Advice needed...

shootgun

I disagree, the fox is just what it is.

There is a lot of nonsense spouted on here about 'urban' foxes.

The fact that they are moving into urban areas does not mean they cannot survive anywhere else.

They are hugely adaptable animals as has been seen and your suggestion is just another excuse to kill something IMO

I think I'll agree to disagree on this. :good: Will say BTW that I don't subscribe too the view that the only good fox is a dead one but moving 'your' problem onto someone else is not solving that problem.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll agree to disagree on this. :good: Will say BTW that I don't subscribe too the view that the only good fox is a dead one but moving 'your' problem onto someone else is not solving that problem.

But who says it has to be someone else's problem?

As far as I am aware foxes are not a major predator of wheat so releasing in an arable area shouldn't cause an issue

Why can't the fox decide where it goes, just make it unsuitable for it to make its home down the bottom of your garden.

Thats more like nature's way, it will then move on somewhere of its own accord. No dead Fox, one happy cat owner, or I should say 2 happy cat owner's

No, you didn't!

Didn't mean you bud, meant all the mentallists who claim a dead fox is a good fox, no matter whether they are an issue in the area or not.

Biggest thing they can shoot without DLC so think every one shot gives them an extra boillock

Chip on your shoulder about fox shooters much ?

Unfortunately, in a lot of rural areas, most farmers want all foxes gone, all the time. So if you want to shoot on their land, then you're shooting foxes. Or you're gone, and someone else is.

I'm on 2 syndicates. On both of those we try to severely curtail the number of foxes for our own needs. However, those 2 areas the farmers have the view that 'the only good fox is a dead fox'.

However, I also do pest control on a couple of decent-sized farms locally to me (one of which I can walk across my fields, cross a stile and be on the farm, so haven't even got to slip my gun). On both of those farms we leave foxes between March and November (unless they're too bold), as they control the rabbit population. In late autumn and winter though they get shot.

Chip on your shoulder about fox shooters much ?

Unfortunately, in a lot of rural areas, most farmers want all foxes gone, all the time. So if you want to shoot on their land, then you're shooting foxes. Or you're gone, and someone else is.

I'm on 2 syndicates. On both of those we try to severely curtail the number of foxes for our own needs. However, those 2 areas the farmers have the view that 'the only good fox is a dead fox'.

However, I also do pest control on a couple of decent-sized farms locally to me (one of which I can walk across my fields, cross a stile and be on the farm, so haven't even got to slip my gun). On both of those farms we leave foxes between March and November (unless they're too bold), as they control the rabbit population. In late autumn and winter though they get shot.

No, just of fox shooters who do it whenever they can whether it is required/necessary or not

What do you shoot? this forum is for the most part about shooting birds ie Pigeons and vermin including foxes, if you don`t like discussing the

demise of a pest why come on the forum and insult people with your generalisations, I have shot all my life, I have all ways known foxes as Charlie, I have no desire to emulate Rambo, and I only wear camouflage clothes when shooting, I also know that a few years ago before the ban our local hunt caught five foxes before lunch, they where thin mangy things and obviously not country foxes, it came to light that a transit had been seen a couple of nights before dropping off foxes in the fells, the poor **** hadn`t got a clue how to survive never mind run away from a pack of hounds.

Why does this have to end with it dead?

It is not causing a problem to livestock so why not just trap and let go where it can't cause problems?

Yes I know, this will lead to me being called an anti by all the Rambo wannabees who insist on calling them Charlie as if they are up against the Viet Cong and even do their shopping in camo, but please explain why the animal needs to be killed, or even if it is legal if not causing livestock issues.

I agree,

I've shot plenty of foxes, some were taking chickens. Some were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

But if one was regularly coming into my garden, making a set and stuff and not really causing any problem I would be reluctant to shoot it. I think I would probably trap it then release.

Vietnamese bamboo pit trap??

May just deal with the neighbours cats at the same time??

Only joking.

The above have some good suggestions, just make your garden as un appleaing as possible and see if it moves on.

If all else fails then give it both barrels.

Edited by a303

But who says it has to be someone else's problem?

As far as I am aware foxes are not a major predator of wheat so releasing in an arable area shouldn't cause an issue

You are quite right - Foxes don't really eat wheat so if you release the fox in an arable area 2 things are likely to happen:

1. It gets very hungry and starves to death

2. It gets very hungry and goes looking for `alternative food sources`

I'm just wondering what the `alternative food sources`would be?

I'm a bit on the fence with the urban fox thing and yes they are adaptable to a point, but I do think that foxes who think dinner is sponsored by MacDonald's do struggle in the countryside. They'll go for the easy meal - and if one doesn't exist what then? As has also been pointed out, they really aren't streetwise regarding the other dangers of living in the countryside.

With regard to the OP - it's not the foxes fault, it hasn't killed anything. Moving it on does make it someone else's problem but I'm not sure that justifies killing it. Having said that, where do you relocate it?

I've always called a fox `Charlie` and he has been since c.1790 which I think pre-dates Vietnam. I don't wear camo clothing in public except for special occasions :)

Start by peeing in old bottles save embarrassing the neighbours when they look out the kitchen window. Then of a night just douse your fence line or 4 corners of boundary. I also think you can put your locks of hair in your old girls stockings and hang them around the fence which is suppose to be a deterrent, so get down your barbers and get sweeping!