Pheasant tails

Hi guys just wondering if you have had issues with the tails on your birds this year ?? Been doing mine for the last 30 yrs and had no issues but this year they have been a nightmare ,everything has been the same (pens. Covers ) but they kept pulling them ,the only thing different is different pellets ,with a slight increase in protein levels during the early stages. ? Any thoughts ???? Cheers

Hi there, we've had the same problem this year.some of the tail's have been really bloodied.

never had this problem before.The only thing we can put it down to is when we got the poult's,

there were some different aged one's mixed together.

The older one's picking on the younger one's perhaps.

just a thought.

Mine are fine, infact will be very well grown birds by the time we shoot. Have your pens got tired and have less greenery and more sludge, or did you have a lot of wet weather to stress them out? Tail pecking is usually a sign of some sort of stress, could even have been a habit they came with from the game farm if they had been hot, or cramped or diseased

hi all,

also had some problems here with the tails

I rear some and also buy in, the bought in birds were the worst for tail damage

I can tell you for sure it has been the weather

I noticed on the wet days during the summer, birds were skulking about bored and looking for something to pick at.

when its a normal summer the birds are away wandering and chasing insects, dusting etc, but when its wet they are hanging around under shelters or trees and looking to do something to fill the time and their friends tail gets it

normally the tails heal and eventually catch up, but not this year, some of the damage has been irreversible. some of my birds look like grouse more than pheasants