Dumping birds

michufc

Hi to all I went up the farm today with my mate to have a bit of a mooch around with a good friend and hopefully get a rabbit for the pot. Now I haven't been up to shoot for a little while as I have moved home so putting in the hours sorting that and my wife going back to work after having our kids and now my youngest has started school the time was right so I have to juggle the spare time with the kids so we often go up the farm as a way to spend quaility time together and also to see what's going on up the farm but I never take the guns as my kids are still very young.

Well we were walking around just chatting as my friend is a lot older than me and a proper gent who has got some health issues so he was just glad to be in the field. We were just coming up to the back of the woods and I climbed over the fence and into the woods and I was amazed to find a couple of geese caucuses and probably 50 pigeon and some crows just dumped I was fuming why would you do that really what is wrong with people. So we stopped and went to find the farmer to find out what's going on. So I told the farmer and to say he wasn't happy was a understatement he said that there is only one other person who can shoot on his land and he was going to call him and if he doesn't tell him the truth he is banned from shooting there.

I just wanted to vent and rant done now

Some people shoot for pest control, not everyone eats what they shoot.

I know some people class pigeon and in some places geese as pest.

Personally if I didn't want them I'd try to give them to someone who does so as not to waste them. Some people just enjoy the sport and shooting pests though.

I dont and wont leave anything laying about when im done . Pigeons go home with me . Even crows ( and i shoot a lot over the year ) get buried along the edge of the feild . It takes two mins to cover them over . I have a lot of public walking there dogs or just out for a stroll in the evenings and the last thing i want or need is agro from antis . I always carry a small spade in the back of the truck which makes things easy . Some peole laugh i say **** em ! In 30 odd yrs ive been shooting not one complant . And i really dont get the " respect the pigeon " but sod everything else its only vermin attitude . It all deserves our repect !

Atb

the holy than you attitude tickles me in a perfect word this wouldn't happen but it does and we should not be to quick to judge folk or if it causes so much outrage then if we come across a similar situation maybe we should just dispose of the evidence ourselves .Only my opinion no offence intended.

Personally, being on private ground and well away from public rights of way, I always put the pests I have shot under a hedge or over the fence in a wood. This time of the year they have either fed the local wildlife or rotted away in a week, can't see what the problem is. I'm certainly not putting them in a bag and paying the renderer to take them away.

I dont and wont leave anything laying about when im done . Pigeons go home with me . Even crows ( and i shoot a lot over the year ) get buried along the edge of the feild . It takes two mins to cover them over . I have a lot of public walking there dogs or just out for a stroll in the evenings and the last thing i want or need is agro from antis . I always carry a small spade in the back of the truck which makes things easy . Some peole laugh i say **** em ! In 30 odd yrs ive been shooting not one complant . And i really dont get the " respect the pigeon " but sod everything else its only vermin attitude . It all deserves our repect !

Atb

That's the way to go about it. I always take a good bit of time taking care of the dead. Never leave yourself open to ridicule by anyone.

Could well be a age thing , in reality I don't suppose who ever leave a few pigeons / crows ect under a hedge are not really doing to much harm , but it seem to me that it is mainly the younger ones who are doing it ( no offence intended ) , where as us older ones were brought up in a age where nothing much was wasted and to leave the countryside when you have finished shooting in the same way as when you started the day .

I am not into shooting large amounts of blackies ( as you call them ) , apart from the odd one or two, if I shoot a few its normally for the farm manager to put on a few sticks to try and keep other ones away from getting the same treatment .

Right from a early age I have always sold the pigeons I shoot , and still do , in fact the last ones I took up were last Sunday when I cleared my freezer out and took up the fresh ones I had shot on Saturday , if I worked it out with the cost of every thing I am at best breaking even or at a small lost , but I have the satisfaction that any thing I shoot is never or very rarely wasted .

I never dispose of any shot pests or vermin near a right of way or where someone is liable to come across them.Mostly use a hedge bottom well away from where anyone should bother to be.Sometimes in a corner of a wood and i tend to use the same places year after year as they are well out of where the general public should be on private land.

I wouldn't dump anything edible, but I think it's important to check with the landowner what they want you to do with vermin, and maybe offer a few ideas like burying, hedge bottoms etc. When I've been shooting ferals the land owner pointed out a particular bit of brush away from paths and the road, carcasses were always taken by the next time I was up!

Edited by e2000e2000e

but it seem to me that it is mainly the younger ones who are doing it ( no offence intended ).

No offence taken... But i think that is a very bold statement to say that the younger generation is where this happens. I am 31 and some of my shooting buddies are in there mid 20's and non of us leave what we have shot just dumped. One farm has a pit and a fire, if its a small bag then the foxes get a meal of crow in the hedgerow.

I only ever leave in hedges on private land where public will not see..

I shoot to eat, and have done since I started shooting with my grandad many years ago.

No offence taken... But i think that is a very bold statement to say that the younger generation is where this happens. I am 31 and some of my shooting buddies are in there mid 20's and non of us leave what we have shot just dumped. One farm has a pit and a fire, if its a small bag then the foxes get a meal of crow in the hedgerow.

I only ever leave in hedges on private land where public will not see..

I shoot to eat, and have done since I started shooting with my grandad many years ago.

I am not to far short of 70 , so when I say the younger generation it cover quite a big age group . and like I say putting a few under the hedge isn't really doing to much harm .

Nowadays with the Right To Roam the public are not always where they should be and even if they shouldn't be where the birds or animals have been dumped they take photos on there phones and then make a mountain out of a mole hill so to speak .

The estate owner where I worked wouldn't have been to happy if he came across a pile of dead birds been dumped under the edge and if it had been someone given permission to shoot the pigeons / crows his chances of coming back might have been in jeopardy as there were footpaths and farm walks spread all over the 5000 acre estate .

We had a pit in the middle of the estate where I would dig a hole with the digger and the keeper would put his vermin in and every so often I would fill it in and dig another , most farms have got something similar or a area close to the farm where general farm rubbish is dumped and well away from the public .