True cylinder choke question

FalconFN

If you get stuck Mr Falcon then I have a FIAS OU sporterised Trap choked at SK & 1/4 that you are welcome to use to your hearts content-its a high rib Medalist by any other name and just sits in my cabinet gathering dust.

That is tremendously kind offer, but fingers crossed the gun I've bought will be useable. I'm using my (your old) 16g, it's still my only gun, but the carts are a little limited and quite pricey for everyday use so I took a punt on a rough and ready 12g OU (I actually got 2 shotguns, a sxs and ou, for £40) to use as a hide gun.

Thanks again, and enjoy your new one!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if you keep the range somewhere around 30-40 yards with the correct shot ie 7 or 6 then you will be bang on the mark for hide work. As already said anything past this is getting silly and 70 yards is just pure luck with open chokes and mostly luck with full chokes as the shot size increases so the pattern density goes down.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read all of these posts and I am now at a loss to what choke to use in my Beretta 391 for sporting. I usually use the Beretta **** which should be a 1/4 or possibly IC !!

You cannot go to far wrong with 1/4 for most sporting birds. All of my O/U shooting has been with either my skeet which is cylinder and 1/4 or spsp which is bored 1/4 1/4, using #8 fibres. The Maxus semi-auto I have just bought will be fitted with either the 1/4 or an extended 3/8 for its first outing next week.