had just come from and that considering that I was a SGC holder it was perfectly legal so what was the problem ?

They said that they wanted to see the gun/s so I asked why and if they were firearms trained.

At this point I took out a notepad and made a big thing out of writing down their shoulder numbers whereupon they got in their car and drove off.

Their attitude throughout the encounter was belligerent and obnoxious so I made a formal complaint to the local station and got a written apology.

The odd thing was that the ground in question was well used by local policeman including a chief superintendant among them !

They will or should be aware your a FAC/SGC holder before it even comes to a stop.I was only stopped once (3am)and after he asked ,is this your car & what's your name ? Ok,are we caring any firearms in the vehicle today Mr Xxxxxxxx ?I informed them I was as I had been out shooting and that I was now making my way home.They didn't ask to see my rifle and were quite pleasant,I had no objection to being stopped what so ever.Just a random stop as early hours,had a tail light that was a little obscured with mud,advised to check over my car before leaving farm.No ticket just good advise & off I drove,as for telling them I have a firearm in the car I wouldn't.They should already know there is a possibility when they run you through their computer before even stopping you.If on the other hand they didn't & asked you to leave the vehicle to go back to their car for whatever reason,then it's just common sense to advise them that your car needs locking as there is a firearm in the vehicle.

If they pull you over it's likely they may have pnc checked you which would flag you up as being a firearm/shotgun certificate holder and would therefore guess it a possibility anyway, although I don't think it would harm to tell them anyway. And yes a constable may take charge of a firearm without the requirement to hold a certificate to carry out there lawful duty

The Police will know you are a license holder only if they have already pnc checked the car via. it's registration number and you, the driver are the registered keeper. If it's a hire car, the wife's or mates car they won't know it has a link to a firearm. The pnc link is to you the individual not the car you're driving.

Mr Potter

Interesting points, thanks. Hopefully it will never happen but certainly I'm often out and about at strange times doing what would appear to be odd things. Something else I've always wondered which maybe some of you will have experience of, is should the police arrive to do a firearms spot check, or whatever, if they ask to see where you keep your keys, are you allowed to refuse? Could it be a trick question??

You may sense I think the world is out to get me!

Many years ago I was stopped by two policemen in a car as I was leaving a clay shooting ground, they had been parked right outside the entrance and followed me down the road before putting on the 'two's and blues' and pulling me over.

I asked what the problem was and they said that they had reason to believe that I might be carrying firearms !!

I suggested that that was very likely considering where I had just come from and that considering that I was a SGC holder it was perfectly legal so what was the problem ?

They said that they wanted to see the gun/s so I asked why and if they were firearms trained.

At this point I took out a notepad and made a big thing out of writing down their shoulder numbers whereupon they got in their car and drove off.

Their attitude throughout the encounter was belligerent and obnoxious so I made a formal complaint to the local station and got a written apology.

The odd thing was that the ground in question was well used by local policeman including a chief superintendant among them !

Sounds like you had a great attitude towards the officers, maybe if you had been polite and freindly you'd have got the same in return?

Interesting points, thanks. Hopefully it will never happen but certainly I'm often out and about at strange times doing what would appear to be odd things. Something else I've always wondered which maybe some of you will have experience of, is should the police arrive to do a firearms spot check, or whatever, if they ask to see where you keep your keys, are you allowed to refuse? Could it be a trick question??

You may sense I think the world is out to get me!

There is absolutely no reason legal or otherwise for anyone else to know where you keep your keys. If however the question is asked just reply "Securely ".

Sounds like you had a great attitude towards the officers, maybe if you had been polite and freindly you'd have got the same in return?

Polite and friendly to two idiots who, as I said, were waiting outside a shooting ground, whose attitude was very belligerent in that the pair of them crowded me against my car, who, when it looked as though I might do something about them, got in their car and cleared off !!

Read all of what I wrote and you will see that I was the one who got the apology.

In the bad old days here in NI I was was stopped at a Vehicle Check Point. VCPs were thrown up wherever was felt necessary so you had no idea when or where it would happen. I had a shotgun in the locked boot. Sometimes you were waved through after an ID check but on this occasion they wanted to search the vehicle.

Fair enough. Before I opened the boot I warned the policeman that there was a gun in the boot, but all was legit. A quick radio call later and I was let go without even opening the boot. All he said was "That's not what we are looking for." Before I left he gave me a wink and a pat on the back.

He definitely appreciated being told before he saw the gun himself.

Hypothetical, but just wondering if the police happen to pull you over whilst you are travelling with shotgun/firearms in the vehicle, are you best to tell them that is the case (for example, it would be 'irresponsible' to leave the car unattended if you did). If you mention it, could they take it as threatening? They're police officers but not firearms officers so are they 'allowed' to keep watch over the guns.

Just popped into my head!...

FAC and `SGC show on PNC as Firearms markers so as soon as your name is known and put through the computer, they will know. A Police Officer can legally take possession of a firearm and does not need a cert or permission. The Firearms act caters for such.

No real need to inform them you have one if your pulled over for speeding etc, if they are going to search I would suggest you let them know. Most Police will be clueless in the handling of weapons and they may ask you to show it is clear. Some may be worse and call an ARV to do it, but as long as you have your FAC or SGC shouldnt be an issue.

The Police will know you are a license holder only if they have already pnc checked the car via. it's registration number and you, the driver are the registered keeper. If it's a hire car, the wife's or mates car they won't know it has a link to a firearm. The pnc link is to you the individual not the car you're driving.

Mr Potter

The desk will tell them over the radio, its the first thing they will tell them