Calling a halt

brooktrout

What time of year do you guys call a halt to your rabbit shooting/ferreting?. I realise that there are exceptions in some areas where is a pest problem and you are comitted to keeping them down, but down here in Wales we normally stop at the first pregnant doe shot or ferreted, to protect our local stocks. This is mostly around this time of year, [mid JAN] but in recent years have come across them,with young, as early as mid December.

If i stopped ferreting at the first pregnant doe, i would have stopped near the end of december. We got a few milky doe's out on the lamp, on an area i do not ferret. I ferret a bit in a village called "Hayton" and i got milky does last time i was there, so i am not going ferreting there till next season. All the seasons are changing, my ferret hob is coming into season now, and i am sure one of the jills are aswell. We seen a deer down the river the over day and it had full velvet antlers, which is early. I dont start getting heavily into ferreting till about november, but i think this year i will start in september, well i will be getting a car soon, so i will be alrite. I have been knocking up a few miles on the moped! Only thing about the moped is it gets freezin and boring. :)