WHAT AIR RIFLE AND WHY

evo

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here it is

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=714f251e4dd58c27a8e30d3496e72427&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=322458&p=2926301&md5check=843bb28cce045dbbf27272ad8ada39b0&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,SAniz9ECu8M');//]]></script> 006_zpszffboiiy.jpg&&0

012_zps2mqz9a2n.jpg

005_zpsrb17cbgy.jpg

roll on the weekend

This is a post I never thought I'd see. Nice one Evo, I look forward to your refections on it

Good choice, I'm sure it won't disappoint they are lovely to use and very very accurate. Mine has been used quiet a lot and is faultless.

I have just ordered an lgv master pro for a bit of springer fun. They now have adjustable butt pad as standard. Will be interested to see if it can compete with the AA TX.....

evo.

Well done, you will love it. ..... Branthwaite's good people to deal with but .... can you tell me why you didn't buy from North Wales shooting school?

I had a look around NWSS and they had the rifle new up for sale but £80 more, also looked at a few daystates but they were seriously overpriced,

one rifle that I have looked at that has impressed me is the Air Arms ultimate sporter, lovely to shoulder but its the laminate stock that was off putting,i even had a look at the Hw 100 in laminate but it just wasn,t for me,

had a 10 min zeroing play with the rifle this morning, windy as hell so really couldn,t expect much but had the rifle grouping 1 inch groups at 40 yrds and to be honest it was blowing a gale, i,ll wait till its not windy before I spend some time with it, seeing how well it groups and with what pellet, personally I don't think it will be too keen on the AA Diablo,s judging by how it grouped this morning, it seems a lot of people with the hw100,s tend to like the Bis Mags

Well slap me with a wet fish , you will be buying another springer next :lol:

you know me fenboy,,, a man of my word :lol::lol: :lol:

Bis mags in 4.52, or even better, Baracuda Match ...

I,ve been very impressed with the barracuda,s they certainly shoot very well in all my Daystates, I,m looking forward to experimenting with different pellets though, I,ll post the results up on here

Variety is the spice of life.

I'm sure it will perform very well but I must admit that side levers don't appeal to me either, although there is no logical reason why

My thoughts exactly!

Good look with your new rifle evo, no doubt you will give it a good test and keep us posted on the progress.

I've a HW 100 in .22 and it's very accurate, quiet and reliable. Shot count is down on my MFR but it's not often I need all of them anyway.

Hope you manage to find a pellet it likes, but mine doesn't seem that fussy tbh.

On the leak front mine is a mk1 and did suffer from a leak but I put this down to it being bust when I bought it. Hopefully yours will be ok and the warranty is nice on a new pop gun. If yours is anything like mine (now it's fixed) you'll love it.

Atb

Scott

well chaps,, I,ve spent all morning trying the new rifle out , the distance I decided to set up was 40yrds, ok,, now I,ve bought this HW100KT because everyone whom owns them has told me just how good these things are and that they are better than any daystate, yes , you are all entitled to your opinions,

this was the first time I have had a chance to test the rifle out, but more importantly see what pellets the rifle will perform best with. I have read thousands of reviews about the rifle and yes some have been good and also some bad, so here is my first impressions about the rifle,

firstly the rifle feels very short and well balanced to shoulder and the stock has a nice feel to it also, is it daystate quality then my first impression would be NO,, there is no thumb up position to be used on the stock although the thumbhole is very comfortable indeed , the trigger will need to be adjusted because the first stage has way too much play for my liking, if the gun is a keeper then I will certainly change the trigger to a match trigger, a rowan engineering fully adjustable one,

now one thing I was impressed with was the build quality of the magazine and also the ease of use in putting pellets in it, daystate take note lol. The first thing I did for the tests was to change the front stock bolt to a stainless steel one that would take a bipod, this was an excellent idea and was simply just replace the front stock bolt, on went the bipod,

now I then decised to get all my .177 pellets from my gunroom so I could test this rifle to the max,

I had heard on the grapevine that these rifles are not pellet fussy,,how untrue was that statement because I,ll have to be honest and say THIS rifle is certainly pellet fussy,

I thought I would start the test with the pellets that my daystates prefer,these included accupell FT,,,AA Fields,,,FTT,s,,,JSB Exact,s etc I would then go onto my hunting pellets and the reason I call these hunting pellets is not because I use them for hunting but because they are heavier pellets, I only use what performs best in my rifles and domed heads for hunting ,,

well,, to say I was seriously disappointed is an understatement,,,,,

I started with the H&N Field Target Trophies,8.64g 4.52, they did manage to group but nowhere near as tight as they do in my Air ranger, it was then onto the Accupell Ft,s 8.4g 4.52,,, now these where a bit better than the previous and so much so 3 pellets went through the same hole but the other two where not tight,

now for the normally excellent pellet ,the AA Field,s 8.4g 4.52, these where the first pellet to fully group within 1 inch (25mm) that I had tried so far so these where put to one side to test again tomorrow .

I then decided to use the first of the hunting pellets,, The Barracuda Match pellet 10.65g 4.52, these perform superb in ALL my daystate rifles and I was certainly hoping they would perform better than the previous pellets I had used because I was not impressed at all, they didn,t disappoint because these produced the tightest group so far, please note I was also shooting 5 shot groups and the rifle was being filled to 180bar after each group was shot to make this test as fair as possible,i would fire five shots to get an approximate zero then record the data of the next 5 shots , so basically shooting 10 pellets of each batch of pellet, anyway back to the tests,,

I decided to give the H&N FTT,s another go as I was disappointed by the first results and these pellets have always shot well in any rifle I have owned, they disappointed me again , all over the 20mm target, now it was the Barracuda hunters turn 10.34g 4.50 now these pellets are normally accurate but again disappointed with not a tight group at all and also the ftlb was lower and fps slower also, I put this down to the head size being 4.50mm.

now to one of my favourite pellets , the JSB Exact Heavy 10.34g 4.52 well at bloody last , the first 4 pellets nailed the same hole but again one pellet pulled to the right which surprised me but not to worry at least it was a massive improvement on what I had put through the rifle before, I placed these pellets with the barracuda match to test further tomorrow,

now for my all time favourites jsb Exacts 4.53 8.44g pellet, well blow me I was seriously disappointed with these because they seriously grouped like a shotgun, all over the place, and the ftlb and speed of pellet was all over the place, here is a pick of the 5 shot tests I did with the rifle today

192_zps0pqvre0b.jpg

and a close up of the barracuda match

194_zpsopo4alp2.jpg

and the worst pellet I tried which was the jsb exact,s 8.44

193_zpsd73ey0ln.jpg

as you can see the grouping is not good at all so my search for the right pellet will continue tomorrow , I will also put up the 5 shot results for the ftlb and fps when I get a spare 5 mins for you to check over, you will be surprised by the results,

one thing I have noticed with the rifle is that on fireing the rifle is nowhere near as smooth recoil wise as any of my daystates and the hammer hitting the valve is a lot louder also, I was wondering if it was this that was causing the accuracy problems because the rifle certainly at the moment is not performing as well as any of my daystates, on another note,,do I like the side lever,,,,, not really and the reason being I like to feel the pellet entering the barrel which I can feel on the super smooth bolts of the daystates, judging by todays performance this could certainly be one big expensive experiment gone wrong to fing a rifle that will perform well, so far I have not been impressed at all with the accuracy of the hw100kt but so far I have not found a pellet that the rifle is shooting consistent with, I am fast running out of pellets, it looks like I,m gonna have to test different head sizes also ,

I will get there in the end but judging by how the rifle has performed so far I am very very disappointed to say the least with the accuracy,also the recoil issue which seems very strong for the pcp so much so it feels like the rifle is causing me to move on pulling the trigger, the other disappointment is I do prefer using a bolt rather than the side lever as I personally feel you have more control,,

I,ll update you all more tomorrow with the further testing and also my pros and cons with this somewhat disappointing HW100kt,

there must be a reason for it and if it kills me I will find what is causing the accuracy problem, oh by the way the rifle did not group well with the bisley mags either which was a shock because nearly all hw owners say they perform well in their rifles

thanks for reading and I,ll update this asap

cheers Evo

Edited by evo

Try RWS superdomes I have yet to have a HW barrel that does not like them .

Surely though if the rifle is putting 3 shots through one hole and two off the same mark it can be just as much operator error than the gun ??.

I think you need to get a tin of pellets and some lead in the barrel before you truly know what it can do .

Try RWS superdomes I have yet to have a HW barrel that does not like them .

Surely though if the rifle is putting 3 shots through one hole and two off the same mark it can be just as much operator error than the gun ??.

