FAC airgun

foxnet22

I've just had my FAC renewal visit today all seems to have gone well and its seems I've been granted a FAC airgun on my licence. I wonder what airguns you lads use what make models,calibre would be recommended. I was thinking rapid 7 due to bottle size and shot count or maybe FAC rated hw100 I previously owned the hw100 and found it to be one of the best airguns I've ever owned .but how are they at FAC levels?.and then there is the air arms 410 extra ?

Edited by foxnet22

Hello mate

I have had quite a few FAC rated air rifles and the best I have had and still have is the Daystate Airwolf, it is very accurate with a shot count of over 60 at 28 ft/lbs with obviously less at 40 ft/lbs. I have also had a Rapid which I found not very accurate even with trying about 20+ different makes of pellet through it, also a bind to keep removing bottle when you needed to charge it. The Air Arms 410 extra I found accurate enough but was seemed to long, some people have no problem with it but it was not for me. Hope this helps .

Shorty

Depends how much you want to spend really.

HW100 has a dreadful reputation in FAC for some reason the accuracy seems to go down the toilet at FAC levels. Fantastic guns in sub 12 but have never seen a decent word said about them in FAC.

If you want to splash the cash a bit FX are awesome in FAC the smooth twist barrels seem to love FAC power. Also the shot count is high for most of there models with the Royal kicking out 60 odd shots at 32 ft/lb.

My next purchase on variation is going to be a Bobcat in .25 cal as after shooting one I really liked the feel of it and the pointability.

However the cost is high for them being in the +£800 bracket

Otherwise I would look at Daystate there are a fair few FAC rangers knocking about for reasonable money good shot count and really accurate.

At the moment I am shooting a .22 FAC Daystate Merlyn which I cant fault 23 ft/lb in .22 and really accurate.

I tried a 410/510 extra and found them awfully long with a mod on. Almost felt like if the bunny was close enough you would hit it over the head with the barrel :lol:.

@Zetter re the hw100, have a look at the youtube channel Tedsholdover as he did a review on the hw100 and some scopecam footage in slow mo.

It seems that at high fps the pellet looses stability from the hw100 even with heavy pellets and he caught video of the pellets corkscrewing in mid air time after time, with a variety of pellets and this is what causes the innaccuracy. His conclusion was that the fps was too high and caused the stability issues

Found Air Arms Diablo Field 5.5mm best, followed by H&N FTT 5.5mm. 3/4" and 1" at 30 yds when I can do my bit, not so often these days?

Would think about 22ftlbs maybe?

It has a Titan XS spring and is smooth for a springer?

Personally think "Marmite" jobs, love em or?

Much will depend on your budget. Daystates don't come cheap. AA 410/510, Very long and nose heavy , when fitted with a moderator.

BSA, 'IF' you get a good one,are OK .Springers , and Gas Rams , are ok if your good enough to shoot them accurately.

PCP's with gas tubes designed for 12FT/LBs , will give low shot counts in fac.(But how many rabbits can you carry?)

Every one will tell you that FAC Air rifles are cheaper, because you have to get a 'ticket ' to own one , but, I couldn't find

one within my budget.

So still use my S410 .177 Carbine , as my primary hunting tool. I have a .22 CZ452 Rimmy, but that's not an option , where there

is livestock.

Would try the AT44-10 IN FAC, as the foreign write up's give a reasonable reviews.

I use a Daystate AIrwolf MVT in .22 and the beauty f that is that you can choose your desired shot velocoty in the fly thrugh its little computer because it has a chrono built into the barrell.

I can set it as a sub 12 or have it full power but I find that around the 30-40 ft/lb limit to be the most accurate. For example Ive found a bisley magnum to travel the best at about 850 fps.

The MVT set me back about £800 though!

Some great replys thanks lads..I'm leaning towards trying the old springer maybe with open sights ,something a bit different from the usual and back to the old way of knocking the odd rabbit,pheasant etc down.I have a .22 rimfire bt in certain situations due to livestock a fac airgun would be ideal.

Some great replys thanks lads..I'm leaning towards trying the old springer maybe with open sights ,something a bit different from the usual and back to the old way of knocking the odd rabbit,pheasant etc down.I have a .22 rimfire bt in certain situations due to livestock a fac airgun would be ideal.

Have you tried using .22 short ammo Remington shorts fire at around 32 foot lb so around the same as a FAC air rifle.I use them around the barns when full rounds would be to powerful. When not out with the or I use my airwolf mvt which is a great FAC gun but heavy for all day carry Edited by psycho

Have you tried using .22 short ammo Remington shorts fire at around 32 foot lb so around the same as a FAC air rifle.I use them around the barns when full rounds would be to powerful. When not out with the or I use my airwolf mvt which is a great FAC gun but heavy for all day carry

. No not tried these what are the price of them thanks.

HW80 for me at about 18ft/lb. Freedom!

UD, No pee take, do you find that an extra 6 ft/lb makes that much real world difference? I don't mean the benefits of pcp, spring, or calibre. Maybe you get a flatter trajectory?

I have fac air on my ticket, but I've tried to go down the low power .22lr route, but found the accuracy really bad.

Cheers

Jamie