Attention fly fishers

demonwolf444

My father loves fly fishing for trout and salmon he has a lot of different bits of kit but one of his pieces which i have memories of going back 15 or more years is a canvas and leather kit bag, which has accompanied him on many trips, including those few i accompanied him on, fishing on the Tyne, on lochs when in holiday in Scotland as a child, and aged ten or so rummaging through this bag for a pair of scissors when he caught his own hand and we had to drive to the ER and more recently fishing locally. I believe he has had the bag in question since he was a teenager and he's now over 50.

A couple of months ago the bag went missing, either in the process of us moving house, or perhaps left on the banks of the river, (he's currently with Danby and Jervaulx fly fishers and probably lost it around cover-bridge area if anyone happened to pick it up! ) Anyway the bag is gone which he was really upset about as he's had it for so long but also he lost a load of reels, traces and other equipment.

Anyway in a fleeting moment of good will i have bought him a new ( second hand ) canvas and leather kit bag and thought i would fill it with some odds and ends, I work with wood a lot so i'm going to turn him a nice priest, and then just get some other bits.

The issue i have is i really don't know that much about kit and equipment and would appreciate some guidance on the sort of things i might look at getting.

Appreciate any guidance!

Edited by demonwolf444

Ooh blimey - Thats a whole can of worms as to what goes in the bag!!

Have a look at fishingmegastore.com for salmon and trout flies and fly boxes (you can get nice presentation sets), a pair of nippers to cut line, a couple of fluorocarbon lines in different weights, a bottle of floatant - it can be a very long list.

Does he still have his lines, reels and net?

Ooh blimey - Thats a whole can of worms as to what goes in the bag!!

Have a look at fishingmegastore.com for salmon and trout flies and fly boxes (you can get nice presentation sets), a pair of nippers to cut line, a couple of fluorocarbon lines in different weights, a bottle of floatant - it can be a very long list.

Does he still have his lines, reels and net?

Worms for Salmon!!!! Tut tut! :)

Hi

Sorry for your fathers loss mate

Good on you for getting him a new one as for filling it

Haven't got a clue about fly fishing

But I gess hooks line stuff to dry the flys scissors

Scales disgorger and stuff like that

Sorry I can't be more help

I'm sure someone will be along soon though

Hope you get it sorted

All the best

Of

Edited by Old farrier

Cheers fellas i had to go to the post office today to get passport photo's for my renewal, and next door is a fishing shop, i was advised on some flys for early season next time around so bought a selection of flies, and put them in a leather wallet that i made, and coupled that with the bag and a priest i turned, I really couldn't afford much and the choice in the shop was limited as its the end of the season supposedly ( shows how much i know ) and i just left it on the table for when he got home from work, he was really pleased. He seemed to think a lot the kit he lost was old and past much good, i think he took it as an opportunity to replace some of the older stuff but he was really pleased with the bag so happy days all round.

Odds are it wont be as I dont have a dog :no:

But what I do have is quite allot of fishing tackle that i no longer use. I am also in a good mood today and feel like making someone happy.

So hurry up Demonwolf It doesnt normally last for too long :lol:

In that case I agree with La bala :good: