First day of the season

OJW

Hi,

First off thank you to those who have been giving me GoPro advice over the previous weeks. This was my first time using / editing one and hopefully I will get better! Equally hopefully my shooting will improve!

I recently hosted a day for friends from all over the country, most of whom hadn't shot game before, in the hope that they get hooked and add to our sporting ranks.

We had a fantastic time and the team gelled well. I selected a day early in the season in the hope that the birds would be sporting but attainable for the new chaps. The shoot was about 40minutes from Surrey and the bag was 100birds.

The new guns had loaders with them to teach and maintain safety and behind the line was an expert team of pickers up. We shot some of the shoots new drives because it worked well for us to have a few slow drives to help people get their eye in. I shot with 32g 6 Eley carts (if anyone cares).

I didn't shoot particularly well but that's not really the point of the video, hopefully I will see an improvement in my shooting as the season progresses. I hope you enjoy watching what I felt was a great day out.

Edited by OJW

Thanks BB, we need to get down to Bisley soon! Big Al not sure what to do to get it to work for you in the topic but have sent you a pm that might help you view it.

:good: As soon as my sgc renewal comes back mate I will drop you a PM,i did fancy booking a sim day they are advertising in November but will have to wait out on the cert :good: BB

Thanks BB, we need to get down to Bisley soon! Big Al not sure what to do to get it to work for you in the topic but have sent you a pm that might help you view it.

Many thanks for the link. They both work now - maybe my wifi at fault.

Really enjoyed that. That looked like a great 3rd drive. Our first shoot is this Saturday -your clip has got me raring to go.

Thanks for posting.

Well filmed that. For a team of novices they were nice suitable birds that most of them should have killed a few. But take a good line there and they would hardly fire a shot, no doubt the keeper has a range of easier and harder drives to suit the skills of the gun line. Sounds like a good day, thanks for sharing.

A

Well filmed that. For a team of novices they were nice suitable birds that most of them should have killed a few. But take a good line there and they would hardly fire a shot, no doubt the keeper has a range of easier and harder drives to suit the skills of the gun line. Sounds like a good day, thanks for sharing.

A

The keeper was fully briefed on the team and planned an appropriate day for them so hats off to him. My big concern was that people may have got over excited shot the bag early given the chance so there was some drip feeding at the start.

Always nice to watch what people have been up to. Looks like drive three was, indeed, the best of the day - hope everyone enjoyed what they had over them and have caught the bug. Top effort on putting that video together as a first attempt. Only thing I'd comment on was the slight fisheye look to it... Good wide view, just took a couple of minutes to get used to the slight distortion. Colours were good though - seen quite a few videos on YouTube that look almost washed out, not so yours.

I keep considering a GoPro, mostly for shooting, but still a little unsure - don't really want it on my gun or my head! Will just enjoy other's efforts for the time being.

Looks like a good day was had by all :good:

The 3rd drive looked like it had the most action and your neighboring gun had a good shot @ 13.20 in. If he was one of the novice guns, I bet he was chuffed to land one at your feet. I been known to do that now and again :whistling:

How did the hamper go down and what did you have in it in the end?

I look forward to seeing your next video.

ATB

Sabs

SABS - haha yes, wish I had got that fully on film! And yes, your reputation proceeds you on these boards! I will try and upload some hamper pics later. My photo bucket wasn't working last night when I tired.

Fred Walton - you'll have a great time in Yorkshire I'm sure! Let us know how you get on.

I've been invited on a day this Saturday totally out of the blue so will try and get another video up after that.

Dunno what you were worried about mate video is spot on watching them fly at 8:30ish was a awesome view, filmed well and edited well, only criticism id have would be to clip it up a bit but that being said its cool to hear the beaters and everyone else in the luls of activity. Well done mate. I've subscribed too 👍

Cheers

Voodoo

Good first video.

Some feedback and things I have learned since the first video I done. Instead of going straight into the first drive, maybe do a small written introduction to let everyone know the date, location etc. Any images of the day or final bag is sometimes good to put in.

Keep posting the videos, I love watching footage of everyones outings.

Good first video.

Some feedback and things I have learned since the first video I done. Instead of going straight into the first drive, maybe do a small written introduction to let everyone know the date, location etc. Any images of the day or final bag is sometimes good to put in.

Keep posting the videos, I love watching footage of everyones outings.

+1

Thanks guys, I will take on board you tips and make sure I implement them next time.

What makes for better viewing, either just filming my shots (misses and all) or filming a bit more of the drive? I tried to sort of include more standing around as well so it didn't just look like a highlights video, but maybe that's what people prefer? I'm hopefully going to be abel to have another go filming on on Sat.

Oh and thanks for subscribing haha, I had to make a YouTube channel to post them.

I personally prefer to make a highlights video with clips of stuff to break it up (loading, the birds flying, good views etc) its all down to preference i guess i just like to make videos that i like to watch haha try intro and outtros too maybe driving to the shoot and get behind everyone walking off the field at the end of the day for a finish? Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Voodoo

Thanks guys, I will take on board you tips and make sure I implement them next time.

What makes for better viewing, either just filming my shots (misses and all) or filming a bit more of the drive? I tried to sort of include more standing around as well so it didn't just look like a highlights video, but maybe that's what people prefer? I'm hopefully going to be abel to have another go filming on on Sat.

Oh and thanks for subscribing haha, I had to make a YouTube channel to post them.

Highlights I find is better. I try to cut my videos as much as I can as I think some people lose interest after a few minutes.

However, on formal shoots I like seeing the meet & greet in the morning, elevenes etc. Like cranfield said, some nice scenery never hurts either.

Don't forget to include some of the misses too; we are all human after all :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I will always upload the misses! Else there wouldn't be enough shots.

The problem with having video of the other aspects of the day is that I don't feel comfortable filming the other guns even with permission as they may have clients who don't like shooting. It's much easier to ask if people mind me filming my own POV on a peg with no one else's faces in that it is filming all aspects of the day. I'll ask on the ones were I know everyone fairly well.

Thanks for the feedback.