Elderly people and driving

neil3728

They're supposed to be for driver and pedestrian protection. Hit a ped in a landy and the result will be just a smear

I knew there was some reason not to drive on pavements.

Well at least I won't have to wash the Landy so often if I drive on the road only.

You have to wash it off pretty quick or it sets and then its a terrible job to get it clean. :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of lightning reflexes in todays young driver misses the point entirely. If they had an ounce of common sense, they wouldn't get themselves into a situation that they needed to react so fast. The statistics are clear. Young aggressive drivers are more likely to be in an accident than the elderly. All the personal anecdotal evidence recited on this thread is not the big picture.

The last young idiot round my way who was prone to speeding and general anti social driving, ended up ploughing through a wall. The only comment I heard from a bystander was "I hope it hurts"

Atb

There are fundamental differences between the young and the old(er) drivers - the young deliberately drive like idiots whereas the old are just old and deserve respect, courtesy and our patience. As a former insurance underwriter I can assure you in terms of both the cost of claims and the frequency (and it is a straight line multiplication) the young (lad) a far far worse risk. I know which one I'm more wary of when I'm on the road.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots . But there are no old bold pilots .

Harnser

I beg to disagree.We had some three hundred veterans here last week from bomber command to unveil a memorial to the Lancaster crews.If they were not bold I don't know what is and they are now in their nineties.heroes to a man.

A small tip,for the elderly drivers among us . I always right down on the back of my hand what car park I have parked in so that I can find the car again . I all ways use the sat nav to get home from the paper shop down the road .

Harnser

I also find it useful to write the make colour and registration on a label with my name and address and this is tied to the lapel of my jacket.

When parking the car in a strange town, use the sat nav hit screen facility to mark the position were you parked the car. Then slip the sat nav in your pocket/handbag. After a few hours shopping and when the mobility scooter batteries are getting low you can find the car in a jiffy. Also good for marking the position of interesting shops you want to find again.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

When parking the car in a strange town, use the sat nav hit screen facility to mark the position were you parked the car. Then slip the sat nav in your pocket/handbag. After a few hours shopping and when the mobility scooter batteries are getting low you can find the car in a jiffy. Also good for marking the position of interesting shops you want to find again.

I have a great little app on my phone called "find my mobility scooter" which is a tremendous help.

I'm confused. I just bought a new car and can't find the starting handle or the choke knob anywhere!

As an aside, SWMBO was out to dinner with her lady friends on Friday, one of whom is an insurance assessor. Somehow the topic of conversation came round to elderly drivers and the assessor stated that they always wonder when the next Honda Jazz automatic claim is going to come in. Which didn't go down with one lady who, at 65+, drives a Honda Jazz automatic! :lol:

Edited by Chris Bb