Pinks - massive counts

scolopax

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New arrivals of pinks on the north Norfolk coast this morning. Last weekend we had no pinks on our marsh , but this morning 6 skiens totaling 400 came off the sands at dawn on theold flightlines across the marsh ( all the few pinks we have had so far this season hae flighted a long way to the east and probably headed for the Broads.

These pinks may have come down from the North or they may be the 500 I saw comming up from the Broads on Monday.

Do you have a problem, most of your comments go off Half Cocked.?.

Did I say that..No, I said More of Sizeable Skein had Come Through,

Their will be more following as the weather up North gets Colder..

That wasn't a comment, it was a question.I just think it is odd that three days ago you posted that they have not moved south yet, when I know that they most certainly have. Now all of a sudden, your 'prediction' is correct.

That wasn't a comment, it was a question.I just think it is odd that three days ago you posted that they have not moved south yet, when I know that they most certainly have. Now all of a sudden, your 'prediction' is correct.

I didn't say that either.

The LARGE SKEINS are NOT Here yet,But, I am not a soothsayer, observation over 52 years of Wildfowling does give you a Slight insight, Don't you think..?.

I didn't say that either.

The LARGE SKEINS are NOT Here yet,But, I am not a soothsayer, observation over 52 years of Wildfowling does give you a Slight insight, Don't you think..?.

To be fair you said they had not moved down from scotland yet , which was a broad statement and an incorrect one.

I thought you said that there were 55.

I exaggerated its the fisherman in me , I cant help it :lol:

I think we can safely say that our country is home to a large percentage of the worlds population of Pink Footed Geese at this time of the year , and none of us would have to far to travel up and down the country to either watch or try and put one in the bag , we know they move around and can cover many miles from one day to the next , so not only are they gypsies of the sky they can be classed as gypsies of the land as well , very nomadic and the urge to move on at short notice .

Its obvious you cannot count period.lol.

Do you know the difference between a few dozen and 25000, I do..

I have seen a few feral geese hang about, over the years..

Ok,Try to get the maths CORRECT,,, There are multimuls of thousands still up there..

Those up the NORTH, Tell these guys down here,, you have to use more than one hand to count...LOL.

Its obvious you cannot count period.lol.

Do you know the difference between a few dozen and 25000, I do..

I have seen a few feral geese hang about, over the years..

Ok,Try to get the maths CORRECT,,, There are multimuls of thousands still up there..

Those up the NORTH, Tell these guys down here,, you have to use more than one hand to count...LOL.

Yes I know the difference , I also know the difference between those people who can make educated statements and those that must be right at all costs , you made a daft claim and now you want to move the goal posts to suit, and its every body else at fault :lol:

As you must be right there is little more point me posting on this thread so I will let you have the final say , perhaps you can use it to convince yourself you are right.

Ah, the foot on the weigh sling technique, or the 'call it 40' syndrome a la Jim Shelley, allegedly.

To be fair you said they had not moved down from scotland yet , which was a broad statement and an incorrect one.

I exaggerated its the fisherman in me , I cant help it :lol:

Yes I know the difference , I also know the difference between those people who can make educated statements and those that must be right at all costs , you made a daft claim and now you want to move the goal posts to suit, and its every body else at fault :lol:

As you must be right there is little more point me posting on this thread so I will let you have the final say , perhaps you can use it to convince yourself you are right.

Yes, Final say, as people that try to twist words, on the other hand I never rattled your cage in the first place.. Right, thousands more will becoming before the end of november.

That is Fact and should not be twisted to suit you..

Not everyone on here lives localy,As MISSER,, Lancs has said he see's loads up there, and I used to shoot up Lancs and Scotland, and the FREE Marsh' that used to be on the East Coast, Sadly all Gone..

Unless of Course you know different...lol.

I have to use more than one hand to count each salvo of shots I hear each morning from the stubbles. Each salvo can have up to 15 shots, goodness knows how many salvos. I guess we have some foreign visitors..........

I'm just leaving Aberdeenshire now after a weeks shooting There are large numbers of pinks here but the mild weather means that they are only briefly coming off the loch and are not venturing far I would say there are not as many here as usual for this time of year,but the early geese moved south more or less straight away On Wednesday we saw large numbers leaving the loch and heading off down the coast clearly moving down the country

LOL!

Although saying that, in the early hours one cold frosty full moon night in October, 2006 I think, I did hear a small lot of pinks calling high up above Hockley, near Southend on Sea. I even ran out into the garden in just my pants to make sure. Where they were from or going I don't know.

Can't wait for them to reach Essex.

Edited by Penelope

LOL!

Although saying that, in the early hours one cold frosty full moon night in October, 2006 I think, I did hear a small lot of pinks calling high up above Hockley, near Southend on Sea. I even ran out into the garden in just my pants to make sure. Where they were from or going I don't know.

Whitefronts perhaps !!!!! But Elmley Sherness and the Swale areas get small numbers of Pink's every Season definitely for at least the last 12yrs.

I read that there were some massive counts of pinks this weekend,

85,600 at Montrose

82,750 in the Lothians(?)

94,000 in Lancashire

Richard still got thousands here at fighting from inland, some have slipped over to the Humber but anything from 2-5k have been flighting daily since the start of the month...

Will start loosing them now most of the stubbles are worked up, time to get the motor packed and head north,

Definitely Pinks B. The Medway could well have been the destination. Svalbard birds from Holland?

Whitefronts perhaps !!!!! But Elmley Sherness and the Swale areas get small numbers of Pink's every Season definitely for at least the last 12yrs.

Edited by Penelope

Definitely Pinks B. The Medway could well have been the destination. Svalbard birds from Holland?

Have to say I think your spot on Mate where the Pinks in the area mentioned come from.

Just to add another Goose to the mix Bean Goose 43 was in the area late last season how many can tell those from Pinks! !!!!

LOL!

There were 3 last year along the Crouch and 3 a few weeks ago.... If they are increasing so much I reckon we will have some in a few years time.

Maybe not this year though....

Interesting.

I see no reason why not over time that we may get a few, other than we are on mostly mud with very little sand, and I think they use sand for their gizzards. There is space to roost and the crops inland are similar to around the Wash, perhaps not so much sugar beet and certainly not the extent of grass as there is in Broadland.

I have seen Whitefronts on the Crouch and came the closest I have come to shooting one up N. Fambridge way.

There were 3 last year along the Crouch and 3 a few weeks ago.... If they are increasing so much I reckon we will have some in a few years time.

Maybe not this year though....

Edited by Penelope

The pinks were pushing south quite strongly a couple of years ago with several hundreds getting onto some of the Suffolk estuaries , but this seemed to have slowed or indeed they may have retreated north a little into North Suffolk\South Norfolk. I have wondered what changed their minds , perhaps a change in cropping or over zelious goose shooting perhaps. With numbers increasing the way they are they have to find food somewhere so perhaps they will push southwards again in a few years in numbers. There seem to be plenty in several parts of Norfolk , though not many on my local marsh , but I always think you can never be sure how many have arrived at this time of year until a few days after the full moon when we have several hours of darkness forcing them out onto their roosts at dusk.