Bullshot

southwest_colonel

Afternoon all!

As autumn seems to be well underway in these parts - there's definitely a slight chill in the air these days (more the better for it!) - I've been experimenting with my attempts to make the best bullshot I possibly can. I've yet to quite nail it though, so was looking for inspiration - any top tips or recommended recipes would be greatly appreciated, as well as thoughts on the great debates... Sherry or vodka, beef or game consumme, is stock acceptable, should there be a merest hint of citrus acidity (or is there no place for lemon in this drink).

When at home I often mix up an oxo beef stock cube with a splash of Tobasco and Worcester sauce plus a grind of pepper, no alcohol. It's crude, but quick and simple on a cold evening - but obviously wouldn't cut the mustard for a warming elevenses in the field.

Much obliged James. Today's research has thrown up about as many different variations as I could have imagined - from the very simple to the incredibly complex. Then in-between I've found Frank Boddy's infamous recipe from Ripley Castle (Recipe), it certainly sounds like its been honed over a few years...

Edited by southwest_colonel