Defender imobiliser problem?

mrpip

Anyone out there got any ideas

Land rover Defender 90 TD5, 55 plate 76,000 miles

I have had this from nearly new & apart from basic repairs etc have never had had any problems, about 6 months ago started with an intermittent starting problem. Turn key & only the red lights coming on & no orange lights & no fuel pump kicking in, took it to an independent land rover repairer & he had the computer on it, but it was showing no faults. He found a small amount of oil in the ecu plug, cleaned it & everything OK for a couple of weeks. Then it started again so he changed the injector wiring loom, same again for a few week then started again, but this time no oil in the ecu plug. All OK for a couple of week but now it's started again but more frequent, read what I could of different forums & tried the basics locking it unlocking it made sure the fob battery was replaced go through the routine & it starts. Then Friday night finished lamping rabbits 1 ish stopped to gut up & it decided to play up again. Got it going again after about half an hour, stopped to lock the farm gate & it cut out & refused to start, so called out the AA (told an hour before they could get there) sat waiting & kept trying again about half an hour later it fired up & managed to get home. Got a call from AA recovery man as I got home, told him the story & he said sounds like an immobiliser fault & its quite common on TD5's. Sorry for the novel but I've tried to give as much info as possible. So if anyone as come across this before can you let me know.

Cheers Paul

Surely if it common on TD5's then the problem / cure should be on forums ?

Only going on what AA said, found an old topic with similar issues, but no answers, would be better if it stopped for good, then there would be more chance of finding the reason

Immo is controlled via the fob. If it unlocks the car then it should take off the immo. Also you say it cut out. Very rare for the immo to cut a running engine out, it's only active on first ignition on.

I would say it is not a immo issue. Could be ecu itself getting hot and breaking a dry solder, and after 30 mins or so it's cooled enough to restart. Or maybe a faulty 10as alarm unit behind clocks. Needs a auto spark to look over it, but does not sound like an immo fault.

Immo is controlled via the fob. If it unlocks the car then it should take off the immo. Also you say it cut out. Very rare for the immo to cut a running engine out, it's only active on first ignition on.

I would say it is not a immo issue. Could be ecu itself getting hot and breaking a dry solder, and after 30 mins or so it's cooled enough to restart. Or maybe a faulty 10as alarm unit behind clocks. Needs a auto spark to look over it, but does not sound like an immo fault.

cheers, what made me think it could be the immobiliser was it usually happens when its been stood or I can go out park up for the day, & it does it again, then it can run ok for a week never missing a beat, does my head in. It has cut out when driving twice but kicks straight back in again, when it cut out Friday night it was idling while I was sorting gates out

Had a similar problem on a discovery. It would sometimes also cut out on rough ground.

Ran a separate switched live to fuel cut off solenoid.

May be worth a try

It's TD5, no fuel solenoid

Agreed

I had a very similar problem on a Subaru Legacy and a Defender Puma. Both went back to main dealers and both their computers showed "no problems".

I seem to recall that checking all the various relays (in box by steering wheel?) are properly plugged in is one of the first checks to make. It's bloody annoying and inconveniencing when it does happen.

Try the connections on the yellow relays under the drivers seat!!!!!!!!!

Trawled the net for hours, & found an old thread on landyzone, which was the exact same problem. One reply was as above (yellow relays) , anyway managed to get 2 from a mate, pulled up at his place, turned off the engine & it refused to start (same as before) Fit the new relays & it fired straight up, Had a good run out today, plenty of stopping & restarting, never missed a beat, parked up for an hour went back & it started no problem. Wishful thinking that was the problem

Thanks for the replies