I think you need to get a tin of pellets and some lead in the barrel before you truly know what it can do .

fenboy, I agree that it will need a few more pellets in it before I can fully judge its potential for accuracy its had around 300 pellets through it so far and should by now at least group better but ALL my NEW daystates performed better than this rifle is at the moment even when NEW

I agree it can be shooters error also BUT believe me its not me,,i am getting fliers,, at first I wondered if it was clipping the mod but on examination its not, also why ? are the jsb exacts all over the place yet with my air ranger I get single hole groups, the rifle is being tested on a bipod and I can assure you its not shooters error, the one thing that I have notice with my daystates is although you can hear the hammer striking the valve the rifle does not move at all and that's any of them even including my wolverine b but the recoil off this rifle seems to move the rifle slightly, I was amased that the jsb heavies made the one hole group then threw in a wide pellet,

as said its trial and error at the moment but I will take on board regards the superdome,s

surely after350 pellets the rifle should be performing better ???, I will try tomorrow off the bipod again and also clamped up out of the stock to just erase shooter error (which its not ) .

it will be interesting to see what you think of the ftlb and fps results when I put them up, considering its regulated they are not consistent

atb Bob

I wish you were closer Evo, you would be welcome to try my HW out.

I've never said HW's are better than Daystates as I've never owned a Daystate so cannot comment. I did hold one once so I am a million miles from comparing the 2 makes.

My HW does shoot well though.

I know they shoot well bud but at the moment this new one isn't , I,ll get it right I have no doubt of that,

does yours have recoil, ie when firing are you getting slight recoil ? this is what I cant get my head round,,, my daystates do not budge at all or if they do its not to the extent that you can actually feel it,,

I have no doubt that I will eventually get this thing shooting blob on as I have seen just how well they can perform,

personally I think fenboy is correct in saying it needs a few more pellets through it, I also think the shooter ( me ) needs to gain a bit more confidence with it also and I,m working on that,what I am going to do is change the scope to a new Hawke panorama EV ao ir 3 x 9 x 50 as this is the scope I have on all my rifles and I know it like the back of my hand, will it make any difference ? I doubt it but I,ll have a bit more confidence with it that's for sure,

atb Evo

well chaps,, I,ve spent all morning trying the new rifle out , the distance I decided to set up was 40yrds, ok,, now I,ve bought this HW100KT because everyone whom owns them has told me just how good these things are and that they are better than any daystate, yes , you are all entitled to your opinions,

this was the first time I have had a chance to test the rifle out, but more importantly see what pellets the rifle will perform best with. I have read thousands of reviews about the rifle and yes some have been good and also some bad, so here is my first impressions about the rifle,

firstly the rifle feels very short and well balanced to shoulder and the stock has a nice feel to it also, is it daystate quality then my first impression would be NO,, there is no thumb up position to be used on the stock although the thumbhole is very comfortable indeed , the trigger will need to be adjusted because the first stage has way too much play for my liking, if the gun is a keeper then I will certainly change the trigger to a match trigger, a rowan engineering fully adjustable one,

now one thing I was impressed with was the build quality of the magazine and also the ease of use in putting pellets in it, daystate take note lol. The first thing I did for the tests was to change the front stock bolt to a stainless steel one that would take a bipod, this was an excellent idea and was simply just replace the front stock bolt, on went the bipod,

now I then decised to get all my .177 pellets from my gunroom so I could test this rifle to the max,

I had heard on the grapevine that these rifles are not pellet fussy,,how untrue was that statement because I,ll have to be honest and say THIS rifle is certainly pellet fussy,

I thought I would start the test with the pellets that my daystates prefer,these included accupell FT,,,AA Fields,,,FTT,s,,,JSB Exact,s etc I would then go onto my hunting pellets and the reason I call these hunting pellets is not because I use them for hunting but because they are heavier pellets, I only use what performs best in my rifles and domed heads for hunting ,,

well,, to say I was seriously disappointed is an understatement,,,,,

I started with the H&N Field Target Trophies,8.64g 4.52, they did manage to group but nowhere near as tight as they do in my Air ranger, it was then onto the Accupell Ft,s 8.4g 4.52,,, now these where a bit better than the previous and so much so 3 pellets went through the same hole but the other two where not tight,

now for the normally excellent pellet ,the AA Field,s 8.4g 4.52, these where the first pellet to fully group within 1 inch (25mm) that I had tried so far so these where put to one side to test again tomorrow .

I then decided to use the first of the hunting pellets,, The Barracuda Match pellet 10.65g 4.52, these perform superb in ALL my daystate rifles and I was certainly hoping they would perform better than the previous pellets I had used because I was not impressed at all, they didn,t disappoint because these produced the tightest group so far, please note I was also shooting 5 shot groups and the rifle was being filled to 180bar after each group was shot to make this test as fair as possible,i would fire five shots to get an approximate zero then record the data of the next 5 shots , so basically shooting 10 pellets of each batch of pellet, anyway back to the tests,,

I decided to give the H&N FTT,s another go as I was disappointed by the first results and these pellets have always shot well in any rifle I have owned, they disappointed me again , all over the 20mm target, now it was the Barracuda hunters turn 10.34g 4.50 now these pellets are normally accurate but again disappointed with not a tight group at all and also the ftlb was lower and fps slower also, I put this down to the head size being 4.50mm.

now to one of my favourite pellets , the JSB Exact Heavy 10.34g 4.52 well at bloody last , the first 4 pellets nailed the same hole but again one pellet pulled to the right which surprised me but not to worry at least it was a massive improvement on what I had put through the rifle before, I placed these pellets with the barracuda match to test further tomorrow,

now for my all time favourites jsb Exacts 4.53 8.44g pellet, well blow me I was seriously disappointed with these because they seriously grouped like a shotgun, all over the place, and the ftlb and speed of pellet was all over the place, here is a pick of the 5 shot tests I did with the rifle today

192_zps0pqvre0b.jpg

and a close up of the barracuda match

194_zpsopo4alp2.jpg

and the worst pellet I tried which was the jsb exact,s 8.44

193_zpsd73ey0ln.jpg

as you can see the grouping is not good at all so my search for the right pellet will continue tomorrow , I will also put up the 5 shot results for the ftlb and fps when I get a spare 5 mins for you to check over, you will be surprised by the results,

one thing I have noticed with the rifle is that on fireing the rifle is nowhere near as smooth recoil wise as any of my daystates and the hammer hitting the valve is a lot louder also, I was wondering if it was this that was causing the accuracy problems because the rifle certainly at the moment is not performing as well as any of my daystates, on another note,,do I like the side lever,,,,, not really and the reason being I like to feel the pellet entering the barrel which I can feel on the super smooth bolts of the daystates, judging by todays performance this could certainly be one big expensive experiment gone wrong to fing a rifle that will perform well, so far I have not been impressed at all with the accuracy of the hw100kt but so far I have not found a pellet that the rifle is shooting consistent with, I am fast running out of pellets, it looks like I,m gonna have to test different head sizes also ,

I will get there in the end but judging by how the rifle has performed so far I am very very disappointed to say the least with the accuracy,also the recoil issue which seems very strong for the pcp so much so it feels like the rifle is causing me to move on pulling the trigger, the other disappointment is I do prefer using a bolt rather than the side lever as I personally feel you have more control,,

I,ll update you all more tomorrow with the further testing and also my pros and cons with this somewhat disappointing HW100kt,

there must be a reason for it and if it kills me I will find what is causing the accuracy problem, oh by the way the rifle did not group well with the bisley mags either which was a shock because nearly all hw owners say they perform well in their rifles

thanks for reading and I,ll update this asap

cheers Evo

You're more accurate when you shoot my AYA 12 bore SBS lol

You're more accurate when you shoot my AYA 12 bore SBS lol

tell me about it pete, and you have seen how I can shoot lol

my head is at the moment cabbaged trying to work this accuracy thing out,,its certainly not me and that I am sure of, also judging by the fps and ftlb readings from the chrono something is amiss, I,ll get there with it though pete don't worry about that, first think is change the scope

nailed this little menace this morning gents with the new hw100kt, head shot at 35yrds using the jsb heavies, so the rifle is christened now lol

002_zpsppulpcxt.jpg

still need improvement with regards to accuracy so I,ll be working on that today

atb Evo

nailed this little menace this morning gents with the new hw100kt, head shot at 35yrds using the jsb heavies, so the rifle is christened now lol

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=d0a23602696f2fb051a2d9830a718e57&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=322458&p=2928822&md5check=f3b819b340c9aabcfd66c386c2672837&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,20RQjL9tRXI');//]]></script> 002_zpsppulpcxt.jpg&&0

still need improvement with regards to accuracy so I,ll be working on that today

atb Evo

The first with a New Gun is always Good!

Think the 3-9 scope will look better on the gun.

That one looks a tad big for my liking! :lol:

One word of advice that comes from a guy at my air gun club who owns a huntsman and a hw100. When loading the hw100 mags make sure the pellets are recessed in the mag and not flush with the holes in the mag. He had some issues with his until he tried this and now hes fine. Sounds silly i know

Edited by Zenduri